“Clean, Comfortable & Good Value”

The Thunderbird Inn
Ranked #33 of 115 Hotels in Savannah
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 16, 2009

I really enjoyed my stay at The Thunderbird Inn. I had a great King Size bed, the room had been recently refurbished, was really clean and comfortable with free wifi and I really liked the atmosphere of the place. I didn't have a car and it is a just on the edge of the historic district but don't let this put you off. By this time on my travels I was tired of characterful dingy hotel rooms, this was the complete antidote. I got a fantastic rate booking online and arrived at 8am but they let me check in straight away for the forthcoming night.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,735)

Reviewed July 12, 2009

This 60's style motel was really the best we had in 3 weeks time on a roadtrip throughout the USA. Very friendly staff, perfect rooms, clean and having everything you'd like to have. There was really nothing to complain about besides the traffic noise from the street next to the Inn that gets quite busy in the morning hours. This place is really perfect if you want to walk Savannah's historic distric, it's just a 10 minute walk through the quarter down to the bay street. We loved this place and can recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Panic_in_Detroit
Reviewed July 10, 2009

This motel is clean, the service is exelent and it's less than 2 blocks from Savannahs historic district. It might not have a recognisable name like highly regarded hotel chains but it's in that catigory only at half the price. I would recomend it to anyone who is staying in Savannah

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 9, 2009

A girls weekend in Savannah was just want we needed. I found this hotel for a great price on Travelocity. The hotel is just a few blocks from all the action, shopping and historic district. We parked the car and walked everywhere. The room was clean and the bed comfy. When I travel I don't spend too much time in the hotel just a place to clean up and get a few hours of shut eye. I have to be out exploring the town that I am visiting.

There where some reviews about the neighborhood, with any college/tourist town or any bus station I have been to there are always questionable people. It's a shame but that is just the world we live in. There were 3 single gals (34-23 yrs old) on this trip walking everywhere and we didn't feel unsafe. Granted we took precautions as any single gal does not matter where they are.

All in all, I would recommend this hotel. It is affordable (travelocity had a room with 2 queens for 80 bucks a night over the 4th of July)

Recommendations:
Casbah (Moroccan food - AMAZING)
Crab Shack (great seafood)
The Clothing Warehouse (the best vintage shop EVER)
Savannah Smiles (dueling piano bar)

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank galfunseeker
Reviewed July 5, 2009

My husband and I stayed a couple of nights as a side trip from St Augustine. The motel is just what it says. A remodeled retro 60"s motel. No frills, no pool, no room service, just a clean place to stay. The furniture was 60's style and the bed as very comfortable. There was coffee/juice and donuts each morning in the "far out" painted lobby. The location was good for us. It is just on the fringe of the historic district of Savannah. We walked to most things and used the trolly for areas too far to walk. We would stay there again for the convenience and the price. We have stayed in more expensive well-known motels/hotels that were worse.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 3, 2009

I thought about staying at this hotel before last time I was in Savannah. In the future, I will always look at staying at this hotel. The price is excellent, especially when compared to other properties. While the room is a little small, the decor is perfect and makes for a fun experience. It took me a little back to the old family motor trips I had when I was young. Even my teenage daughter enjoyed the experience. The room was perfectly clean too.
The best part of this Inn is the service at the Front Desk. They accomodated every one of our requests, and answered all of our questions. They provided us quality insight into where to go and what to do in Savannah. It was one of the most helpful front desks I've experienced. I definitely will stay here again. It's also an easy walk to everything in the Historic District.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank AAGreene
Reviewed June 20, 2009

Looks are deceiving, but the rooms are very clean and updated. Very surprised they have night turn down service with a choclate on the pillow. Would recommend the Thunderbird Inn in Savanah to anyone visiting there. Close to downtown and easily
accessible to everything.