“This place is great!”

GreenLeadersGold level
London, United Kingdom
“This place is great!”
Reviewed June 10, 2009

I stayed here with my husband for one night, and we really liked this place. Its good value and is about half a mile from the historic district and main attractions.

When we arrived we were given a free upgrade to a king suite and it was a really nice room - spacious and clean and had an amazingly comfortabled bed. The decor is really nice - the Thunderbird has a retro theme.

The staff we spoke to were very friendly when it came to giving us directions and restaurant recommendations. I would say they went above and beyond giving us good customer service.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LouLouLouey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
Atlanta
Reviewed June 6, 2009

I don't consider myself prissy, but I have to admit that my first impression of this motel was pretty negative. My room did not seem 100% clean--the carpet was stained and filthy-looking, it didn't look like the corners of the room or the bedsteads had been dusted in years, and the linens had some hairs in them. Also, the room was tiny and even with the lock engaged, my door did not seem to shut all the way. There was a big gap between the door frame and the door. This would have been scary had I not been staying with someone.
However, after my first night here I changed my mind. The motel was very quiet, the staff was friendly, and the beds were comfortable. It was a great place to crash at the end of the night. Also the location is unbeatable, and the price was reasonable. The other people staying in the motel looked normal--I didn't see anyone seedy, or any kind of crime going on. I disagree with the other posters who thought this motel was in a bad part of town. It looked fine to me--but then again, I've lived in several urban areas and maybe I'm used to it.
I would recommend that the management install some deadbolt locks and fix the doors so that they close properly.
This would be a good choice for young people traveling in groups who want to be close to all the nightlife. However, if I visited Savannah in the future, I think I'd pay a little more for a less-"economy" style hotel.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed June 1, 2009

Our room at the Thunderbird Inn was pretty small, but it was clean and comfortable. The outside of the hotel could have really used some work, but the room had been redone, except for the bathroom, which was very small and really needed some work.
Outside the hotel was a different story though. It was further away from everything than all the other hotels were. It was across from a Greyhound Bus Station, but that didn't bother us any.
One night, we were walking back from River Street, and we stopped at a gas station really close to the hotel. The place was swarming with cops, which really worried me. I was pretty scared after that.
The main thing, though, was that after we got home we were talking to someone who used to live in Savannah. When we told her where we stayed, she got a horrified look on her face and said that a Savannah Police Officer was shot and killed there.
While my experience wasn't too bad, I would not stay at the Thunderbird Inn again.

• Stayed April 2009
West Palm Beach
Reviewed June 1, 2009

I stayed at the Thunderbird Inn over Memorial Day weekend. I was attracted to the Thunderbird Inn because of the location and price.

The positives

- The location. I was a little concerned because of some feedback I read about the location. While it is across the street from the bus station, I did not feel uncomfortable in the area, although cabs are cheap in Savannah and it's hot so I would advise taking cabs anyway. I do not think the hotel is in a seedy neighborhood and found it to be very close to everything I wanted to do while I was there.

- The staff. Very friendly and helpful. Nice people. No complaints with them at all.

The negatives

- Parking. Apparently they added an addition to the hotel but didn't add parking. It's a nightmare. If you're lucky enough to find a parking spot, you might get blocked in. If the hotel is booked you will run into this problem.

- Cleanliness. The room did not smell fresh. The bathroom was disgusting. When walked into the bathroom there was a huge hair-ball on the floor. Sadly I don't think they could clean the bathrooms enough to make them look clean. The tile in the bathroom was very dirty, especially in the corners.

- Room size. The rooms are small. I would not advise more than two people staying in one room

- Noise. The hotel is right on the road and there is a lot of noise from the traffic. You can also hear the pipes/water when the guests in the next room are showering. It is loud enough to wake you up.

While I wouldn't stay at the Thurderbird Inn again, or recommend it to a friend, the stay did not ruin my vacation. It just wasn't as comfortable as it could have been had I selected a different hotel. If you choose to stay there don't have high expectations.

Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed May 26, 2009

We read about the Thunderbird Inn in the NY Times write-up of Savannah; and not having a clue where to stay, we jumped at such a good deal. Our expectations weren't great, due some rather harsh reviews and the idea that you could get a great room for such a low price, but we did get a great room and the staff were very kind to us. They went out of their way to help us out, recommend restaurants, provide directions and so forth. Our room was very clean, the beds were so comfortable we didn't want to leave. The location is perfect for getting to the Historical District or for getting out to the Interstate and areas beyond.

It's still a roadside motel, though it's been trendily refurbished; so if you expect silver, white table cloths, and a full breakfast, you are in the wrong place. But for the money you're paying, you couldn't ask for a better stay. I think it's the best deal in Savannah.

1 Thank TravelingThru_BC
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed May 20, 2009

Overall Disappointing. Here is the bad list:
- Location directly across from the Bus Station! Watch out!!!
- Window A/C unit drained/leaked directly onto the floor IN the room, saturating the carpet about 2-3 feet into the room. Then the maid left my bag on the floor after she 'cleaned' and all my things got wet.
- "Comp. Breakfast" consisted of plain Krispy Kremes only! Even the welcome letter in the room mentioned cereal and bagels but nope. Nothing healthy. Nothing that took any thought or effort what so ever. Very disappointing.
- Overall very dated. Advertised as a quaint, retro, hip little place but it was barely tolerable.
- No wireless if you are further than 5 rooms away from the office.

Here is the good list:
- They did have nice bedding (even if the maid doesn't know that the opening to a duvet goes at the BOTTOM of the bed, not the top!)
- Nice towels. Would have been better had the bathroom floor tile been cleaned with some bleach in the last couple of years.
- A nice upgrade to have the curved shower curtain rod so there is more room in the shower but again, Mgmt seemed to have stopped a bit short. It would have been nice had the shower head been replaced also with something nice. I'm not a fan of being blasted with water.
- Shampoo and Conditioner provided but it was some really childish, no-brand, stuff with ridiculous names like "Snazzy Shampoo." What is that??? Do I really want to put that on my head? Also, never got any bar of soap. Was washing my hands with their cheap bottle of "Snappy Body Wash".

Again... It looks like they are trying but unfortunately falling WAY short of the mark. If you are looking for a simple place to lay your head for the night, that you can be reasonably sure you won't have cockroaches crawling into your suitcase during the night, stay here. If you are looking to enjoy your stay in Savannah and have a room to remember fondly, stay someplace else.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
thunderbird611, manager at The Thunderbird Inn, responded to this review, May 21, 2009
Dear dissatisfied guest,
Let me begin by apologizing for your disappointing stay with us. I’m sorry we missed the mark. I would like to address your comments on a one by one basis.

Guest: Location directly across from the Bus Station!
T-bird:This is true. We are also directly next to the SCAD dorms. The problems are few and far between.

Guest: Window A/C unit drained/leaked directly onto the floor IN the room, saturating the carpet about 2-3 feet into the room. Then the maid left my bag on the floor… and all my things got wet.
T-bird: We do not have window A/C units. We have the same individual units that you find in the majority of hotels/motels that are mounted near the floor. As far as your luggage, I would gladly have had your items dry cleaned if I would have been made aware of the situation. I think that was poor judgment of my housekeeper and I would have made that right!

Guest: "Comp. Breakfast" consisted of plain Krispy Kremes only! Even the welcome letter in the room mentioned cereal and bagels but nope. Nothing healthy. Nothing that took any thought or effort what so ever. Very disappointing.
T-bird: We recently made the switch to fresh assorted Krispy Kremes. I’m sorry your welcome letter stated more than we offer. It is not an issue of lack of thought or effort. I agree, we do need a healthy alternative.

Guest: Overall very dated. Advertised as a quaint, retro, hip little place but it was barely tolerable.
T-bird: The hotel is “dated” in the respect that it is original. We won a preservation award from the City of Savannah for the restoration. The rooms, however, are not dated. We feature custom headboards, dark modern furniture, and pillow-top mattresses.

Guest: No wireless if you are further than 5 rooms away from the office.
T-bird: We offer wireless in the lobby and high-speed access in the rooms.

Here is the good list:
Guest: They did have nice bedding (even if the maid doesn't know that the opening to a duvet goes at the BOTTOM of the bed, not the top!)
T-bird: oops!

Guest: Nice towels. Would have been better had the bathroom floor tile been cleaned with some bleach in the last couple of years.
T-bird: We pride ourselves on having nice bedding and towels. Thank you for noticing! We scrub the bathroom with an antibacterial cleaner and scrub brush every day. The floors are off white.

Guest: A nice upgrade to have the curved shower curtain rod so there is more room in the shower but again, Mgmt seemed to have stopped a bit short. It would have been nice had the shower head been replaced also with something nice. I'm not a fan of being blasted with water.
T-bird: We went through a lot of showerheads to find the adjustable massaging type we have now. So many places have no water pressure we wanted to make sure we had good pressure while still conserving water.

Guest: Shampoo and Conditioner provided but it was some really childish, no-brand, stuff with ridiculous names like "Snazzy Shampoo." What is that??? Do I really want to put that on my head? Also, never got any bar of soap. Was washing my hands with their cheap bottle of "Snappy Body Wash".
T-bird: You really missed what we did with the personal care products. They are anything but cheap. Yes, they are named custom designed labels with funky names like “that’s SOME lotion”,” Snazzy Conditioner”,” In your FACE WASH”, etc, and are top quality spa products normally only found in select resorts and spas.

I am sorry you had a disappointing stay with us. I would have loved the opportunity to have spoken to you durring your stay. Please feel free to call if you would like to talk further.
Spokane, Washington
Reviewed May 13, 2009

I am really into the retro design movement and The Thunderbird was definitely one of those places I want to love and experience time after time, but after staying there twice, I have to advise that folks pass on this one.

My daughter is a student at SCAD and we made reservations 6 months ago for Parents Weekend for a King Studio room. We got there and they had overbooked and had no more King Studio rooms available and had to go with a standard 2 bed room (and of course they still charged us for the other King Studio rate. The guy at the desk told us he couldn't change the rate).

Of course, we got a room next to some folks there for a party weekend and although we called the front desk to complain, they never did anything to get them to quiet down. I would advise SCAD parents that although this place is very close to the dorms, your better off going elsewhere for the money, as that is what we will be doing from now on.

I was really disappointed and after reading some of the management responses on Trip Advisor, I don't think the staff is getting the message. They need to honor their reservations and update their reservation system. No internet access either despite what the brochure says. This hotel looks a lot better from the road than it does up close. Be sure you watch where you walk as someone got mugged at the bus station right across the street during broad daylight.

With so many other lodging options in Savannah, I suggest you look elsewhere.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kegger55
thunderbird611, Manager at The Thunderbird Inn, responded to this review, May 20, 2009
Sir,

I apologize for your disappointing stay at the Thunderbird Inn. I want you to know that we strive to honor every reservation that comes in. There are occasions that a guest stays longer than anticipated or a room goes down for servicing that would cause an overbooking situation. I’m disappointed that the employee who checked you in didn’t make an effort to accommodate you or inform me of the situation. This is a good training opportunity for us!

To address being across from the bus station and a gentleman getting mugged… As with any city, crime is an unfortunate part of the fabric regardless where you are. We are also located right next door to SCAD dorms. Students, visitors, as well as locals walk these streets everyday. The occasional crime is unfortunate, but is NOT the norm. My wife and kids often walk from the Thunderbird Inn into the historic district, so I consider it safe.

As far as the staff not getting the message, we use every Trip Advisor rating (positive & negative) as a training opportunity.

If you would contact me directly, I would love to discuss this further with you.

Regards,