“Retro and so funky”

The Thunderbird Inn
Ranked #34 of 116 Hotels in Savannah
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 8, 2014 via mobile

We had a quick 2 nites in savannah and we're so pleased we picked the thunderbird inn. It's extremely central to the historic district and we were able to walk everywhere. The staff were all lovely and able to point us in the right direction for food, drinks and fun. And above all, we loved that it was retro! It's well maintained with new beds but had all the retro decor touches. Donuts and coffee for breakfast were an excellent touch too. Perfect!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
tbirdmanager, General Manager at The Thunderbird Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2014

Thank you so much for your kind words. I'm glad you loved your stay with us!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,735)

Reviewed August 2, 2014

We stayed 2 nights in late July -- the room was clean and comfortable, the lobby and staff were very welcoming. Nice tunes on speakers in the parking lot. Welcome lemonaid a nice touch. Super location! Kind of on the edge of the downtown area, but very walkable and nice to leave the hubub behind at the end of the night and return someplace a little quieter. The only downside is the WiFi is awful, but it usually is in hotels, I find. We were on the 2nd floor, and I'd request that on a future stay -- just to get away from the parking lot. We'd definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: If you don't mind stairs, select a 2nd floor room to get away from the noise/smells of parking l...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Heather F
tbirdmanager, General Manager at The Thunderbird Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2014

Thank you for your review! I'm so happy you noticed our efforts to preserve our environment. I look forward to having you back!

Mark

Reviewed August 1, 2014

I visited Savannah on a mother/daughter trip and was looking forward to the Thunderbird based on the reviews and their website. Unfortunately, my enthusiasm was short-lived. This was a glamorized motel without the glam. The room was on the ground floor and undesirable characters were lurking about. We didn't feel safe. Additionally, the room was dingy and dirty. The white bedspreads have gone gray and there was hair (plural) n the bathroom floor. We checked out 5 min. after checking in and I was still charged $150.

• Stayed: July 2014

I have left you a message on your phone. There are some discrepancies I want to work out with you.

Reviewed July 29, 2014 via mobile

Great find with great location. Independently owned with all of the small touches that you'd never find in a chain. Krispy Kreme breakfast! Great, helpful desk service. Genuine retro aesthetic, not faux retro chic. Real deal. Great for the young traveller or a family.

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank LonelyTravelDk

Thank you for loving our authentic retro! I hope you come back and see us again. If you love retro, check out TravelRetro. They have a great collection of inns like ours.

Reviewed July 28, 2014

Hoping for funky-cool experience as advertised ... just got funk. Might be a cute idea and very sweet people, but cant recommend staying here. What's part of 'renovated' leaves filthy carpets in place, bed pretty worn out and stained linens? Wi-fi too weak and slow to matter.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank AC W
tbirdmanager, General Manager at The Thunderbird Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2014

Dear A,
Thank you so much for your time on the phone today. I am pleased that the silver lining to your bad experience was our outstanding staff. I was sure to pass on your compliments to each of them.
I also wanted to reiterate that I really appreciate your feedback. I take it seriously. All of your critiques are in the process of being resolved and in most rooms are a non issue. It seems that you're room was the perfect storm of mistakes. I wish you would have given our staff the opportunity to move you so you could see that it was a fluke.
I hope in the future you will give us another opportunity.

Reviewed July 27, 2014

Loved the RETRO look of hotel. Bed was very comfortable. Hotel close to all major attraction. Great price compared to other hotels in area. loved delicious krispy kreme doughnuts. Loved the toiletries attached to the wall unfortunately they were not for sale. Music playing in parking lot was a treat.

Room Tip: Keep in mind this is not the Marriott. But a pleasant unique experience.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank czb00
tbirdmanager, General Manager at The Thunderbird Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2014

Thank you for the review! I'm glad you love the toiletries. They are for sale , we are just out currently. They are ordered! they can be purchased on our website. If you love retro, check out TravelRetro.

Thank you again!

Reviewed July 24, 2014

Spent a night here and found the room to be clean and comfortable. Staff was friendly and helpful. Not too far from the riverfront and an easy walk to restaurants and bars. Enjoyed the moon pies and rc colas and the classic funky tunes playing outside. Would stay here again.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Greg R

Thank you for the review! I'm glad you spent a night with us and had the opportunity to experience the retro touches! I hope your travels will bring you here again! If you love retro, you should look up TravelRetro!