“Good locations, affordable prices”

The Thunderbird Inn
Ranked #33 of 114 Hotels in Savannah
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed May 24, 2014

You can't beat the location of The Thunderbird Inn. It is within walking distance to all the major sights to see in Savannah. The place is a bit dated and the bathrooms are pretty tiny, but for the price it is still good. I enjoyed getting the RC cola and Moonpies when we checked it, and enjoyed the Krispy Kreme donuts in the morning. (The Coffee/Donuts Area was a bit of a mess each morning though) I would definitely recommend this place for people who are conscious of their budget.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Thunderbird Inn

Reviewed May 19, 2014

If you don't mind no frills and want a comfortable and clean space to relax after enjoying downtown Savannah, the Thunderbird Inn is for you. It is a motel and not a 4 star resort so keep that in mind depending on where you like to stay. We loved the retro feel and the ease of parking the car and walking everywhere we wanted to go downtown.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank staceyltripp
Reviewed May 15, 2014 via mobile

We stated there 2 nights with our yorkies while in Savannah. The rooms were clean and no pet odor at all but don't expect all the amenities advertised. No pet supplies as advertised. I asked for pet bowls and was told , very nicely, that she would have to try to find some which she never did. The TV kept turning off and I went to let them know and she apologized again very nicely but said I was the 4 th person to say that and she had no idea what the problem was. Could not get wi-fi in my room and again very nicely was told that my room was probably too far away. I was in the middle of the building. All that being said, I would stay there again. Very close to everything and the bed was comfy and they are pet friendly.

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed May 7, 2014

My wife and I have been visiting Savannah over New Year's Eve for several years. We started started staying at the Thunderbird for the convenience of being within walking distance of the City Market and the Riverwalk. The priceis very reasonable for the area. The rooms are clean and comfortable and the beds felt good!
Since we spend most of out time enjoying the sights and sounds of the city we are not looking for a suite or room service but a comfortable and safe place to spend the night. Nevr had our car damaged in any way.

Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank Wayne D
tbirdmanager, General Manager at The Thunderbird Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2014

Thank you so much for your review! I am glad you had a great time in Savannah and enjoyed your stay with us! I hope you come back again!
Mark

Reviewed April 29, 2014

Misleading online reservation systems, which promises a refund for stays cancelled prior to two days, but then refuses to do so when a cancellation is actually requested. Unhelpful management, unwilling to acknowledge issue and fix them. We stayed in room 214 which had broken door on TV cabinet, barely functioning shower knob and the sheet were so threadbare they had holes.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank lilianeblom

I am embarrassed about the sheets and room issues. That isn't the product we are know for putting out. Our shower knob is confusing to some because it has to be pulled, but it looks like a twist-type. I know that can be annoying too!
As far as our cancellation policy, it is very clear. We offer a rate that the rate-code states non refundable in bold letters. That rate was non refundable because it was such a deep discount. All of our other rates are subject to a 3 day cancellation policy. It is also stated on our website and the confirmation letter.
I am sorry for being firm about this, but we are not doing anything shady.

Reviewed April 28, 2014 via mobile

I was very happy to find a hotel at the last minute so close to my SCAD students dorm. Should have known something was up. Made the reservation thru their website, paid with an American Express, got the confirmation and thought ok we are good. NOT! We get to the hotel very late... Which I told them we would. Was told that we could pay for the rooms in cash when we got there.... Nope they had already booked them on my card. Then we were told there is a $5 per night parking fee. Plus they don't except American Express at the hotel only when booking online thru expedia. I was put out but eventually just paid it. Got our room... The door wouldn't shut or lock, room was dirty and beds were sunken in. Instead of offering to give us another room, they called maintenance and house keeping. After 40 minutes of waiting...at midnight... I finally threw a fit and demanded another room. The new room was cleaner but it was just as worn and ratty. Doors don't shut good so everyone must slam them. Carpets are filthy. No remote controls for the tv, very noisy, mold in the bathroom, night time staff could care less. Then they can't give you a receipt that they didn't charge your card for anything while you are there. Best thing I can say is that's it's close to downtown and the water is hot! Wouldn't recommend!!

Stayed: April 2014
3  Thank Lisap1691

Please reach out to me. mark@thethunderbirdinn.com

We have recently installed a custom solution gasket set to all of the doors. With the change in temp and moisture, we are having to have them adjusted until we achieve the proper amount of seal and quiet while still closing properly. I am very sorry this put you out; it would me too! As far as the other issues, we have recently (this week) found a new housekeeping manager who comes with a lot of experience. With the proper support she will be stellar and will bring our rooms back up to standard very quickly!

Mark

Reviewed April 27, 2014

I so much wanted to love this place! Who doesn’t love kitsch and cool? But please, please believe me that is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. I question the validity of 4 and 5 star reviews on this site, for this place is an absolute dump.

There are stains throughout the carpet, mold throughout the shower, stains in the toilet (I get that there might be mineral deposits that can’t be scrubbed, but how about cleaning the human remains, up under the edge?), stains on the walls, hairs on the bathroom floor, caked-on dust in various places, yellowing pillows with stained pillow cases, a door you have to hurl yourself against in order to lock, music blaring from speakers in the parking lot (yes, the hotel itself is determined to keep you “happy!” all day, so good luck if you need to relax or sleep before 8pm), and I don’t know where to begin to describe the stains on the ironing board. Claims on their website regarding "Big fluffy towels", "Crisp linens", and "Comfortable pillows" are absolute rubbish. Breakfast consists of stale donuts and lukewarm coffee - so what if they are Krispy Kreme? Stale is stale.

Please note that if they give you rooms 105 or 205, it probably means they hate you. I can’t imagine spending a night in those noisy alcoves of misery. And speaking of noisy, the place is right on a busy road that never, ever quiets down – you will have cars and trucks and emergency vehicles buzzing by ALL NIGHT.

It feels weird to write a negative review like this - I've never had to before - but honestly this place would need a complete overhaul just to come up to par with a Motel 6.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Charlie500

Charlie, Thank you for taking the time to write your opinion. While harsh, I appreciate the time you took to write it. We have worked years to achieve the 4 and 5 star reviews. I am sorry we are not living up to our positive reputation. I assure you what you experienced isn't who we are. Please reach out to me mark@thethunderbirdinn.com