“Every issue but ghosts!”

The Thunderbird Inn
Ranked #35 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
GreenLeadersGold level
Covington, Georgia
“Every issue but ghosts!”
Reviewed April 28, 2014 via mobile

I was very happy to find a hotel at the last minute so close to my SCAD students dorm. Should have known something was up. Made the reservation thru their website, paid with an American Express, got the confirmation and thought ok we are good. NOT! We get to the hotel very late... Which I told them we would. Was told that we could pay for the rooms in cash when we got there.... Nope they had already booked them on my card. Then we were told there is a $5 per night parking fee. Plus they don't except American Express at the hotel only when booking online thru expedia. I was put out but eventually just paid it. Got our room... The door wouldn't shut or lock, room was dirty and beds were sunken in. Instead of offering to give us another room, they called maintenance and house keeping. After 40 minutes of waiting...at midnight... I finally threw a fit and demanded another room. The new room was cleaner but it was just as worn and ratty. Doors don't shut good so everyone must slam them. Carpets are filthy. No remote controls for the tv, very noisy, mold in the bathroom, night time staff could care less. Then they can't give you a receipt that they didn't charge your card for anything while you are there. Best thing I can say is that's it's close to downtown and the water is hot! Wouldn't recommend!!

Stayed April 2014
3 Thank Lisap1691
tbirdmanager, General Manager at The Thunderbird Inn, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Please reach out to me. mark@thethunderbirdinn.com

We have recently installed a custom solution gasket set to all of the doors. With the change in temp and moisture, we are having to have them adjusted until we achieve the proper amount of seal and quiet while still closing properly. I am very sorry this put you out; it would me too! As far as the other issues, we have recently (this week) found a new housekeeping manager who comes with a lot of experience. With the proper support she will be stellar and will bring our rooms back up to standard very quickly!

Mark

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
Decatur, GA
Reviewed April 27, 2014

I so much wanted to love this place! Who doesn’t love kitsch and cool? But please, please believe me that is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. I question the validity of 4 and 5 star reviews on this site, for this place is an absolute dump.

There are stains throughout the carpet, mold throughout the shower, stains in the toilet (I get that there might be mineral deposits that can’t be scrubbed, but how about cleaning the human remains, up under the edge?), stains on the walls, hairs on the bathroom floor, caked-on dust in various places, yellowing pillows with stained pillow cases, a door you have to hurl yourself against in order to lock, music blaring from speakers in the parking lot (yes, the hotel itself is determined to keep you “happy!” all day, so good luck if you need to relax or sleep before 8pm), and I don’t know where to begin to describe the stains on the ironing board. Claims on their website regarding "Big fluffy towels", "Crisp linens", and "Comfortable pillows" are absolute rubbish. Breakfast consists of stale donuts and lukewarm coffee - so what if they are Krispy Kreme? Stale is stale.

Please note that if they give you rooms 105 or 205, it probably means they hate you. I can’t imagine spending a night in those noisy alcoves of misery. And speaking of noisy, the place is right on a busy road that never, ever quiets down – you will have cars and trucks and emergency vehicles buzzing by ALL NIGHT.

It feels weird to write a negative review like this - I've never had to before - but honestly this place would need a complete overhaul just to come up to par with a Motel 6.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Charlie500
Charlie, Thank you for taking the time to write your opinion. While harsh, I appreciate the time you took to write it. We have worked years to achieve the 4 and 5 star reviews. I am sorry we are not living up to our positive reputation. I assure you what you experienced isn't who we are. Please reach out to me mark@thethunderbirdinn.com
Leesburg, Florida
Reviewed April 20, 2014

I made a reservation about 2 weeks ago , NOT THRU A SECOND PARTY SITE LIKE EXPEDIA or anything , I made it direct !!!! I called about a week later spoke to the front desk and cancelled was given a confirmation number and told my money would be refunded in 3-5 days . I was ok with that well its well over 5 days and no money has been returned to me , so I called and called finally got someone that said they don't refund the money , WHAT? I asked to speak to a manager for two days ,got no phone call back , I then called again and they gave me an email of some Tracy person which I can post the email if you need if , says they wont be in the office all week !!! I plan on filing fraud charges on this place , as I was looking forward to going . The MOST horrible customer service I have ever dealt with in my entire life !! DO NOT STAY HERE !!! I will facebook and tell as many people as I can about this situation . They need to fix this issue and refund my 200!!

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank RHYLAND2014
Sir,

It was a simple human error that your money wasn't refunded when you were first told. I am sorry that you had this issue.

Mark
Reviewed April 7, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the thunderbird in March and had read the reviews so took a chance.we stayed for two days. We found the staff to be very accommodating. The rooms are worn and old but hey it's a motel that is smack in the historic district and way reasonable.we loved that the dot is right across the street so you can hop on every 20 minutes. The last night we took the haunted tour and it ended on the river about 10 pm.we were told it was safe to walk back to motel so we did and it was so easy! We only slept in the room so if you Are looking for a cheap way to check out savannah and spend money on great places to eat instead...this is the place.try the pink house down in the wine cellar for amazing food and great candlelit dinner. Love savannah! We did get moon pies and popcorn. Fun!

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Canatol
Thank you for your review. I am glad you enjoyed the value we provided. I hope you come back and see us. Glad you loved the moonpies!
Toronto
Reviewed April 7, 2014

Similar to other reviews I have read the Thunderbird is a conveniently located budget friendly hotel. The staff is amazing - we had a small hiccup with our room when we were checking in and the manager more than went out of his way to make sure that we were taken care of and satisfied. The beds are good - the rooms are dated - but who cares as long as they are clean which it was. We stayed here because it was very budget friendly and less than a 10 minute walk to the historic district so it really met our needs perfectly. The only complaint we had was that the parking spaces are very narrow so if you are driving a huge SUV it will be difficult getting in or out of your car. Also the shower heads could stand to be replaced but they worked, just not a lot of pressure. Also the WIFI is a bit spotty but once again - not a big deal. Overall for someone on a budget this is a great little place.

Room Tip: A lot of traffic so if you are a light sleeper make sure that you get a room farther away from the r...