“WORST hotel staff I have ever experienced.”

The Thunderbird Inn
Ranked #33 of 114 Hotels in Savannah
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 2, 2014

I just got back to NC after traveling to Savannah for my 9 year olds gymnastics meet and had a very unfortunate experience at the Thunderbird Hotel. I traveled 6 hours, had 15 minutes to check in and walk to the meet and was greeted by "we overbooked and you don't have a room." I was also told I did not have a reservation, which I had the email confirmation WITH me. I was told I didn't put down a deposit yet they had my credit card number. I was told they tried to call me all day to let me know, well, I was TRAVELING all day, hence the hotel reservation. The girl at the desk was VERY disrespectful, was not apologetic or sympathetic and even had the nerve to call me irate and threaten to ask me to leave when I was only upset and needing a quick fix to the problem, which they SHOULD have figured out already. There was NO manager on duty and the rude "financial manager" I talked on the phone just kept reiterating "mam, I tried to call you the last 5 hours." I WAS DRIVING THE LAST 6 HOURS! Ugh! Anyway, it wasn't the double booking, mistakes happen. It was the sheer rudeness and lack of accepting responsibility for their huge mistake. Don't claim I didn't put down a deposit or have a reservation when I have a confirmation email and you have ALL my information. Worst experience ever and I am so glad my husband wasn't there because that awful girl behind the counter would have had a much worse day. I will be looking into contacting a higher management.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Naomi P
There are newer reviews for The Thunderbird Inn

Reviewed March 1, 2014

Stayed by chance at The Thunderbird after booking on Hotwire.com. Staff and service were great! Room had very nice amenities (toiletries, coffee maker, fridge, wi-fi...) and very clean. I stayed 4 nights and every evening upon returning to my room I found my bed made, towels refreshed, and trash emptied, and all of my belongings were exactly were I had left them. The Thunderbird is 2 short blocks from the official "Historic District" grid, and right across the street from the free DOT shuttle stop which runs all over downtown. Groovy, man.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the center of the hotel as the housekeeping staff has facilities on the ends an...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Aaron G
Reviewed February 27, 2014

Adorable little retro hotel for a very reasonable rate in a very expensive area. It was fun. We just wanted a fun place in downtown Savannah and we thought it was very romantic and cute for the price we paid.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 25, 2014 via mobile

For the price, this motel is in a great location. It's just blocks from the Riverwalk and the historical section of Savannah. It's also pet friendly. I was only in town for one night but I will definitely come back. It was so easy to just walk from the hotel with my dog to all of the outdoor eating establishments that were so close by. It's no frills but it's clean and that's all I really care about. I kind of liked how quirky the place was too.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Kimberly F
Reviewed February 22, 2014

This is a fun motel not a 5 star resort. Great price, yummy Krispy Kreme doughnuts. If something is not right the staff will kill themselves to make it right. So inexpensive and so close to downtown awesome deal. Really fun, funky decor. Thank you especially to Tracy Clark you actually were the reason we ended up spending an extra day on our way back to Florida! Way to go Thunderbird!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed February 18, 2014

My girlfriend and I ended up booking this hotel due to our puppies. Was the best decision we made. The staff was great, the rooms were clean and very retro cool. We loved Savannah and will go back often to visit and the Thunderbird Inn is where we will stay.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Renegade_atl
Reviewed February 14, 2014

We stayed for 5 nights.
GOOD STUFF: The desk staff, especially Tracy, was phenomenal. The theme is so cute and retro. The beds were comfortable. The heating/AC unit was new and worked great once you learned how to use the remote to control it. There were many issues, but Tracy was deeply apologetic and made it right in the end. He is truly the reason this review is not "Terrible".
BAD STUFF: TV is outdated, doors are very drafty, pillows are too small, carpet and chairs showed signs of pet scratches and stains. The maids weren't good at cleaning and they are VERY loud in the morning (I mean like yelling and laughing - not cleaning sounds). Dirty, wet, disgusting bathroom cleaning rags were left by the maids on the bed in the morning, and we were out all day and didn't see them until the evening - so the middle of the bed was damp all night! I mentioned it to the front desk and brought the rags with me... they offered me a blanket and said they would tell management, but they never did. There was never fresh popcorn (as advertised). No gluten-free breakfast options. On the weekend, the parking lot got very tight and full (which is REALLY annoying because you pay $5 per day to park there on top of your room cost!). There was always a layer of very noticeable gray caked-on dust at the top of the red fabric headboard, even after I asked them to clean it - is it that hard to get a lint roller? There aren't any instructions about how to properly use the heater/AC unit, so we had to look up the model online and teach ourselves. Evening front desk staff does NOT communicate evening issues with daytime staff, so my issues were all unheard of on the morning that I checked out, and I had to repeat every single complaint all over again, delaying my trip back home.

Room Tip: You do not want rooms 105-107! They are right next to the maid closet and the ice machine, and the d...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple