“Great deal for the price”

The Thunderbird Inn
Ranked #34 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
GreenLeadersGold level
Charleston, South Carolina
“Great deal for the price”
Reviewed February 10, 2014

We didn't pay much for the room because we got a great Groupon deal. Even though we didn't spend much money the hotel was great. The hotel was just right for one night in Savannah. We had a great time walking from the hotel to the sites, restaurants, and bars. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Hotel was pretty quite at night, especially for a Saturday night.

Green Features: We are very environmentally conscious and try to recycle as much as possible. I really like that the Thunderbird had a recycling bin in the room. You don't see that very often.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
Crumpler, North Carolina
Reviewed February 6, 2014 via mobile

Great stay in funky 50's style motel one block from Old Town Trolly tours main station. Clean rooms that smell fresh. Beds are comfortable. Little sparse on sink soap. Frig-yes. No microwave or coffee maker in room. Friendly, cheerful & helpful staff. It's a pet friendly place if you're traveling with your "best friend". Smoke free rooms. Main office offers Crispy Creme donuts, apple & orange juice, coffee, tea, hot water for breakfast. Plenty of good breakfast eateries within 10-15 min walk to harbor area. Same for good dinner dining and seafood. An overnight stay affords you free parking the following day. Very safe area to walk day or night - well lite & patrolled. Very close to SCAD college campus.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Cape Canaveral, Florida
Reviewed February 4, 2014

This hotel wasn't to fancy but did the job!
The staff was very friendly and my boyfriend and I loved how they left moon pies on the pillows!
Definitly cheaper than other hotels in the area and was in a perfect location for walking everywhere we wanted To go!!! We didn't use our car once!!

The only thing is, if your a light sleeper the cars on the nearby road may keep you up at night, but it didnt bother us to much!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sami6032
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed January 30, 2014

We payed almost triple the going rate for the weekend we were in town, not realizing that the hotel is normally so cheap. We assumed the hotel quality would match the price. However the value for that price we paid was horrendous. Our particular room was very dirty and smelled pretty gross.

I could forgive much this at the far cheaper price that I'm seeing quoted here occasionally, so just a word of warning - don't spend too much!! Don't make our mistake, make sure you are paying a price that would match an old motel.

The staff was great though, and I love the idea of the old school motel feel.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sarah K
tbirdmanager, General Manager at The Thunderbird Inn, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us via TripAdvisor. I understand that you weren't happy with the price you paid, but to my knowledge there was never an issue with the quality of the room.

The weekends are higher than the weekdays in Savannah as a whole because that is when the demand is the greatest. That is particularly noticeable in the off season when we all lower rates during the week to pull travelers into the city who might be looking for less expensive options along the interstate. It is an attempt by all of us to drive a great value when we can, not to set us up for a "price gouging" situation.

Just to set the record straight... We are always the best valued option in the historic district, period.

I am truly sorry you felt ripped off. That isn't what I or any of my staff want you to walk away feeling.

regards,

Mark Thomas
Venice, Italy
Reviewed January 13, 2014

This place has character. You will love it too if you like fancy old-style places.
The bed was great, so comfortable. Room was clean and had everything. Staff was super friendly. Definitely worth a stay!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank seremariposa
tbirdmanager, General Manager at The Thunderbird Inn, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
I am so pleased you had a great time with us! I hope you will swing by again!
Reviewed January 13, 2014 via mobile

I have stayed at this hotel several times over the past few years when visiting Savannah, GA for the obvious reasons of a great price and good location. However, I was never completely satisfied with the level of customer service offered, and after my visit a little under a year ago, the service was so unprofessional, I vowed to never come back, until now. We booked on hotwire, and didn't see the name of the hotel we had reserved until complete, and I was initially very disappointed. But thanks to Spencer at the front desk, my opinion of this hotel has completely changed to the point I am now recommending it as a preferred place to stay when visiting Savannah. He was beyond attentive, professional, and extremely kind. They were fully booked when I stayed, and he handled himself and the flow of traffic extremely well. I am very thankful for Spencer, as he is the main reason why I will be staying here again very soon!!

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Alyssa B
I hate that you have had less than fantastic experiences here in the past. I very much push customer service with all of my staff. I am thrilled Spencer took great care of you. He is a fantastic person. I look forward to seeing you on your next visit.
Grabs, Switzerland
Reviewed January 12, 2014

Found this quirky looking place on T.A and decided to include it on a motorcycle tour.
I like places that are different and especial old style motels where I can pull my bike up outside my room.
The Good - Not too far from the sea front where we wanted to be. Rooms comfortable but not more.
The Bad - Was disappointed to learn that they have a 'Flexible' price system where even a hint of anything going on downtown and they jack them up. Breakfast was a mean and measly affair I had even better at Super 8's
Overall - I felt a little ripped off. I do not reccommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Buellrider
I hate that you felt ripped off. That is never our goal. Even when our rate increases we are always the best price in the historic district. I also hate that you didn't enjoy the Krispy Kreme doughnuts.