“Good value in pricey Savannah”

The Thunderbird Inn
Ranked #34 of 115 Hotels in Savannah
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed December 11, 2013

This motel represents good value in the very pricey Savannah. It is located just a short walk from the historical centre, and is directly across from the bus station, which was perfect for me, both arriving and departing on greyhound. It is getting a bit of age on it, and the bed linens and towels are looking a bit worn. However, I feel that this is fairly represented in the price of the rooms. The wi fi didn't work at all for the two nights I was there, so if you need wi fi, I would suggest enquiring before you book to make sure it is working. The receptionist made it sound as though it had been out for awhile. I did get moon pies both nights though. Score!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,736)

Reviewed December 8, 2013

This is a budget hotel. If you stay here, don't expect anything more.
The service is polite, but the marketing & advertizements are completely false.
Don't expect the extras like Moon Pies or RC Colas. We even asked about receiving a cola and were told that they were only given out on two particular days of the week (neither of which were of the two nights we spent).
Also, their WiFi is basically unusable. We were in the middle of the motel, and could rarely connect to it at all, and when we did, were immediately bounced off. Their website states that the King Room has a "spacious bathroom": ours was one of the smallest bathrooms I've ever experienced in a motel. Also, no soap at the sink. Shame on them for false advertizing.
This is otherwise a standard budget motel, fair value for the money, but the marketing promised so much more than the lip service we received.

Room Tip: If you want WiFi, be as close to the office as possible; but good luck. Second (top) floor is sligh...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
tbirdmanager, General Manager at The Thunderbird Inn, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our services. I am very sorry you had a poor experience with us. I hate that the extras like wifi wasn't working and you were refused a moonpie. That is very upsetting to me. If you come to town again, please reach out to me directly. I will be more than happy to make this up to you! mark@thethunderbirdinn.com

Reviewed December 2, 2013

The room and experience was just okay. We chose to stay here because we got a good rate and they allow pets. I would not go back and pay full price (even thought their normal rates are low) for a room. They make all of these claims about how they are incredibly pet friendly. I would say that they are more pet tolerant than pet friendly. On their website it states that visiting dogs will receive gourmet dog treats, a supply of bags, a bed and food/water bowls to use, a bottle of water, a pet friendly map of Savannah. NONE of these things were offered to us to use and we let them know we were traveling with our dog, paid the pet fee, etc. I was most disappointed that they didn't have the pet friendly places map as we were looking to enjoy some outdoor meals with our pup. The check in girl had no idea what I was talking about when I asked for this map.

Additionally, they state that they always have popcorn in the lobby and moon pies and RC colas in each room. There was no popcorn in the lobby or moon pies and cola in our room. I don't care that those things weren't available for me. I just feel like they made a lot of "fun" claims to get people to book rooms and then didn't deliver on these promises.

The room was as expected: decent size, older amenities, moldy spots, the tv remote was missing buttons. There was very little lighting in the room. There was a vanity area right outside of the bathroom and had a magnified mirror but no lights in the vanity area at all. I had to go put my makeup on in the car. All in all the room was pretty clean and worth the price that we paid, I was just not pleased with the way they presented the pet "amenities".

I will definitely stay elsewhere next time. This place was average at best.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
tbirdmanager, General Manager at The Thunderbird Inn, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2013

I understand your frustration. I would be angry and disappointed myself. We have a few new staff members, so a lot of this is training and not explaining the importance of the details. Your review expresses how important the small touches are to providing a wonderful, unique experience and a disappointing one. Please, please reach out to me directly. mark@thethunderbirdinn.com.
I am embarrassed and sorry the this was your experience at my inn.

Reviewed December 2, 2013

I did a lot of research on the Thunderbird Inn before booking there. I saw a groupon and I had never been to Savannah and my sweetie and I were looking for a place to spend Thanksgiving weekend near the ocean.
First of all, I will say reading the reviews here and on YELP! was very helpful, I knew what to expect and could plan for anything that might pose a problem. Truthfully the only thing was that the rooms face a bust street and it is loud. I knew this and forgot to bring my earplugs so the first morning I was up a little earlier than I would like because of the traffic. I went to CVS and got earplugs that day and it was fine the next night/morning.
When we checked in Mike was very nice and joked with me which was nice after a long road trip, he also have me a map and showed me which way to go to get something to eat, etc). I had booked a King room through Groupon but what they had told the TBird was a double. I let him know and he fixed it right there . But that was not their issues it was groupon that booked the wrong room with them, and it was fixed so no problem.
The rooms was small and very cute with its retro decor, and very clean. My sweetie who is a germaphob agreed it was cleaner than most rooms at nicer/newer establishments.
I was a little sad that there was not the RC Cola and Moon Pie I had heard so much about when I read reviews, but we got it (only one of each though) the next day with turn down. It was a nice touch. The housekeeping supervisor knocked on our door and asked if everything was OK, which was also very nice.
Each morning there was hot coffee (it was in room too) and Krispy Kremes.
The motel is very close to the Historical District. We just walked down the road and there we were. If you accidentally go the opposite direction it would be a little sketchy, but thanks to my research I already knew that.
When I checked out I stopped at the front desk to get some souvenirs and I chatted a little with Leslie. When I left I accidentally forgot my top bag. I didn't realize this until I was home 5 hours later! I called to ask about it and found out that as soon as she saw that I had left it Leslie had tried to reach me but since I had booked with groupon and not directly with the motel they did not have a phone number on file for me. So she looked me up on Facebook and because of a conversation we had she was able to find me and send me a message telling me I had left my bag. Unfortunately, because we are not FB friends it went to a spam file and I didn't see it until she told me on the phone. Very sweet and very professional! She arranged for my bag to be mailed to me and they charged my credit card.
if you are using a Groupon I would just recommend giving them a contact number for you , it never occurred to me to do that but now I know.
All in all we loved our stay there and we plan to come back as soon as we can!

Room Tip: All of the room face the road so there will be noise from the street. if you are a light sleeper bri...
1  Thank Rickermyer
tbirdmanager, Manager at The Thunderbird Inn, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to learn about us and using GROUPON as a great excuse to get to Savannah and the Thunderbird Inn! It is awesome to me that we delivered on our promises. I look forward to your return!

Reviewed December 1, 2013

This is a functional hotel, with basic amenities, no more, no less. Staff was pleasant. Rooms were older, so you may see some mold in the shower tiles, etc.. Yes, it is across from the bus station, but we did not experience noise or anything else out of the ordinary from that being so. VERY accessible to downtown Savannah, you can catch a DOT trolley across the street. We easily walked all over: River District, City Market, Jones Street, the Victorian Districts, Forsyth Park... you get the picture. Did not rate above average because of age of hotel, but would give location and price an excellent, and staff a very good. Would stay again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review the Tbird and our staff. I am pleased you had a nice experience and was able to take advantage of the free DOT shuttle at the restored retro transit station located across the street. It is a great way to get around the city for free!

I am sorry you couldn't rate us above average. Maybe next time we will be able to push you up one ranking! :)

Reviewed November 28, 2013 via mobile

our first time in Savannah and we would definitely come back here.they are incredibly pet friendly and offer doggie beds and treats to all free family members.the entire staff is incredibly helpful and goes out of their way to meet any request.definitely worth the price, which is more than reasonable.

• Stayed: November 2013

A great staff is such a pleasant surprise, don't you think? I know that is my greatest asset. I am glad they wowed you!

Reviewed November 23, 2013

Staff were very pleasant, the rooms were basic but have everything you need. RC Cola and Moonpies were a fun touch and the breakfast Krispy Kreme doughnuts were lovely. Great location within easy walk of the places of interest in Savannah. Price was very reasonable given its location but would have preferred that the $5 parking charge was included.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for staying with us on your visit to the States! I thrilled you loved our little piece of Americana!