“Stay Away From the Thunderbird Inn Savannah Georgia” 1 of 5 bubbles

The Thunderbird Inn
Ranked #37 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
GreenLeadersGold level
Murphy, North Carolina
“Stay Away From the Thunderbird Inn Savannah Georgia”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2008

Our son was getting married in Savannah so we booked 7 rooms for the wedding party. When I called and tried to make some changes to the reservation, a guy named Nick answered. (He had a British or Australian accent) He said that we didn't have any reservations there. I was so shocked! He wouldn't help me in any way, was extremely rude to me and then he hung up on me. We had to make a trip to Savannah to help our son get his things home for the summer since he is a student at Savannah College of Art and Design, so we decided to stop in and see if we could sort out the problem. We spoke with a different person and she said that we did in fact, have reservations. We made the necessary changes and left. Our son and his wife-to-be, changed their plans and decided not to have the wedding in Savannah after all. When I called to cancel the reservations, the same guy, Nick, answered and when I told him that I needed to cancel some reservations, he said call back in 20 minutes, and hung up on me! This was the second time this same guy had hung up on me!! I am furious with the rudeness from this guy at this hotel. I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone and would discourage anyone from going there.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
1 Thank weddingmom59
ThunderbirdGM, General Manager at The Thunderbird Inn, responded to this review, June 23, 2008
I'm sorry that you had such an unfortunate experience with Nick here at the Thunderbird Inn.

I can asure you that Nick is not a rude person - his Australian tone can be taken the wrong way to some Americans.

If you read some of the other reviews on TripAdvisor and other sites you will see that Nick has been spoken of very highly.

All front desk staff are instructed that if they receive a call while on another phone call or have a guest in front of them that they should offer to call the guest back in a specified time frame. I'm sorry if this was mis-understood.

Again, I appologize for your unfortunate experience with us.

- Mitch Frye

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
san diego, california
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2008

T-bird Inn is a reasonably priced alternative to the fancy hotels in Savannah. Its just a few blocks from the historic city center. The staff was very pleasant and helpful. The wireless internet didn't work, they were having trouble with it and could not seem to get the problem resolved. The room was clean and in good condition except for the icky carpeting; they would be wise to replace it with hard surface floor that could be cleaned properly. Otherwise a good value in Savannah.

• Liked — price and convenience
  • Disliked — non-functional internet and dirty carpet
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2008

My husband and I were a little nervous when we arrived at the motel since it is a "roadside motel" across the street from the bus station, but the staff was friendly and helpful and the room was clean. The location was convenient and was within walking distance of the river and historical areas. The people staying at this motel was very normal middle-class people. They also have a free breakfast. Overall, a good bargain for the price.

• Liked — location- within walking distance to historical district
  • Disliked — location- across the street from the bus station
Greensboro, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2008

Our stay was very enjoyable. The location is perfect for Historic Savannah. You can catch the trolley with a minute walk from hotel and never use your car. The staff was friendly and helpful.
Check in/out was smooth. The rooms very clean, maybe not quite as fancy as their pictures look but nice. We had plenty of towels, sink and tub where clean and room was made up every day we stayed. We left a coke can out over night NO ants or bugs. The continenat breakfast was good. Coffee, juice, pastery, cereal, good start for all that walking :)
There was some outside traffic noise but it didnt bother us. You never heard a door slam, bathroom noise or people talking in the room next door. The hotel was full both nights we stayed.
The bus station is across the street but I can assure you it is not a problem, you dont even know its there. The area is fine, safe to walk around. We didnt met a single person who lived in Savannah who wasnt nice and helpful. I think some of the people who write these reviews must have some issues. With hotels prices in town running up to $300 a night this place was GREAT.

• Liked — Location and price.
  • Disliked — Some traffic noise.
Saint Cloud, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2008

We stayed here just as they were finishing the renovations in 2005 (i believe). I think we were the first to stay in our room! Great bedding and an even better bed! The decor was very modern. The staff was really nice and very helpful. If we needed anything or had any questions about what to do and see....they were full of great suggestions. We are going back again in April of 2008, I am hoping for another great stay at the Thunderbird!!

• Liked — The beds and the great linens!
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2005, traveled as a couple
Fort Smith AR
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2008

We walked into the room and it looked updated. Good first impression...until we settled in. The toilet was broken. Called the front desk and they came and fixed it. We went for a bite to eat and when we returned I noticed when I pulled back the sheets that some hair was there. I figured it was the house cleaners and had fallen when she put the sheets on the bed. Upon futher notice, I realized that these were not fresh sheets. The sheets were not changed from the last guest! The maid just made the bed. My husband went to the office to get new sheets because the many calls that we made did not produce any. We just decided that it was going to be easier to make the bed ourselves. Well, I opened these sheets up and mouse poop went everywhere. We got our second set of "clean sheets" and I those turned out ok.

When we woke up the next morning our sink looked like it was moving from the many ants that covered it. We alerted the front desk and they said that when we returned later that day, the ants would be taken care of. Well, we returned and the ants were still there. Thank God we were only staying 2 nights.

The final morning when packing up, my husband noticed that the container his contacts were in was no longer by the sink. The maid had thrown his contacts away. We spent the entire day trying to get a new pair and failed.

All that said, the workers at the front desk were all so nice. My husband spoke with the manager and expained all of the problems we had during out stay. She gave us our money back and also a check for contacts along with a gift certificate to stay there one night for free on our next visit. I don't think that will be happening.

• Liked — The staff was very nice and tried to be as helpful as they could.
  • Disliked — The rat poop!
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
Boston
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2008

The pictures were rather misleading. I heard this was a clean hotel however, the headboards were dirty and the curtains had stains. While sleeping in the bed i felt things biting me. When I got home I realized the hotel had bed bugs that had gotten into my suitcase and clothes. I could not recieve the internet access the hotel promises. The bathroom and tub were dingy. I've stayed in worse places however, I expected more based on the pictures. I do not think the stay was worth the money I paid.

Stayed February 2008