“Good for the price”

GreenLeadersGold level
San Antonio, Texas
“Good for the price”
Reviewed May 23, 2008

My husband and I were a little nervous when we arrived at the motel since it is a "roadside motel" across the street from the bus station, but the staff was friendly and helpful and the room was clean. The location was convenient and was within walking distance of the river and historical areas. The people staying at this motel was very normal middle-class people. They also have a free breakfast. Overall, a good bargain for the price.

• Liked — location- within walking distance to historical district
  • Disliked — location- across the street from the bus station
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed May 6, 2008

Our stay was very enjoyable. The location is perfect for Historic Savannah. You can catch the trolley with a minute walk from hotel and never use your car. The staff was friendly and helpful.
Check in/out was smooth. The rooms very clean, maybe not quite as fancy as their pictures look but nice. We had plenty of towels, sink and tub where clean and room was made up every day we stayed. We left a coke can out over night NO ants or bugs. The continenat breakfast was good. Coffee, juice, pastery, cereal, good start for all that walking :)
There was some outside traffic noise but it didnt bother us. You never heard a door slam, bathroom noise or people talking in the room next door. The hotel was full both nights we stayed.
The bus station is across the street but I can assure you it is not a problem, you dont even know its there. The area is fine, safe to walk around. We didnt met a single person who lived in Savannah who wasnt nice and helpful. I think some of the people who write these reviews must have some issues. With hotels prices in town running up to $300 a night this place was GREAT.

• Liked — Location and price.
  • Disliked — Some traffic noise.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Saint Cloud, Florida
Reviewed March 19, 2008

We stayed here just as they were finishing the renovations in 2005 (i believe). I think we were the first to stay in our room! Great bedding and an even better bed! The decor was very modern. The staff was really nice and very helpful. If we needed anything or had any questions about what to do and see....they were full of great suggestions. We are going back again in April of 2008, I am hoping for another great stay at the Thunderbird!!

• Liked — The beds and the great linens!
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2005, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Fort Smith AR
Reviewed March 18, 2008

We walked into the room and it looked updated. Good first impression...until we settled in. The toilet was broken. Called the front desk and they came and fixed it. We went for a bite to eat and when we returned I noticed when I pulled back the sheets that some hair was there. I figured it was the house cleaners and had fallen when she put the sheets on the bed. Upon futher notice, I realized that these were not fresh sheets. The sheets were not changed from the last guest! The maid just made the bed. My husband went to the office to get new sheets because the many calls that we made did not produce any. We just decided that it was going to be easier to make the bed ourselves. Well, I opened these sheets up and mouse poop went everywhere. We got our second set of "clean sheets" and I those turned out ok.

When we woke up the next morning our sink looked like it was moving from the many ants that covered it. We alerted the front desk and they said that when we returned later that day, the ants would be taken care of. Well, we returned and the ants were still there. Thank God we were only staying 2 nights.

The final morning when packing up, my husband noticed that the container his contacts were in was no longer by the sink. The maid had thrown his contacts away. We spent the entire day trying to get a new pair and failed.

All that said, the workers at the front desk were all so nice. My husband spoke with the manager and expained all of the problems we had during out stay. She gave us our money back and also a check for contacts along with a gift certificate to stay there one night for free on our next visit. I don't think that will be happening.

• Liked — The staff was very nice and tried to be as helpful as they could.
  • Disliked — The rat poop!
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
Boston
Reviewed March 12, 2008

The pictures were rather misleading. I heard this was a clean hotel however, the headboards were dirty and the curtains had stains. While sleeping in the bed i felt things biting me. When I got home I realized the hotel had bed bugs that had gotten into my suitcase and clothes. I could not recieve the internet access the hotel promises. The bathroom and tub were dingy. I've stayed in worse places however, I expected more based on the pictures. I do not think the stay was worth the money I paid.

Stayed February 2008
1 Thank tjones31
Cincinnati
Reviewed March 2, 2008

Nice place, close to everything. Comfortable beds, clean rooms, nice staff, very modern inside. Great value. Like other reviewers have said, you can hear some traffic, but turn the fan on and it drowns it out. The bathroom was a little small, but the instant hot water and water pressure made up for that. Within walking distance to The Lady and Sons and bars and River Street. If I go back to Savannah, I would stay here again.

• Liked — comfortable beds
  • Disliked — small bathroom, but not a big deal
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed December 30, 2007

My wife and I were attending a wedding in North Carolina and decided to stop by Savannah on the way home for a quick visit. We became aware of this motel through "36 Hours in Savannnah" article from NYT a few months ago. We booked a room on the day after the wedding to break up the drive a bit.

Hotel rooms in and around the historic areas are expensive and hard to come by. This motel's furnishings were newish, better than the average "motel" .

First, the motel faces the less than glamorous Greyhound bus station and all that comes with that. We checked in around 3pm on Saturday afternoon. The first room, which was not marked with a room number so it was a game of deduction to find, was moldy and had ants crawling all over the counter tops etc.

We went back to the front desk, and the clerk assigned us the room behind the office (Room 120 on the ground floor). The room next to us (room 121) was having a party of some sort--birthday, bachelor? LOUD music and people, smoke, open door etc coming through the walls.

We dropped the bags in the room and went to eat. Came back to the room around 6pm and the party was kicking up a bit. I have nothing against parties, but if they are seeping into my room at 6pm, it could only get worse as the night went on. We just wanted to sleep so we could get out in the morning and sight see.

Spoke to the person at the front desk, who was unable to look away from the computer screen, about the noise. He asked what room number, and turned to the other desk person who was on the phone and said "room 121? those are your people". He wanted her to tell her friends/family/fiance to quiet down. I did not think that would have been the wisest course of action, but whatever. Made the decision to just leave as there were no other rooms available.

So checked in at 3pm, checked out by 6pm. It is close to the historic area, which is a plus.You definitely get what you pay for at this Inn, but I am not sure you would want it. Gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "down and out room."

• Liked — The quick exit
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple