“Great Place”

GreenLeadersGold level
Alabama
“Great Place”
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Retro but amazing. This is a trip in itself. The staff especially Peyton and Leslie could not have shown more hospitality. They were ready to help with all our questions on places to go and how to get there. The hotel was clean, the beds were really great and offered moon pies and popcorn anytime. A little bit of traffic noise at night until about 10:00pm but not enough to interfere with your sleep. Would definitely stay there again anytime.

Room Tip: This is a two story and all rooms face the same direction. We like the first floor because we could...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
tbirdmanager, General Manager at The Thunderbird Inn, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Thank you for your review! I do think you meant "Retro AND Amazing", thought! :)

I am pleased that you had great experiences with Peyton and Leslie! I hope you will return again!

Mark Thomas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed May 12, 2013

The marketing is very smart as they tell you they are the Hippest Hotel in Savannah, so you are predisposed to like them even before you arrive.

On the outside it's a standard motel, with a fun paint job and funky signs. The inside is still a motel, but with nicer furnishings and cute little vintage touches like typewriters and moonpies.

If you are feeling lonely you can request George the Monkey to keep you company. He's a bit of a star and has his own Facebook page.

Breakfast is included and it's to be had in the lobby. Krispy Kreme donuts and coffee.

It's retro, fun and in an excellent location for walking into the downtown historic district.

If you are used to staying in chain hotels, mix it up a bit with this one and have some fun in Savannah.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
tbirdmanager, General Manager at The Thunderbird Inn, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us; e really appreciate it! I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us! I hope the next time you're in Savannah you will stay with us!
Sydney Mines, Canada
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Listen this motel and staff were wonderful ...as from another country well up North and our first time in the deep south we were blessed here . Shana the front desk-person was so awesome connected us with everything we needed. Rooms comfortable cozy. I was doing ministry as a Pastor in GA and I can tell you this place and the workers there are a Blessing....I will go back when I return to Savannah. I would also recommend Ms Dot's chicken and waffles across the street just ask the front desk they will direct you.......thanks for making my stay there a Blessing Pastor Jo-Anne

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
tbirdmanager, General Manager at The Thunderbird Inn, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Thank you so much for staying with us! I am trilled that Shana took great care of you! One cool thing about my staff is they know interesting places to eat.

I hope you will return!

Woodbury, Minnesota
Reviewed May 7, 2013

The outside of the Inn is a throwback to another time. The inside of our room was spacious and classy. Got our RC Colas and Moon-pies. Very fun detail. Was awakened at 11:30 p.m. the first night by the front desk claiming they needed me to verify my credit card. They read off part of it and asked me to "fill in the blank". Say what?! I said no, I would deal with it in the morning. Didn't sleep too well wondering who had portions of my credit card number. The next morning I spoke with the front desk who confirmed that someone did call my room. I told her that really pissed me off. And it scared me too. So, although the Thunderbird was cute, and the lemonade and popcorn at 2:30 are refreshing, I won't be back because of the credit card issue. That and the constant traffic on Oglethorpe.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review my inn! I hate that we upset you with the credit card issue. I agree that 11:30 is too late to be calling a room. They should have reached out to you sooner to clear up any issue we had. I sincerely apologize!

I do hope you will come back and give us another chance to fall in love!

stay hip!

Kennesaw, Georgia
Reviewed May 7, 2013

A lot of Savannah locals cringed when I told them my groomsmen and I were staying at the Thunderbird Inn, so I doubled down and got the honeymoon suite for my wife and I to stay in the night of our wedding. The Thunderbird team had some issues taking our block reservation, but Shana came through for us in the end. From the moment we checked in it was fun fun fun. We were perfect walking distance from City Market, the rooms are clean and easy, and we while the parking lot was fairly full, we always found a spot in the main lot and never had to use the overflow lot. We are a group of guys, and some wives came, but we never felt insecure, even walking back at 4 am.

The honeymoon suite was AWESOME with 'magic fingers' vibrating bed being a hilarious final touch for coming home exhausted after a long wedding day. My only complaint about the room is the low water pressure. It must have been a second floor issue or just that room, as the guys rooms downstairs did not have this issue at all.

We were able to have a photo shoot in the parking lot with a classic car which totally fit the motif. Everyone was cool until we revv'd the engine up at 10pm and shot flames out of the tailpipes...thats when a guest came out in his underwear and shouted at us - fair enough, we will do anything to avoid seeing grown men in tidy whities and wife beaters.

In the end, I'd recommend this place to anyone and all the locals ate their words. Peace.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Love the review! Very fun. I am glad you had a great time. I hate that there was reservation issues. I hope you will come back "ease the tension" with our magic fingers!
Minnesota
Reviewed May 5, 2013

We stayed at the Thunderbird Inn four years ago while on a trip the the south east coast and liked it. We were heading back to the same general area so we stayed again. Although it is around $100 plus tax it is affordable for being right in the center of Savannah. I should say that although very central it is about two blocks to the historic center of the city. Another two or three blocks and you are at the tourist office or among the squares and old houses that you came to see. The staff can also help you with visiting questions and a map.
As many others have already stated it looks like a completely renovated motel that might go back to the 1950s and the music that pours out of the office still beats with the '50s. They do provide breakfast but it is only juice, coffee, and doughnuts. By the third morning I was longing for anything else to eat besides another donut or two.
One nice thing is the added joy of not needing a car in Savannah if you stay in the city. If you stay out of the city (at some more affordable chain motel) you then have to pay for parking. We just left our car for three days and walked and when we got tired of walking we hopped on the free trolley that makes a nice loop around the city. There should be one coming every twenty minutes.
Besides the breakfast there was a bit of noise at times. The bus station across the street was doing an addition and the first block on the way to the historic center had a building that was being built. Noisy but nothing dangerous about the neighborhood that some people commented on in TA posts.
Our room was very clean. The staff was very good.

Room Tip: There are two floors if that makes any difference.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
tbirdmanager, General Manager at The Thunderbird Inn, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Welcome back! I hope it won't be four years before your next return trip! I am pleased you enjoyed your stay again! All of the construction around us is scheduled to be complete by the end of August. It doesn't sound like it dampened your visit!

As an aside, the major noise is scheduled to be done by the end of the week!

I look forward to seeing you again!

regards,

Worthington, Ohio
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Don't miss this place. The most fun you could have. Walk to Old Town Trolley tour and a great city to see. A youthful kind of atmosphere, but it is really even better for seniors who still remember clearly the era that is celebrated here in this "motel:" the late '50s and early '60s. Hearing the Beach Boys, etc., in the office and out in the parking lot was a great treat.

Room Tip: A room near the office is great for seniors because parking is right in front of your room.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review us! I am tickled you enjoyed your stay! I hope you will come back and visit us again!

regards,