“Basic, clean and cheap”

The Thunderbird Inn
Ranked #34 of 116 Hotels in Savannah
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

Within walking distance of the historic district this is a great base. Cheap, clean and comfortable if a little dated. It's not really retro other than the outside but the moonpie was a nice treat arriving late and the Krispy Kreme breakfast was fun (the first morning!)
Also worth noting- it's directly opposite the greyhound station. There doing a lo of construction there at the moment which may account for some of the noise reported.

• Stayed: January 2013
Write a ReviewReviews (1,735)

Reviewed February 23, 2013

I reserved a room at the Thunderbird Inn through Priceline. Though I reserved and paid for a room with king-sized bed, I was told upon arrival that they had no king beds available and I was given a very small room with a double bed located directly above the office. During the night I was kept awake by occasional banging noises and the sounds of passing traffic. At 7:30 a.m. I was awakened by construction noise so loud it literally rattled the light fixtures in the room. The bath linens were dingy, the coffee maker barely worked, and the faucet (located in the bedroom) was partially blocked and only let a dribble of water out. There was no desk or table that I could use for my laptop computer, so I had to improvise a table out of my luggage.

When I checked out, the staff asked if everything was okay with my stay. When I replied that it was not and explained that I had paid for a king bed and received a much smaller room with a double bed, she smilingly said she was "so sorry", then told me to "have a great day". No offer to provide a partial refund or compensate me in any way, just a goodbye. I have reported this to Priceline, but I would advise future travelers to avoid this hotel until they decide to clean up their act. Not hip at all, just noisy and dirty with poor customer service.

Room Tip: Ongoing construction and heavy traffic in this area make this a poor choice for those who want a qui...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank 360JonA360
tbirdmanager, General Manager at The Thunderbird Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

I am so sorry we did a poor job during your visit. I understand why you're upset; I would be too. It surprises and upsets me that my staff didn't make more of an effort to make you happy. We want every guest to have a great experience.

The noise, we don't have control over, but the other aspects of your stay were a direct reflection on us. We should have had all the issues that you pointed out right.

I would love to talk to you. Please reach out to me mark@thethunderbirdinn.com.

regards,

Mark Thomas

Reviewed February 22, 2013

I rated it average because the room was clean and the price was reasonable. There is construction going on across the street from the property. This creates a lot of noise during the daytime but that isn't the fault of the "Inn." It is billed as a retro inn and the "hippest hotel in Savannah!" I didn't find it particularly hip at all and it certainly isn't a hotel. An old-fashioned motel sign and trinkets from yesteryear for sale in the tiny lobby provide a glimpse into the past. Guests receive a continental breakfast of juice and donuts in the lobby. Don't expect to take your juice or coffee to go though. I only saw glassware. This place is good for someone who enjoys basic accommodations and likes to park directly in front of their motel room door, provided there is enough parking on the day you arrive.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Pros: Friendly staff, Affordable, located close too historic district, Pet friendly, Krispie Cream Donuts, RC Colas & Moonpies, Clean linens
Cons: Dirty carpet in room, Very loud traffic could be heard through thin windows all night, Charge to credit card was more than what we booked for (still working on resolution), small tv with no remote control

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 18, 2013

First I want to say that the room was clean. The noise from the street and ice maker were irritating. The bathroom light and fan (on same switch) flipped on and off all night long by itself ( this happened in more than one room, we had a block).
The breakfast was disappointing...donuts were at least a day old and juice was sickly sweet (cheap). Lemonade and popcorn were not available at check-in as advertised.

Price was right to stay in downtown area. Decor was fun with it's retro 60's look. Free Parking! Rooms were cute but it's been a while since they've done a remodel...might be time to start some updates-especially on updating the mattresses.

Customer service was great!

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed February 15, 2013

We were pleasantly surprised by the Thunderbird Inn. The exterior is a throw-back to the motor inns of the '60s, but our room was fine, especially at the price. To me the best thing was the location - it's within walking distance of everything ... the hop-on/hop-off trolley tours, the welcome centre, and the old city itself. If you enjoy wandering through beautiful squares and gracious restored buildings you'll want to stay within walking distance of the historic downtown. I had no idea Savannah was so beautiful. If you get a chance, go out to the Bonaventure cemetery too ... very special even for people like me who haven't yet read "The Book".

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank covecutie
Reviewed February 8, 2013

This place rocks such a funky retro hotel. The staff are so awesome Tracy, Leslie, Mikey are nice as can be. Great price perfect location. Be sure to ask about George Monk the coolest monkey in town. Super pet friendly they loved my dogs to pieces. The inn keeper Mark Thomas really knows how to manage a great hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends