“a cool alternative”

GreenLeadersGold level
Raleigh
“a cool alternative”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

We found the Thunderbird a wonderful choice for a weekend stay. As lovely as the Savannah B&Bs are, this was a fun--and much more affordable alternative to them. Great location--easy walk to City Market, the Riverwalk and the Visitor's Center is right behind the hotel making it convenient to go pick out tours, souvenirs and visit two museums. Hotel staff was great. Krispy Kremes start your day with a smile!

Room Tip: second floor gives you great view of the bridge over the Savannah River.
4 Thank maman04

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
Hilton Head, South Carolina
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Tracey at the front desk was SO helpful and nice! We will stay here again because his great service. Great location, easy to find and close to everything especially the bars on congress. Simple with great rates especially for a holiday weekend.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank heather m
tbirdmanager, General Manager at The Thunderbird Inn, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
I love when one of our fantastic staff members are mentioned by name! Thank you for staying with us. I am glad you will return; it gives us another opportunity to WOW you!

Mark
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed January 15, 2013

We arrived late (11pm) and were brightly greeted by the night manager ( Mickey?) who welcomed us so pleasantly. Even thought they were close to full he made the extra effort to make sure we parked in a safe spot and then went on to explain how they had Krispy Kreme donuts for breakfast.

Once we went to our room (which had gotten upgraded to a king bed!!!) we found a moonpie on the pillow and a cold RC Cola by the bed-stand. The room was clean but had that old style feel to it. I admit I was scared it might have some doggie smells since it is a pet friendly spot but no, it was fine.

We stayed 2 nights and found it to be very convenient walking distance to the hot spots (if you are ok with walking 7-10 blocks. Hey, I was pretty smashed Saturday night and made the walk from city market fine, heh)

Based on other reviews, I think people fail to know what they are coming to. This place is about a retro look and feel, with absolutely fantastic customer service. The daytime manager who greeted me each morning for breakfast was top notch. I needed direction to the bank and boom, a map with drawn x-marks-the-spot.

I will always stay here if I get this level of excellence. My biggest fear is that it become too well known and we won't be able to afford to stay there.

5 Thank Elvis T
Huber Heights
Reviewed January 15, 2013 via mobile

The hotel staff was friendly and helpful. We especially liked the popcorn and hot chocolate at the front desk. The location was a 5-10 minute walk from everything we wanted to do in Savannah. The rooms included moon pies and rc cola. Everything was clean and well maintained. The rooms were smaller than other places we stayed on our trip but were good enough for a couple of nights. Breakfast included Krispy Kreme doughnuts, juice and coffee.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank James B
Thank you for taking the time to write a review! I am glad you liked the small the small details like the popcorn!

I hope you will return again soon!

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 14, 2013

The rooms here are basic, but when all you really need is a place to lay your head at the end of a busy day sightseeing, the Thunderbird more than fits the bill. The location is great for exploring the historic district, especially if you hop on the dot express shuttle at the nearby Visitors' Centre stop.
All the little touches make the Thunderbird much more than an average motel experience - the bags of popcorn at the front desk; the Moon Pies on the pillows; the hot chocolate at all hours. We took the hotel mascot - sock monkey George Monk - exploring with us for a day. Such a fun thing to do!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Heres_Kate
Thank you for taking time to write a review! I am glad you enjoyed the small touches like the MoonPies and Popcorn!

Isn't George fun to take around? I hope you posted some pictures on his Facebook page?

Reviewed January 9, 2013

If you are looking for luxury this is not the place for you BUT if you are looking for a clean, cute, friendly, reasonable, :) :) :)
Place to stay in Savannah...
THIS IS IT!!!!!
Shana and the rest of the staff are friendly helpfull. There is a doggie cookie jar at the front desk which made me lots of new fury friends in Savannah!

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank purebronx
Thank you for taking time to write a review! I love your pooch loved the doggie cookie jar! I am glad Shana did a great job! I hope you will tell your friends about us!
South Carolina
Reviewed January 8, 2013

I was disappointed based on all the great reviews. Our room was a stinky upon arrival - it was better once we got the heat/fan going to circulate the air. Overall, the room was OK, the bathroom could use some updating.

1 Thank wldtraveler2
I am sorry that your room wasn't what you were expecting. We work very hard to keep all rooms fresh and inviting. My staff is aware of this review and will work with more focus on this! I hope you will come back again and see that we are constantly improving!