“fun surprise!”

GreenLeadersGold level
WEST KINGSTON
“fun surprise!”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

if you are ever in Savannah, GA, you must stay at the Thunderbird Inn! I booked through Hotwire and was a bit worried whe we pulled into the parking lot! I thought it was going to be too tacky and old fashioned since it is so retro. However, what a wonderful surprise! The reception woman, Stephanie, was warm , friendly and helpful. The rooms are larger than expected - beds are so comfortable, and the moon pie on the pillow is hilarious! The krispie creme donuts in the AM was delicious and then we did the "Old Savannah Trolley Tour" which was excellant. Stephanie even arranged it so they picked us upp right in the Thunderbird parking lot! The tour was terrific because the guides were knowledgeable and humerous. it was easy to get off at any of the stops then get back on and hear the tour from where we last left off even though it was a different guide! loved Savannah - look forward to going back and staying at the Thunderbird Inn again!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
Saint Robert, MO
Reviewed October 28, 2012

I was nervous to stay at the Thunderbird, but was pleasantly surprised. It is not luxurious by any means, but is a nice, clean place to stay the night after exploring Savannah. The beds were sparkling white and comfortable, the staff was friendly (Tracy caught an error I had made in my reservation and fixed it before I even arrived!), the Krispy Kremes were delicious, and it was a quick walk to the historic district. Best of all, it was CHEAP! The view isn't pretty (a bus station under construction, a sketchy-looking plaza a bit down the road, etc.) but I felt safe walking my dog outside and walking with my toddler to the historic district. The frig in the room was much appreciated, too.

The only major problems I encountered and what keeps me from giving it an "excellent" rating: Dirty carpet--bring slippers! It had obviously been vacuumed, but there was a layer of black yuck on our socks after walking around for only a minute or two. Gross. Was also not pleased with the pet fee, which was 50% of our nightly rate. A bit steep for a motel, in my opinion. Also, the walkways to the rooms weren't as clean as they could be. Everything looked like it could use a good powerwashing.

That said, I'd recommend this place to a friend, and would definitely stay here again if I find myself back in Savannah. Can't beat the price and location!

Room Tip: Bring some white noise if you'll be bothered by the sound of trolleys and buses
1 Thank mill23
Asheville, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed October 28, 2012

I found this motel after looking in the yellow pages online- so glad I found it. Very friendly and helpful staff, great music to match the atmosphere... love the amenities- popcorn at check in, RC Cola and moon pies, and krispy cremes for breakfast. not to mention the very comfy beds! great find in savanah- I look forward to staying there again!

Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed October 23, 2012

If you go to Savannah, try the Thunderbird Inn, a retro motel. It is hip, clean, and reasonably priced. The staff is super friendly. You can walk to the center of activity. I would definitly stay here anytime I'm in Savannah.

Room Tip: No reason to believe any room would be better than others.
2 Thank Barbara M
Scaly Mountain, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Being from Savannah, I have driven past this hotel for years and never thought much of it. I have since moved to NC and we decided to do the foodie tour last night and stay downtown. I went through hotwire.com and ended up here. I was not excited, I hate to say..BUT when we got there and checked in the staff was extremely nice and polite. The rooms were spotless and absolutely beautiful! I am ready to tell any friends that are coming down to try it out. Really really pleased with quality and price. Yay, Thunderbird for being cutesy and retro and loved the moonpies on the pillows:)

2 Thank Trudie G
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed October 22, 2012

This place was really cute and retro. They play music out on a speaker during the day which is quite cool. The rooms were clean and had thunderbird soaps and shampoo etc which smelt lovely. The front desk staff were really helpful and sold a few quirky thunderbird things out the front. I noticed the Inn is also pet friendly and they had a bowl of treats at the front desk for your dog! The breakfast is probably a bit too quirky, it's doughnuts and coffee. Personally that is too much sugar in the morning for me but if you do like doughnuts get in there quick as they were all gone on our first morning there! The place was clean and they were very generous with towels in the room. I would recommend staying here, it is so close to the bars and restaurants too and very good value.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Georgia
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Very retro hotel.....reminded me of traveling across the country with my parents in the 60's. Very impressed with the front desk staff, housekeeping staff. Only stayed one night and was able to walk to the Savannah Civic Center to see Bonnie Raitt in concert. Very clean, comfortable room, great pillows! Also a wonderful pizza place on the corner :) Loved the retro dispensers in the bathroom for shampoo, bath gel! Loved the RC Colas & Mint Moon PIes in the room! This was a terrific start to our week in the Savannah/Tybee Island area, we definitely will be back!