“Not a Home Run, but a Solid Double...Headed for third.”

The Thunderbird Inn
Ranked #33 of 115 Hotels in Savannah
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 28, 2011

I stayed one night with my wife and two girls. I was looking for a clean, safe room within walking distance of the Historical District. The pricing made this hotel an option. I was intrigued by the retro decor and the 'funky feel' reviews...

Our arrival found us greeted warmly and check-in was swift and friendly. We were given a first-floor room, even though we had reserved a second-floor room. That was no big deal at the time, so I didn't complain. It only became a big deal after we returned about 8 pm from a trip into town, and the A/C wasn't cooling...Bonny came straight to the room, tried to rest the air conditioner, offered a fan, but it was too hot and stuffy to stay. She said the hotel was ful, so our coice was to stay or go. I chose to leave, but asked her to call the manager 'who always answered back to the reviews on TripAdviser"...She said she would call Mark, and get back to me. Instead, Mark himself called my room within 3 minutes! He advised that they had a room available upstairs, and offered to let us move there. I accepted his offer and found a cold room waiting. We enjoyed a cool, comfortable night. (Upon leaving, we did find an empty 1/2 gallon liquor bottle under a bed...unsure how housekeeping missed that-) Otherwise, our beds were comfy and clean. The toiletries were cool and the shower hot. The second room was the charm. Irony is, it was probably the 'second-floor' room that I booked earlier...

The location was just on the edge of the Historical District. A short walk was necessary, but it was pleasant and everything felt safe. Noise was a bit of an issue- Traffic noise was expected, and tolerable. The piped music they play in the parking lot was ok in the daytime, but it needs to be shut off at night...It was still playing and was noticable at 11 pm. Then people have to yell in the parking lot to communicate...

Overall, I was quite satisfied. The price and location made up for the bad parts. I would have left packing, had the A/C problem not been resolved, though...As it is, I will return to the Thunderbird on my next visit.

I never got my Moon Pie, though. Pity. That may have made have made it a sliding triple!
I settled for Krispy Kremes and bought myself a coffee mug!

I do not expect a motel like this to be perfect, and it wasn't. It ended up perfectly fine for my family, and provided us a great start to a vacation further south. Location, pillow-top mattresses, safety and customer service when issue arose...I can't ask for more.

Thanks Bonney and Mark. We will be back. (But start checking under the beds, and turn off that music earlier!) Thanks!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank NCValuTraveler
Write a ReviewReviews (1,735)

Reviewed July 27, 2011

We stayed at the Thinderbid Inn three times now always in the same suite which we love. The rooms are clean the retro decor is cool and we love the Kispy Kreme breakfast. I can't say enough about Stephanie at the front desk, she's always helpful both on the phone and in person. We've always gotten our favorite room thanks to her and one Saturday while we were waiting for our room to be cleaned she brought out doughnuts. A nice touch as it was beyond checkin time.
On our stay in June we noticed some updates to the rooms since our May visit, new coffee cups, tv, remote and a delightful book about Savannah.
However that night after we were in bed I started to take one of the extra pillows off my side of the bed and noticed what look very much like spots of blood on the pillow case. On further inspetion the bottom side of the top pillow also had what looked like blood drop stains on it. These did NOT look like they had been washed then over looked they looked fresh. I also believe they were stacked in a way to hide them. They were definately not changed! As we were aleady in bed I just took those two off the bed and used the other two pillows which appeared clean. The next moning I brought it to the attention of the front desk staff, who aplolgized.
When we got home I sent an email to the website/manager expecting some kind of response. A month later I have not gotten anything, but I HAVE noticed that Mark Thomas
manager of The Thunderbid Inn always has an answer for negative reviews here.
We go to Savannah two or there times a year we may have stayed our last night at the Thunderbird Inn.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
tbirdmanager, General Manager at The Thunderbird Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2011

Thank you for staying here on your past three visits. I am happy that we were able to keep you returning. I love that you noticed the subtle changes we made in the room offerings. It shows that the small details matter!

The problem comes when a big issue arises such as sheets that apparently not changed. That is unacceptable on any level. I am embarrassed to have that happen.

I am also embarrassed that I somehow didn't receive the email that you sent. I love speaking with my guests for any reason. I would love to talk to you about this so I can understand when you stayed and who you spoke with upon check out, not to mention see who cleaned your room so I can retrain or release that employee.

I will send you a personal message in hopes we will be able to chat.

Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed July 27, 2011

Mark was so patient and helpful in booking several rooms for our derby team! We had to change things a couple times, and it was always, "No problem!" Bonnie and the other staff were so cheerful and helpful. We appreciated the coffee and donuts, and the outdoor patio!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends

We love Roller Derby! What a fun event. Let me say, if anyone has the chance to support their local derby team they should!

I am happy that your girls had a good time in Savannah and with us. It is always a pleasure for me to work with a group to meet their needs! Next year when you come we're going to have a small care package just for derby team members! See you then!

Reviewed July 26, 2011

I went to Savannah with my sisters and little girls. Never been in Savannah so we didn't know if this hotel was going to be close to everything. Well its in a great location. We walked everywhere. We did take our car to the River at night, which did give us an issue with parking at the hotel after 10pm. But, we managed it with the hotel. The ladies at the front desk were very nice and accomodating. The housekeeping people were also friendly and our rooms were clean. The beds were very comfortable, the tub was a small tub... but our kids thought it was perfect size for them. The moon pie and RC cola was a hit for the kids as well.

All in all, I loved the feel of the hotel. It didn't seem cheezy motel at all. We didn't bring out dog but I was glad to hear they did take pets for our next visit.

Room Tip: some rooms are bigger than others so if you need more room ask
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family

Thank you for your review! I am glad that you had a great time with your sisters and daughters! I would love to know what you did during your time with us. We have great Tea Rooms in town that would be fun for a girls' trip. My daughter loves having "Tea"!

I hope you will stay with us again. PS, great tip about the room size!

Reviewed July 26, 2011

I really did our homework price-wise and found the Thunderbird to be the most economical and centrally located accomodations. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly, rooms were clean and if we wanted for anything, they obliged. Only thing was our remote was temperamental, but we weren't there to watch TV anyway. We hope to stay there again soon. HINT: parking on the streets is 'free" from 5:00 p.m. Fri. thru Sun. eve. The meters don't tell you that, but our Old Town Trolley guide did (best trolley in town). Try the Top of the Bohemia Hotel for roof top drinks and appetizers. The view is wonderful.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank FlaHoneymooners

I LOVE your review! You have great tips for future visitors! Thank you. I am please the Tbird fit your budget and still delivered the service and comfort you were looking for. I apologize for the remote. They are temperamental; I actually replace them often.

Reviewed July 25, 2011

Rooms and premises were clean and well-kept. Beds are large and comfortable. Location and price are key here...easy walk to City Market, River Street and the rest of downtown for nearly half the rate of other hotels.

• Stayed: July 2011
tbirdmanager, General Manager at The Thunderbird Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2011

Thank you for your review! I am pleased you enjoyed your visit to the Thunderbird Inn. I look forward to you staying again.

Reviewed July 24, 2011

I have pros and cons about this place.

Pros- clean, cute, funky, nice staff. VERY dog friendly!!!! I was very happy that we got to bring all 3 of our dogs with us since we had no other option. Plus the room had enough room for all 3 crates.

Cons-No trashcan for doggy poo in the doggy area and you have to carry the poop through the dining area/lobby to the trashcan outside. Also two days in a row I needed clean towels and they said they were being washed and dried. You'd think a hotel would have enough towels for their guests. The place even had vacancies on those 2 days. The area is very loud. It's right across from the greyhound station and on a very busy road. (I know the inn can't help that but its worth mentioning to people looking to stay someplace semi quiet.) Also the people who were staying there when we were came in and out all hours of the night and the doors were slamming. (Not the hotels fault but there are a lot of younger people that stay here) Lots of noise there.

I'd stay again if i had to take the dogs on vacation with us again since they were so dog friendly. I'll take ear plugs with me next time.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your honest and through review! It has been an oversight to not have a can in our fenced area for "Doggie Business Bags"; I will get one ordered today. We want to be the most pet friendly inn in Savannah, so we should have the proper accessories.

I will look into to why we were running short on towels... That shouldn't ever be an issue. Please accept my apology for you having to wait on them.

Being an exterior corridor building, the noise is a little more than normal. We are actually researching ways to make the noise a little more muted.

Again, thank you for your review!