I stayed one night with my wife and two girls. I was looking for a clean, safe room within walking distance of the Historical District. The pricing made this hotel an option. I was intrigued by the retro decor and the 'funky feel' reviews...
Our arrival found us greeted warmly and check-in was swift and friendly. We were given a first-floor room, even though we had reserved a second-floor room. That was no big deal at the time, so I didn't complain. It only became a big deal after we returned about 8 pm from a trip into town, and the A/C wasn't cooling...Bonny came straight to the room, tried to rest the air conditioner, offered a fan, but it was too hot and stuffy to stay. She said the hotel was ful, so our coice was to stay or go. I chose to leave, but asked her to call the manager 'who always answered back to the reviews on TripAdviser"...She said she would call Mark, and get back to me. Instead, Mark himself called my room within 3 minutes! He advised that they had a room available upstairs, and offered to let us move there. I accepted his offer and found a cold room waiting. We enjoyed a cool, comfortable night. (Upon leaving, we did find an empty 1/2 gallon liquor bottle under a bed...unsure how housekeeping missed that-) Otherwise, our beds were comfy and clean. The toiletries were cool and the shower hot. The second room was the charm. Irony is, it was probably the 'second-floor' room that I booked earlier...
The location was just on the edge of the Historical District. A short walk was necessary, but it was pleasant and everything felt safe. Noise was a bit of an issue- Traffic noise was expected, and tolerable. The piped music they play in the parking lot was ok in the daytime, but it needs to be shut off at night...It was still playing and was noticable at 11 pm. Then people have to yell in the parking lot to communicate...
Overall, I was quite satisfied. The price and location made up for the bad parts. I would have left packing, had the A/C problem not been resolved, though...As it is, I will return to the Thunderbird on my next visit.
I never got my Moon Pie, though. Pity. That may have made have made it a sliding triple!
I settled for Krispy Kremes and bought myself a coffee mug!
I do not expect a motel like this to be perfect, and it wasn't. It ended up perfectly fine for my family, and provided us a great start to a vacation further south. Location, pillow-top mattresses, safety and customer service when issue arose...I can't ask for more.
Thanks Bonney and Mark. We will be back. (But start checking under the beds, and turn off that music earlier!) Thanks!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Meet-up at our delightfully quirky motel where refined Savannah's so-historic location and so-hip eccentricities hook up. Discounted Savannah lodging was never so much fun! Hotel rates include Moon Pies and Krispy Kreme donuts! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Thunderbird Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Thunderbird Hotel Savannah
- Thunderbird Hotel Savannah