“Fun Retro Themed Motel”

The Thunderbird Inn
Ranked #34 of 115 Hotels in Savannah
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed June 6, 2011

The Thunderbird has a fun retro 60's theme. The rooms were clean and the beds were very comfortable. Big, nice TV. Very affordable. My only criticism is that for some reason the don't provide bar soap.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank alizarian
tbirdmanager, General Manager at The Thunderbird Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2011

I am pleased you enjoyed the authentic retro experience of the Thunderbird Inn! To answer your question, we went with custom branded Spa toiletries of Face Wash, Bath Gel, Shampoo, Conditioner, and Lotion... Bar soap was so rarely used, we opted away from it to invest the money in the quality of the other products.

I will get bar soap and keep it upon request. There is no reason to not have it on hand?

Did you get to have Popcorn and Lemonade upon arrival?

Write a ReviewReviews (1,736)

Reviewed May 31, 2011

Had a fantastic stay.... I'll break it down into sections: Location, room quality, service, and price.

Location:
The location is great, my wife and I walked everywhere we went. The only time our car moved was when we went to Tybee Island on our last day. Everything worth seeing or doing is within walking distance, whether it be the waterfront shops on River Street, or the fountain at Forsyth park, and everything in between.

Room Quality:
Let's get something straight right off the bat. If you're already thinking about staying here, this hotel room is right for you. No, its not loaded with amenities or luxury. It is however, extremely clean, very comfortable, and yes, very retro. If you are like my wife and I, the only time you spend in the room on vacation is for showering and sleeping, and this room is more than capable for that. It also had the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in away from home, including the beds on the Carnival Cruises I've been on. The AC will freeze you out, the free wireless worked flawlessly, and it was plenty quiet.

Service:
Hands down, the best service I've ever experienced at a hotel. EVER. We checked in at 2AM Saturday morning, and Tracy, the guy who was running the front desk, had just started his dinner break. He STILL checked us in with a smile on his face, and took the time to explain the layout of the city, give us tips on where to go and what to see and do, and he did all this voluntarily, we didn't ask at all. He even did it with a great deal of humor as well. And although we didn't have the maids clean up our room while we were there, they always greeted us as we passed them with a friendly hello and a smile.

Price:
Hands down, the best deal in Savannah. The closest hotel, a block away on MLK Jr. BLVD, is $50 more per night. I'd rather take that money and spend it on a tour, dinner, drinks, etc. My wife and I spent 3 nights here over memorial day weekend, and it was les than $350.00 FOR THE WEEKEND. Try that elsewhere in Savannah. Go ahead, I'll wait.

Conclusion:
If you are looking for a clean, friendly, cheap, and close to everything place to stay in Savannah. You've found it in The Thunderbird. They have it all, in spades. This will be the only place we ever stay on our returning trips.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mk2k4

We all loved reading your review! Thank you for all of the time you invested in writing it! You actually mentioned almost all of our points that we stress. Cleanliness, Friendliness, Value being our big 3!

I hope you are able to return to the Tbird again soon.

Thank you!

Reviewed May 30, 2011

For the price point this hotel room met and exceeded our expectations. The staff doubled them. Enjoy.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family

First, Thank you for spending your birthday with us and in Savannah! What an honor to share that with you!

I am glad you were able to take advantage of our Birthday Club. This is a new club that we put in place for our guests. Hopefully you took the money you saved and spent it on yourself!

Reviewed May 29, 2011

This Inn has a Birthday Club,while talking with the front desk,was asked about our trip when I said is was my Birthday,right away I was asked if I was signed up for there club,I said no and Bonnie at the front desk said I 'll sign you up right now,and I received a 25% discount on our room,! What GREAT service,

Room Tip: The room was quiet, parking was in front of room
Reviewed May 24, 2011

I recently had a long weekend at the Thunderbird Inn. It was a nice little surprise. What a great hotel. The staff was excellent and the price could not be beat. Truely a gem. We had such a great time that we booked for another stay before we even checked out.

1  Thank CJR_48_11

I am happy you are returning to stay with us again. Be sure to ask for our staff picks so we can show you something new to try while in town!

Reviewed May 24, 2011

Great rooms, great staff. They went above and beyond by mailing me a present I had bought for my son, and accidently left. The place is set apart but is within walking to just about everything you'd want to see in Historic Savannah.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends

And we will do our best to make sure that sentiment never changes!

Reviewed May 22, 2011

Now at first glance, when you drive by the older-looking motel in Savannah GA (which happens to be directly across from the Greyhond bus station), you'd think to yourself, "Wow...looks like an old motel that was built in the 1960's..."

And you'd be right about that. But it's never wise to judge a book by its cover.

This hotel has reasonable rates - very reasonable. (That is, if you can get a room. They stay pretty well booked year-round, and you'll soon know why.)

When you first open the door of your room, you aren't expecting much, due to the price and the way the place looks from the street. But once inside...wow. You are in for a shock of the most positive kind. Whoever owns this hotel, they definitely have the right idea. The room appointments are stellar. The furniture, the bed, the linens, the television - all high end, all top of the line. Every inch of the place is clean as a whistle. The tub and shower area are immaculate. The bed is really wonderful, you'll see what I mean if you actually are smart enough to book a room here. And the vanity in the bathroom has a special light-dimming feature that really is fun to play with. The soaps, shampoos, towels - all first-class, all the way.

There's a deli close by that serves excellent food. I can't recall the name of it, but they will probably have menus for it in the rooms, or at the front desk.

I have stayed in hotels all over the world during the past 20 years, most especially in the U.S. and Canada. And this is one of the best hotels I have ever encountered for the money, anywhere in the world.

Fact.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank RambleOn88

We love the wow factor of our rooms. So much so that we are currently repainting them with "historic Savannah" inspired retro colors! They are looking fantastic. I hope you were able to stay in one of these rooms!

The outside is what it is... a 1964 motor court. The bright colors are the original panels under the windows, the neon sign is the largest of its kind in the southeast. We strive to keep it original and be proud of our mid-century architecture because so much of it is being torn down.

We have recently added wonderful landscaping with Roses, Mexican sage, Lantana, and more! It creates a beautiful splash of color along Oglethorpe Ave.

Thank you again for staying with us!