“negative reviews very misleading”

The Thunderbird Inn
Ranked #33 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
GreenLeadersGold level
georgia
“negative reviews very misleading”
Reviewed April 7, 2011

Just returned from two day stay with my 9 yr old son. We were looking for a budget friendly trip because it was so last minute and during spring break and music festival. Won a bid for this hotel on discount site for $67/night. Saw write up in Nat'l Geographic Traveler mag as budget friendly pick but many reviews on trip advisor were negative. The most alarming to me was the claim that the Thunderbird was in a horrible section of town. I was very scared driving in to the Thunderbird b/c I had never been to Savannah and didn't know what to expect. Upon arrival I saw that the reviews I read were wrong. Yes, the Greyhound bus stop is across the street and a housing project is behind that but I never saw more than a few people milling about. Definately not anything alarming and I am very anxious about those type of things! The motel is surrounded on all the other sides by SCAD dorms, the Savannah Welcome Center and The Hampton Inn. The motel is a renovated Day's Inn type that has been remodeled and updated. The beds were extremely comfy, the showers were nice and hot, and the room also had a fridge! The carpet could use a good cleaning and the walls could use a new coat of paint but I only paid $67/night. I was not expecting the Hampton Inn. The motel is on the fringe of the historic district , only a block away from MLK, which is the beginning of the historic district. The first night, because of the reviews, I made sure we were in our room before dark. However, after walking around the next day, I knew the claims of the area being unsafe were ungrounded and we had a good time walking around. Savannah is a big city and caution should be used at all times. I did not have a big pocketbook draped across my shoulder. SCAD students were everywhere and we were not isolated. If you feel uncomfortable just take a cab back (approx $5) or have a pedicab take you back to the motel. Overall, we thought the Thujnderbird was a great value and the rooms were fine (remember, we were not expecting luxury). If you just want a place to crash for the night and you want to spend most of your time sightseeing, this might be a good place for you. If you walk into the Hampton Inn and inspect the area for stray hairs and stains, don't stay here. This is a great budget motel and service is excellent. I cannot say enough about Leo and his helpfulness. Also, the motel serves yummy lemonade throughout the day and Krispy Kreme doughnuts and coffee in the morning. Can't beat that...but don't expect the moonpie...it was no where to be seen.

Room Tip: Went through Orbitz
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank georgiasusieq

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed April 7, 2011

I had minor problems with the room (ie my tv had to be replaced, the toilet ran constantly, and the internet took a long time to finally work) The rooms were pretty clean though and the location was very close to down town. The bed was comfortable too. When I checked in though, they "said" that they charged both nights on the business card from the company I was there interviewing with, but a few days later they put a $200 charge on my card, I called and they said it was just a hold to make sure there was money on it and it would take 5 days to clear! Who puts a $200 hold on a card just because? Especially when there already was one. So that charge finally cleared off of my card and then 2 days later another one showed up for $150. They decided to charge my card for one of the nights instead of the business card they had on file for the reservation, after they told me when I was standing there that they charged the other card for both nights. Very frustrated with how they run their business.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Tarpon Springs, Florida
Reviewed April 4, 2011

I have been to Savannah once before and stays just outside of the historic district and had to drive in each day to hang out. My friend and I wanted to stay in the historic district so we could just get up in the morning and take a walk, never needing the car until we left. The Thunderbird Inn with their cost made that possible. It might just be a standard hotel, but it was clean, comfortable beds and friendly staff. If you want something more luxurious, you're going to pay big time for it in the historic district. I will be back. Thanks Thunderbird!

Room Tip: All rooms face the drive, so no choices there.
Cochran, GA
Reviewed April 4, 2011

-The bed was the most comfortable bed I have slept in ever. I remember thinking once that the bed at the Marriott (much more expensive!) in Charlotte, NC was divine, but I liked this one even better, especially the pillows! In fact, upon leaving we asked where they got the pillows and what kind they were and bought some like them or very similar.
It was clean and tidy, old but trendy, small. PTAC units in the rooms are old, but many things have been more recently remodeled.
Walking distance to historic Savannah.
Moonpies on your pillow, but we were there at Valentine's Day, so we had Valentine's candy! Great memorabilia in their gift shop, maybe a bit overpriced but cute. Does an excellent job of conveying the Vegas roadside motel kind of experience.
The staff is VERY friendly. Krispy Kreme for breakfast in the breakfast area by the front desk.
I loved it, and I will stay here again!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed April 2, 2011

While traveling with a friend, we recently stayed at this hotel because we prefer to patronize mom& pop establishments. The reviews we read said that the beds were the most comfortable beds ever. They were right!!! The mattress and bed linens were amazing. I normally have a terrible time sleeping, butI felt like I was being cradled in heaven with my mattress. The rest of the room was pretty basic, but fine since we didn't spend much time inside. Could have been a little cleaner, but it wasn't dirty. Location was very accessible to the historic area. One great hint...before you go out exploring, speak with Bonnie at the front desk. She has many good suggestions about places to see that are not listed in any of the guides. Plus, she's friendly and helpful beyond normal.

Denton, Texas
Reviewed March 30, 2011

My friend and I decided to do a girls/ mommy weekend away and stayed here the 24th through the 28th.
Upon arrival we were told that the room rate was $154 a night even though when we booked it we were told $114. Luckily my friend is organized and brought her documentation to show the price we were quoted. We wound up being charged a weekend rate for Saturday though.
The room was decent enough. The shower curtain was absolutley filthy however and me and my friend tried not to touch it other than to pull it shut. The comforter which is white was pretty dingy and I had to wonder if it is washed after each use. The toilet only flushed part of the time. Tempature control in the room was pretty tricky and you either freeze to death or sweat profusely.
I'm not sure the reason but whenever the room was cleaned they wouldn't leave clean towels. They would take your dirty towels but not leave clean ones. We had to call each time to get towels. The lady that brought them to use was sweet as pie though.

Each night all we could hear was people outside yelling. There is quite a bit of traffic noise but it wasn't that bad...the yelling though. Ugh.

The motel is a good distance away from 'the action'. So if you want to be in the thick of things this in not the place to stay. With all of the fattening Southern food we didn't mind the walk and my friend and I walked everywhere we went. (keep those pounds off!)

I can't honestly say that I would stay here again. But the staff is friendly. If they could just care about the cleaniness and tell those that are outside causing a ruckas to move on down the road it would be a pretty decent place to stay.

1 Thank KrissyBurke05
Berlin, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 28, 2011

Be careful when booking here they did not honor the agreed upon rate!
I had a problem booking on line so did it over the phone & unfortunately I did not request a confirming email. The published price of $114 was hiked to $154 when i checked in. Not having any documentation (I've never before had a problem – having always booked at more reputable establishments), they would not honor the rate (they did however split the difference with me).

Also at the front desk was another customer having a similar overcharge issue on her room. Am I sensing a pattern? My advise is to not go here, I don't think they are honest but if you do "get it in writing".

Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
tbirdmanager, General Manager at The Thunderbird Inn, responded to this review, March 29, 2011
I am embarrassed that you had a rate issue. I wish you could have emailed me before you became this upset. I strive to opperate the Tbird with the upmost integrity; I am sorry you feel this is not the case. I would be upset too if my rate wasn't what I thought it was.

Our policy is to send out two confirmations. The first is to go out as soon as you make your reservation. This acts as our agreement on the rate so if something does go wrong, we can correct it quickly. The second goes out two days before your arrival to follow up and offer assistance with your stay in Savannah.

I would love to talk to you to see where this went wrong and get it fixed for you.