Just returned from two day stay with my 9 yr old son. We were looking for a budget friendly trip because it was so last minute and during spring break and music festival. Won a bid for this hotel on discount site for $67/night. Saw write up in Nat'l Geographic Traveler mag as budget friendly pick but many reviews on trip advisor were negative. The most alarming to me was the claim that the Thunderbird was in a horrible section of town. I was very scared driving in to the Thunderbird b/c I had never been to Savannah and didn't know what to expect. Upon arrival I saw that the reviews I read were wrong. Yes, the Greyhound bus stop is across the street and a housing project is behind that but I never saw more than a few people milling about. Definately not anything alarming and I am very anxious about those type of things! The motel is surrounded on all the other sides by SCAD dorms, the Savannah Welcome Center and The Hampton Inn. The motel is a renovated Day's Inn type that has been remodeled and updated. The beds were extremely comfy, the showers were nice and hot, and the room also had a fridge! The carpet could use a good cleaning and the walls could use a new coat of paint but I only paid $67/night. I was not expecting the Hampton Inn. The motel is on the fringe of the historic district , only a block away from MLK, which is the beginning of the historic district. The first night, because of the reviews, I made sure we were in our room before dark. However, after walking around the next day, I knew the claims of the area being unsafe were ungrounded and we had a good time walking around. Savannah is a big city and caution should be used at all times. I did not have a big pocketbook draped across my shoulder. SCAD students were everywhere and we were not isolated. If you feel uncomfortable just take a cab back (approx $5) or have a pedicab take you back to the motel. Overall, we thought the Thujnderbird was a great value and the rooms were fine (remember, we were not expecting luxury). If you just want a place to crash for the night and you want to spend most of your time sightseeing, this might be a good place for you. If you walk into the Hampton Inn and inspect the area for stray hairs and stains, don't stay here. This is a great budget motel and service is excellent. I cannot say enough about Leo and his helpfulness. Also, the motel serves yummy lemonade throughout the day and Krispy Kreme doughnuts and coffee in the morning. Can't beat that...but don't expect the moonpie...it was no where to be seen.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Meet-up at our delightfully quirky motel where refined Savannah's so-historic location and so-hip eccentricities hook up. Discounted Savannah lodging was never so much fun! Hotel rates include Moon Pies and Krispy Kreme donuts! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Thunderbird Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Thunderbird Hotel Savannah
- Thunderbird Hotel Savannah