“Good value for the price”

Savannah Bed & Breakfast Inn
Ranked #9 of 30 Savannah B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 21, 2013

This B&B is located at the southern end of the historic district. Not where most of the action is. That said, there is a free shuttle bus which transports you all over town available seven blocks away. On a nice day it is possible to take a nice leisurely walk to the Savannah River in 45 minutes and this is a wonderful walk to do. It's just that you'll likely be eating dinner near the river so the location is not the best for that. If you are willing to drive you can park for not too much in the main drag.

The B&B provides a nice breakfast. You choose from one of 3 options each day and your breakfast is prepared for you at the time you specify the night before. They also pay for your street parking outside on the street as all street parking is metered.

Our room, the Mercer room was actually two doors over (the B&B is actually a string of connected houses) from where you check in and have breakfast, tea or milk and cookies - two nice perks that are offered daily. We had to climb a steep narrow staircase to get to our room. The room was decent in size but the bathroom lacks space for toiletries. There is a desk but no desk chair. There is also a TV. The room was good for being located away from street noise - not a major issue. You could choose a room located in the house where you check in but wherever your room is, you will have to climb stairs so be forewarned if that's an issue for you.

All that being said, the staff is very accommodating and the value is good for what you get.

Room Tip: Be careful in selecting a room as stairs might be an issue. The staff can advise you about this when...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Bob_McAlister, Owner at Savannah Bed & Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2013

As the owner, I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our homemade breakfast, afternoon tea and bedtime milk & cookies! With regards to our location we are near attractions such as the Mercer House, Forsyth Park and Mrs Wilkes. River Street is as you pointed out is the furthest attraction. However, according to Google maps it only takes 20 minutes to walk the mile to River Street. Perhaps we can show you the shortcut next time?

Write a ReviewReviews (1,000)

Reviewed February 18, 2013

We recently stayed 3 nights at this B & B. I have to admit that I was a little worried when the lady led us to this ally to get to our room. It turned out to be a little apartment separate from the main building of rooms but was connected by a courtyard. It was so cute and quaint and secluded from any other visitors. It had an upstairs with the bedroom and bath and downstairs was a small living or sitting room and a small kitchen with an eating area for 4. We had a coffee maker, microwave and refrigerator. The only thing that needed replaced was the faucets as they just seemed loose and maybe overly used. It was very clean and we were pleased with the service. We ordered the chef's breakfast everyday and they were delicious. I would recommend this B & B for anyone who wants some seclusion. It is on the south end of the historic district so you do have to walk pretty far to get to the riverfront area but besides that it was great. I would stay here again if I visit Savannah in the future. A big thanks to all the staff for a great visit.

Room Tip: If you want seclusion choose one of the cottages to stay in.
Reviewed February 13, 2013

This trip was a Christmas gift from our daughter,and while we loved visiting Savannah,the inn left alot to be desired.Our "premium room"came with a view of a broken wall right outside our door,you must pass it to enter and exit.Beyond the wall,the courtyard consisted of warped plywood,,rusty wheelbarrows, tools,and general construction debris.You have to ask for your champagne,which I ve never experienced before,its usually chilling on ice or in fridge.The promised milk and cookies at bedtime is now ice water and cookies.Afternoon tea is also disappointing,with the leftovers from breakfast and a brownie.Not everyone wants sweets Tip jars at every meal are in place,and there is no half and half for coffee.Plan on spending a 1/2 hour looking for street parking on weekends.MY advice:,Ive put my mom up at the ballastone,top shelf and a wonder to behold,my sister was at the Dresser Palmer same time we were at Savannah BnB,,Her standard room was much nicer than our premium,and overall,from gourmet food,to self service bar, milk and cookies,parking,staff friendliness,,afternoon teas and beauty of the place was 10 x better than ours.On trip advisor they are both rated the same,which is an insult to the Dresser;-Palmer.I can only surmise that alot of reviews are from first time B n Bers,or they filter out the ones they dont want you to see,

Room Tip: Notimpressed with the savannah BnB.Our "premium room was in the stable,,through which you had t...
2  Thank Theresa R
Bob_McAlister, Owner at Savannah Bed & Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

As the owner I appreciate your feedback and am sorry the Savannah Bed & Breakfast Inn did not meet with your expectations. The construction area you mentioned will be tidied up. The average price of the two Inns that you mentioned are at least twice the price of our historic inn and yes they are fine establishments. According to consensus on TripAdvisor, we offer excellent value for money for the location and a more casual experience.

Reviewed February 8, 2013

What a beautiful historic building! The location could not be better, and the rooms were each unique and charming. I enjoyed my stay thoroughly until I woke up feeling under the weather and had to speak with Pam at the front desk. From the moment I sat down to ask for a late check out so that I could lie down and rest up for the journey home, she actually acted like she had taken a personal dislike to me. She prioritized phone calls and would not turn from the computer to face me. She may have been too occupied to assist me, but I was shaking from the flu, and an offer for someone to help me take my bags would have been the kind response. I even accidentally forgot some items in the room, and when I when back for them, she was holding them in the air in front of me without speaking. All in all, I found her reaction to her guests inexplicable.

The personal connection you have with B&B staff (the reason you often select these hotels over larger, more impersonal hotels) was really lacking. In fact, it will keep me from staying here on my next trip, because it is so disheartening to feel disliked by the staff.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Jennifer754

As the owner I am glad that you enjoyed our location and historic building. Pam has been with us for 30 years and I suspect she had a rare off day. Our staff are generally known to be friendly and helpful. I am sorry if this was not your experience.

Reviewed February 8, 2013

Right down the street from where they filmed Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, this spreading establishment is more inn than bed and breakfast. There are a wide variety of rooms to choose from, with equal breadth of prices per night. We chose the Chatham room. The website description did share that those staying in this room needed to be able to climb stairs. What was not fully understood was that we needed to go outside and to the main inn to access ice and beverages. Arrival and receiving our keys took over 20 minutes. Road noise overnight (street cleaning at 12:30am) woke us up. Breakfast the first morning of our stay was eggs benedict, which was well done but not outstanding. We had an early flight the second morning and were promised that we could have a breakfast 'to go' earlier than normal serving time. Our granola and yogurt with coffee came 20 minutes past when we had planned to leave for the airport.

Room Tip: Some rooms are not in the same building as the dining area or where other ice and amenities are loca...
2  Thank Hudsonrev
Reviewed February 7, 2013

We stayed here for two nights in the General Jackson,which was great for old knees as it had a private entrance at street level and a very large suite setup, complete with a full kitchen and washing machine for longer stays. Beautifully furnished with painting, mirrors and so forth. We loved this place and have stayd in many B & B's all over the east. Breakfast was terrific, blueberry pancakes one morning and eggs benedict the other morning. They also serve tea (cold iced tea or they will make you hot) and cookies/date bars in the afternoon and hot cookies and milk in the evening. I would stay here again in a heartbeat - even had a nice touch of motion detector night lights to help you find the bathroom, etc. The location is excellent for walkers and there is a free Dot bus abot a block away if you'd rather ride. They feed the parking meters and give you a pass for other parking areas while you are there so its conduive to walk and leave your car there whenever possible! This was a terrific find for an old haunt!

1  Thank Aussie44
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Stayed here for a couple's get-a-way. The afternoon tea and chocolate chip cookies at bedtime made the experience. Breakfast was welcomed, but the inn missed the mark on this. The pancakes were not warm and were not fresh (possibly made prior day?) and despite it supposed to be open at 8, service did not get started until 8:20. The room was comfortable and very well adorned. We selected the "manager's choice" for rooms, which got us the low priced rooms. Our room was garden level facing the street. This was great for us as we were happy to have a less expensive room, but if you are a light sleeper, definitely take a room that is not garden level. Loved the location next to Forsyth Park and its residential surroundings. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2012