“Left After One Night”

Savannah Bed & Breakfast Inn
Ranked #9 of 30 Savannah B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 11, 2013

From reading the other reviews of this place, I guess I expect more of my accommodations than others or I just got a bad room.

The quick summary is that the Inn is in a good location and has a lot of charm, with a friendly and helpful staff. However, a closer inspection shows that it is in need of a facelift and it is not comfortable.

First the good things -- The Inn is very quaint. It's a beautiful old building in a row-house style where the main level is a half dozen steps or so above the ground level. The main level has high ceilings and real wood floors with nice period moldings. The furnishings on the main level are nice reproduction antiques. The Inn is also located in a beautiful and convenient area of Savannah. It really is a picturesque setting with a lot of charm.

However, my room (the "Tomochichi") did not live up to this picture. It was located downstairs beneath the main level. The ceilings were low and it is apparent that this room was added on at some point. The brick walls were nice, but one area was literally plywood that was painted to look like the surrounding brick. The beautiful wood floors on the main level are replaced by cheap vinyl in a wood pattern. With one exception, the furniture was likewise cheap. The upholstered chairs were worn and dirty and the seats were sagging. The pictures would not hang straight on the walls (probably due to the brick) - an easy fix but apparently not deemed worth the effort.

If you like a hard bed, this room would be great for you. It was like sleeping on the floor. The next day my back and neck were so sore as to require pain medication. Being downstairs was also a problem in that at all hours of the night I was awakened by people walking in and out upstairs. I'm a bit hard of hearing, so to wake me up it had to be quite loud. Needless to say I did not get a good night’s sleep.

The bathroom was dimly lit dirty with stains on the wall and a cheap hardened plastic tub/shower combination that has seen better days. The pressure in the shower was so low that I was almost straddling the faucet in order to have the water spray on me. I would have probably done better filling a glass and pouring it over me. Three minutes into the "shower" the hot water was gone.

Perhaps this room is not indicative of rest of the rooms, but it was such a bad experience I moved to a different establishment for the rest of my stay.

Room Tip: Do not get rooms on the lower level.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank DennisBTR
Bob_McAlister, Owner at Savannah Bed & Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2013

As the owner I appreciate you taking the time to give us feedback. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our location and hospitality. Whilst the Tomochichi is one of our most popular rooms, it is clearly not for everyone. With regards to the flooring, thank you for your suggestions and I will upgrade this room soon. The fairly new mattress in the Tomochichi is firm and of a good quality but not for guests with a preference for TempurPedic style mattresses. After all we are a B&B and not a luxury hotel chain.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

Normally B&B's are not a kid's idea of a vacation spot, but our family of 8 (6 adults and 2 children) stayed at the Sgt. Jasper House and it was wonderful. We had our own "house" - huge parlor, dining and kitchen on first floor; 2 large bedrooms (1K/2T) on the second and another 2 large bedrooms (1Q/2T) on the third floor. The staff accommodated our large party for breakfast by bringing our breakfasts to us - and served in our own dining room. That was a nice treat. I highly recommend the location (beautiful, peaceful residential street on a beautiful square) and a very short walk to all the attractions (15 min. max.). I think you will be happy to stay here - we definitely were.

Room Tip: Sgt. Jasper House is a great choice for larger families or maybe two families to stay together under...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Wow, we were really pleased with the Savannah Bed & Breakfast Inn. The staff was extremely pleasant and helpful. Our room was meticulous and included a coffeepot, washer/dryer, full-size refrigerator. The bed was one of the most comfortable we've ever slept in (away from home). The B&B is on a very quiet street and well located in the historic district. You could walk to almost anywhere. They provided free parking, even put money in the meter on our last day. The breakfasts were ample. One day it was scrambled eggs with grits, the next was blueberry pancakes and bacon. They also had a mid-afternoon snack and 8 p.m. cookies and milk. We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LB50
Reviewed January 7, 2013

We spent one night at the Savannah B&B Inn. We had never been to Savannah and were very happily surprised by how charming and historic it was. We choose the "manager's special" for $99 (including street parking and breakfast) and we stayed in the "Masters" room. It was a very nice two-room suite with a fireplace and balcony. Everything was wonderful including chocolate chip cookies in the evening and the fluffy blueberry pancakes the next morning. It was just like staying at someone's home. Our only complaint was that our room was directly above the kitchen and one the cooking started around 6:30am, we could hear it all. We needed to get up early but it's no fun getting woken up. We found the staff to be very friendly and welcoming.

Room Tip: Masters room is right above the kitchen.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Trifish
Reviewed January 7, 2013

My wife and I experienced our honeymoon at this wonderful establishment. The room we stayed in was small, yet quaint. Overall for the price, it was a great deal! The staff was friendly and very genuine, not your typical hotel staff. One day the owner came out and actually helped serve breakfast to the guest. The breakfast was very good! We will be back!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jeremy b
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Just got home from spending 2 nights at this lovely B & B in Savannah. We booked the "manager's special"; therefore, we didn't know what room we would have until we got there. We were given the Oglethorpe room. At first I was concerned because of other people's reviews on this room; however, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The room is directly under the main house's dining area; however, it was very quiet. Our room faced the street, but that too was very quiet. We did hear our "neighbors" come in around 1:30AM because they were talking in the hallway outside our room; however, once they entered their room, we no longer heard them.

The location was perfect for us. It's nestled in a quiet area of the historic district facing Chatham Square. It's away from the noisier area of Bay St. and the River. It's a good 15 min. walk to Bay St., but quite enjoyable where you are taking in the sites and antique stores along the way.

The house is furnished with lovely period antiques, both in the public rooms and in the guest rooms. The bed was very comfortable; however, if you are short, it might be a little harder to get into as it sat quite high off the floor. Our room also had a nice reading chaise and a selection of books to read. There was a fire place in our room, but it was no longer a working fireplace.

The courtyard area behind the house was lovely. We wish the weather had been a little sunnier as it would have been nice to sit out there and enjoy the garden and visiting with the 4 cats in residence.

The breakfasts were very tasty and the service was outstanding. My husband isn't much of a "fancy breakfast" type guy and would have preffered a more "southern style" breakfast with eggs, sausage, gravy and biscuits. The first morning we were served eggs benedict with fresh fruit. Tasty, but not a favorite dish of either of us. The second morning we were served banana bread french toast with fresh fruit. It was delicious!

The afternoon "tea time" was a very nice touch from 4:00-6:00pm as were the warm chocolate chip cookies and milk at 8:00pm each evening.

We will definitely return to this lovely B & B in the future.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank italianlady67
Reviewed December 29, 2012

We checked in on Wednesday, December 26, and we were so excited to see Savannah since we have never been there before. The people who work at this Inn are for the most part friendly and welcoming and I mean for the most part!!! The very nice thing was that we were given a whole house since we had our son with us and we needed extra room. However, upon checking, we noticed a few things that were not completely right. Some of them are not as big of a deal and we could do without but some other stuff was rather unsanitary. We had no hangers and I mean NOTHING!!! The TV was not working (not a big deal). We contacted a gentleman called Joey and asked him to please help us with the TV and I am not kidding when I say that we had to ask him three time and he still did not show up until I called the office and they sent him over. Please note that having a TV was not a big deal to us but our son wanted to watch some shows. Joey came over and he worked on getting the TV going. I asked Joey if we could have some hangers. He was surprised that there was not one single hanger in our closet. He told me that he will ask the housekeeping to bring some the next day (Thursday). Again, no hangers were given to us until late Friday and that was about when we were ready to check out! Now, I am going to tell you about the things that were a big deal to us: The shower walls had quite a lot of previous guest's hair stuck to it and it was so obvious that the housekeeping did not think that they should have cleaned it up before we moved in! Isn't that disgusting!!!??? I cleaned it up. I did not go to the office since I saw how they handled the other stuff... There was a good amount of dust sitting on desk and table tops. The toilet was not brushed properly! The floor was not clean and did not get cleaned even once while we were there... Those are things that are big deal to us. When you pay over $200 for a place to stay, you would expect a better service than that! The interesting part of all of this is that I can see how the owner/manager replies to reviews and apologizes BUT what I really want to know is why didn't he/she try to make sure that these things do not happen before a visitor checks in? When you charge someone that much money, don't you think you should have delivered a clean place for them to stay??? Enjoy your savings! We will never again stay at your inn!

Room Tip: If you want a clean place for the money you pay, look elsewhere!!!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank Layla B
Bob_McAlister, Owner at Savannah Bed & Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2013

As the owner, I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay in our historic inn. Upon further investigation I believe Joey was manning the front desk short of his assistant and your request coincided with peak check in time. We try to get things right but clearly this is not always the case. After all we are a B&B and not the Hilton with 24x7 maintenance service.