“Walter Did a Great Job” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of River House Seafood

River House Seafood
Reserve with OpenTable
River House Seafood is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #64 of 857 Restaurants in Savannah
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Kids, Business meetings, Special occasions, Scenic view, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: Experience genuine Savannah flavor while dining in an 1820's King Cotton Warehouse watching the merchant ships float by. Enjoy local favorites such as crispy scored flounder, shrimp & grits, filet mignon and fresh lobster. Save room for our signature desserts including praline cheesecake, pecan pie and bananas foster.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Walter Did a Great Job”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2010

There are alot of choices along this street and after studying all of the menus, we finally chose the River House. We had no wait for a table and our request for one by the window was happily accommodated.

I ordered the salad, soup, dessert combo at $18. The salad, tossed tableside, was OK and the seafood bisque soup was rich...and more than I could eat. I took my cheesecake dessert "to go" because the portion were so big.

My companion ordered a fish dish with pasta and a lemony sauce. This meal received rave reviews from a usually-non-fish-eater. It was very fresh and the presentation was great.

We didn't notice any of the issues brought up by previous reviewers.

We had great service from Walter, who seemed to only have one other table to serve and was doing well handling both. But what was really impressive was half-way through our meal a huge party (12? 20?) came in and he handled them AND us without missing a beat. Excellent job, Walter!

1 Thank SixOneTwo

Jacksonville FL.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent dinner and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2010

Many negative reviews on here for this restaurant, but we had such an excellent dinner here that we ate here again two nights later. We eat late so there were only a handful of people in there both times. We had great, attentive service and a really great meal.
Like most places on river street, it is an old building and may look a little too rustic (dirty) for some people but that is part of the Savannah charm I suppose.
I would eat here again over the Chart house any day.

1 Thank Carvone
Redmond, Washington
“Could only eat one bite, gross.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2010

We went here for lunch after walking up and down the river walk 3 times, nothing looked appealing and this looked the best of the bunch.

Our server had a very sour look on her face, like she was hating life and us. I ordered the caesar salad and chowder soup and my husband ordered salmon. The server tossed the salad in front of us, and not only did she look murderous when she was doing it but the bowl and all utensils looked filthy. after seeing that i took one bite but felt sick to my stomach and couldn't eat anymore. The soup came and looked thin and watery, I tasted it and it tasted like pure sugar, I gave a bite to my husband who can eat anything and he said it was terrible. He tried to eat his salmon but left half he said the smell coming off of it was nauseating. The whole time the server never asked if the meal was ok, even though the whole thing was left. We asked for the bill and then waited another 25 mins don't know what she was doing. This ruined the beginning of our vacation, and for the first time in my life I didn't tip a server. This place should be shut down.

Stockbridge, Georgia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very disappointing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2010

Total waste of our last meal while vacationing in Savannah. I never thought a restaurant could mess up fried seafood but I was wrong. The batter was not appealing and the oysters were dried up. The praline cheesecake had a stale taste and an odor; I unfortunately ordered it to go so I didn't get that unpleasant surprise until later. I would not recommend this place to anyone.

Columbus, Georgia
“Ennhhhh...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2010

We were trolling for a good seafood restaurant on River Street and were lured in here by the manager, a truly nice guy. The ambiance was nice, the waitstaff friendly and our table was nicely laid out.

The crab cake appetizer was superb. The best I've ever had, honestly. The table bread was also pretty good sourdough. The main meals....not so much. My wife had the grouper and it was very bland. I had the New York Strip. It was somewhere below average, until my wife had a bite from the other end and said it tasted rotten. I tasted that end and got a very slight taste of what she was talking about, but the rest of my steak didn't have the same problem. I'm not ready to say the steak was rotten, but I might call it "suspect".

The men's bathroom was small and tight, and the women's had a line of about 5 ladies waiting outside of it so I imagine it wasn't any better.

We don't spend this kind of money on restaurant's very often, and now I remember why. Next time we do we'll go to our tried and true spots.

• 4 of 5 bubbles