“Two visits on a Five day trip”

River House Seafood
Ranked #67 of 889 Restaurants in Savannah
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: Experience genuine Savannah flavor while dining in an 1820's King Cotton Warehouse watching the merchant ships float by. Enjoy local favorites such as crispy scored flounder, shrimp & grits, filet mignon and fresh lobster. Save room for our signature desserts including praline cheesecake, pecan pie and bananas foster.
Reviewed April 5, 2013

The food and service are great here. The shrimp and grits are the best I have ever had! Since I'm a Northerner for some of you I don't have credibility in this department. The crab cakes are also a solid choice. Lots of fresh crab with a light filler. They were perfectly crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. The best by far was the grilled Mahi Mahi! This was the best meal of the entire trip! From the pumpkin spice biscuits with sugar cane butter to the scallop appetizer! They serve award winning bread pudding and half price bottles of wine on Tuesdays. Ask for Aaron his service is great!

Reviewed April 2, 2013

Our meal was on the OK side. Hubby got the crab cake (OK) as an appetizer while son got the calamari (good). I got the grilled salmon salad and while the salmon was good, my hubby's fish was not the best. Not really a complaint, but I would expect more for a meal that cost $80+tip, I want to love the meal!

Reviewed March 31, 2013

The lobster and crab bisque was excellent! The iron skillet blackened Mahi was terrific, served on a bed of delicious parmesan fettucini. The decor is very warm and inviting, and the location right on River Street is very convenient. A memorable meal for both of us!

Reviewed March 30, 2013

I never review restaurants on Trip Advisor but this one was so bad I felt I had to!

I took my parents to this restaurant whilst staying in Savannah, based on the previous Trip advisor reviews and the overall look of the place. The place looks lovely from outside and appears to have a nice menu....this is where it ends. The food was salty, over seasoned, and was bulk food at its worst, there was nothing sophisticated about it. The fish was fresh, but the manner in which it was cooked, seasoned, and presented ruined it.

The server got three of our four main courses wrong and had to go back to the kitchen to get the correct ones remade. We had a diner with a cheese allergy on the table and they managed to serve cheese up to this individual twice. The Shrimp and Grits was not edible, it was over spiced, salty and arrived on a pile of mash. I cannot describe how unpleasant each of these courses were, for a place that appeared to promise so much it was disappointing. I usually do not eat along the river when I am in Savannah and I now remember why.

You are welcome to give this place a try however I would recommend booking the Pink Place instead their meals are lovely and will give you the authentic southern seafood experience.

Reviewed March 30, 2013

This place is awesome!!!! I've loved this place for as long as I've lived in Savannah. Their scallops are to die for! I never knew scallops could melt in your mouth until I ate here! The Chatham Artillery Punch is also amazing! It packs a real "punch" and you even get a souvenir glass! My husband and I had our first real date here so it seemed fitting to choose River House for our wedding night dinner. The event coordinator Linda was very accommodating and kind and was a joy to work with. No matter how many times we bugged her she was always professional and courteous and went out of her way to make our evening special. The night of our dinner everything was perfect! The food was amazing, the service and staff were excellent, the atmosphere was beautiful and they catered to our every need! By far the best seafood on River Street and always a pleasant experience. I highly recommend and am so grateful for all they did to make our wedding night special!!
PS- Try the shrimp and grits! They are wonderful!!! Oh and the cheesecake!! Everything is amazing!!