“bohemian dream”

Mansion on Forsyth Park, Autograph Collection
Ranked #25 of 114 Hotels in Savannah
Reviewed March 8, 2011

We randomly decided to try out Savannah on a romantic getaway evening and picked the hotel based on TI reviews and were not disappointed. On the way from the airport, our tax driver informed us that the "Mansion" is actually one of the most "haunted" hotels in Savannah, which says a lot for Savannah. Apparently it was an old mortuary and the elevators make you feel that way. The hotel is really one of the coolest I've been to with its design, art, restaurant and bar(s). The room was very decadent and tasteful and had a big bath in the room (careful if the floor gets wet though it could lead to a nasty slip). The Mansion is also in an insanely good location directly outside Forsyth park where you can go take easy picture of the famous fountain. Overall an amazing stay and will 100% go back for our next trip to Savannah, whether next year or 10 years from now. Kimpton hotels have not failed us yet.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
lindsaygartrell, Guest Relations Manager at Mansion on Forsyth Park, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2011

Thank you so much for your kind words regarding your visit to The Mansion on Forsyth Park. We appreciate the time you’ve taken to post a review and value our guests’ opinions. We are pleased that your visit was enjoyable and look forward to seeing you again when your travels lead you to Savannah.

Kindest regards,
Lindsay Gartrell
Guest Experiences Specialist

Reviewed March 6, 2011

Traveling for a mother/daughter get-away, this hotel fit the bill. The room was spacious with two queen beds and well-decorted. The spa was great, the cooking class was excellent, and we even managed to spend money in the upscale gift shop.

The staff was very helpful and certainly aimed to please. The free taxi service was amazing. We used it at night, as we walked everywhere during the day. Across the street from the hotel was the park cafe where we'd buy Starbucks coffee each morning.

The only complaint was the lack of small amenities in the bathroom. There was next to none. I couldn't believe that for a hotel of this caliber, they didn't even have shower caps. When I called to report that I needed one, they sent one up from the spa quickly.

Aside from that, we enjoyed the ambience and location of this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2011

We appreciate the review of your visit to The Mansion on Forsyth Park and pleased that you enjoyed your special mother/daughter get-away. It thrills us that we can provide an enjoyable stay and offer a variety of activities. Please note that your concern regarding the lack of small amenities will be shared with the appropriate departments as our customer satisfaction is extremely important. We hope that you’ll choose The Mansion on Forsyth Park when you are again in Savannah.

Kindest regards,
Lindsay Gartrell
Guest Experiences Specialist

Reviewed March 4, 2011

I have to admit to being slightly disappointed in the Mansion on Forsyth Park, though make no mistakes it is a nice place.
The exterior is lovely and it borders a beautiful park. It's also not too far from Mrs. Wilkes, the one truly unmissable (lunchtime) restaurant if you go to Savannah.
I didn't even mind the location. I think for an older or disabled person, it probably is a bit too far from the "main" part of Savannah. But for anyone else, the best part of Savannah is strolling through the plazas and so a 15 minute walk to and from the area each day is hardly a problem.
It was the rooms that kind of disappointed to me. I love boutique hotels, and have stayed at many around the world, but here I found them more kitschy than trendy. There was also something slightly cold about the interiors- design without comfort. That said, this is the deep South not Miami, so in a way the tacky, slightly trying too hard to be cool thing, sort of fit notions I had of the South-- as if Blanche DuBois had designed it. I honestly think my mom or aunt would love the place, but this New Yorker just didn't go gaga for it. I give it points for personality though.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank stintino55
Reviewed February 26, 2011

Wow...what a treat. We made a great decision to stay here vs the Bohemian Hotel on the River. The art decor very pleasing and the delightful staff were very accommodating for my special occasion (babymoon). We were upgraded to the concierge level overlooking the park. Although we had a little noise issue within the AC panel, they immediately switched us to another room the next morning. We got moved to room 205 overlooking the beautiful park across the street. This was a fantastic room and would specifically request this corner room. If you have kids, the park is awesome with every walks of life out there, many dogs around, kids playing kickball, and we watched a rugby football game. Fun, easy walk to the river (about a mile but great scenery that you would need to see by foot anyway).
We also had a great lunch at the attached mansion restaurant. It was surprisingly unbelievable and one of the coolest mansions to walk around in. My wife did the spa treatment and was very pleased.

The shuttle takes you anywhere downtown so very convenient.

Again, I highly recommend this place. Glad its part of the Marriott family. I will post some pics as well that were not part of the stock photos

1  Thank JollyGoodFellas
Reviewed February 25, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Mansion for two nights. This was our first time to Savannah and we were extremely impressed! The weather was gorgeous and just what we needed since we were coming from the frigid North. I took a chance booking this hotel(not knowing a thing about it) because we appeared to have gotten a decent detail for the style of this hotel. It was most likely due to it being there slower season. That was fine for us. We were looking for a relaxing getaway for a "babymoon." I later saw this hotel listed in a traveler magazine and it was rated as 1 out fo 500 top hotels.

Savannah is gorgeous and quaint and very romantic ,as we had heard. The room was a decent size and the bathroom was probably the best we had ever stayed in. Many others mentioned this as a positive in their review also. The tub also looked very clean which can be rare in a hotel. The bedding was luxiorous and soooo comfortable! I only wished I could take it home. It was quiet in the hallways in the morning, allowing for a great nights sleep. I called ahead to make sure we could get a king bed instead of a queen and they accomodated us without question.

The staff was very friendly, always helpful and the free shuttle service was a bonus. There was almost always someone waiting to open a door for you. The decor was very artsy and colorful ,which clearly makes this hotel unique. The lounge/bar area was also aesthetically pleasing. We didnt try the restaurant(700 Drayton) due to our short stay but from the outside it looked beautiful. If I were to go back I would make an effort to try it.

I have learned through experience that Trip Advisor is a wonderful resource but to also to not believe all of the negative reviews. If I had taken some of the reviews seriously, we would of missed out on an unforgettable trip. Our room did not smell at all and I would always recommend locking valuables in a safe if there was one available. Also, a few reviewers mentioned that they wouldn't walk around at night. We did, and infact we found it safe and peaceful. This could also be because we are from a bustling city and everything here seemed so tranquil. Also there are signs that you cannot panhandle which is great. In three days we only had 1 person on the street ask us for money and it was in broad daylight and he was really polite when we declined to give him anything.
I would love to come back to Savannah and I would definately stay here again!

Reviewed February 25, 2011

I have nothing awful to say about this property; rather, given the hotel's reputation and price range, the hotel simply is not what it should be. As a result, I recommend staying elsewhere. The Bohemian, The Mansion's sister hotel located right on the River, would be a much butter option, as would many of the numerous, beautiful Inns found in Savannah. Here are a few details:

The Good: The rooms are really very nice. The beds are very comfortable, the basic rooms are extremely large, and the decor is funky yet sophisticated. My husband LOVED the gigantic tub in the middle of the room, and as many others have suggested, enjoyed watching TV while soaking in the tub. The hotel itself is a nice property as well, with great artwork, cool elevator designs, etc.

My Issues:
1) The service. Not awful, but not as warm and hospitable as we had heard. We arrived just after midnight on Friday night (technically early Saturday morning). I had called earlier to say that we would be arriving late. When we arrived, there was no one there to valet our car, no one there to help us with our luggage, and the guy at the front desk was bored and boring. Everyone had commented about the great service, but this guy was clearly unhappy to be working the night shift.
2) Front desk staff: Most of them were SCAD students, and certainly nice enough, but they knew nothing about the restaurants/events/attractions that would be appropriate for the clientele. When I asked if there was a restaurant we shouldn't miss--not necessarily fancy, but tasty and local and wonderful, the front desk kept referring us to Cha Bella. I'm sure Cha Bella is lovely, but wasn't the local/Southern feel we wanted. When I said this to them, they said "Well, that's what our management told us to tell people. I don't really know where else to recommend."
3) Concierge: So if the front desk staff can't recommend restaurants, what about the Concierge? There wasn't one. Ever. There was a concierge desk. But never during our 3-day stay over the holiday weekend did we ever see someone sitting there. Ever. We wanted someone to give us guidance on which ghost tour to take, and no one was ever available to give us any guidance.
4) Location. This is nothing new; every review tells you that this property is far from "downtown"/River area. It is about a 25 minute walk to EVERYTHING. Besides the beautiful park across the street, there is nothing nearby. We're NY'ers, so we are used to walking, but my mother with a bad ankle would have had a lot problems. The hotel claims that they "solve" this by providing a free shuttle service anywhere you want to go. What they don't tell you is that a) the service stops around 10pm. b) the shuttle often needs to be booked in advance around dinnertime, and c) it is often full during popular times such as morning and evening. So twice we had to wait 30 minutes for the next shuttle, which meant it would have been faster to walk. I will say that the young man driving the shuttle was really really wonderful, though.
5) The bar. Given the remote location, the swanky hotel decor, and the fact that the shuttle stops at 10pm, one would think that the bar would stay open so that hotel guests would have a convenient option to relax and have a drink. However, the bar closed by 11pm every night during the 3-day weekend. When we arrived just after midnight Friday night, we wanted to have a glass of wine before bed. Since the bar was closed, the unhappy front desk guy told us to walk to this "cute little bar" right up the street. It was terrible; everyone was wasted, screaming, and smoking in the bar. On Sunday night, we came back to the hotel after dinner around 10pm, and were told we could only have beer or wine as they were closing.
6) Privacy of the rooms: This was NOT an issue for us by any means, but it might be an issue for you: Before booking this hotel, know that there are no walls separating the bathroom from the bedroom. There are curtains that can be opened and closed, but no walls. Which means that if the curtains are open, you can see someone on the toilet or in the shower, and even if the curtains are closed, you can hear people on the toilet or in the shower. If you are taking a new beau here in hopes of impressing him/her, it is a swanky place, but avoid this hotel if you need/want privacy in the bathroom.
7) No opportunity for feedback. While I enjoyed the rooms, there were two pieces of feedback I wanted to share with the hotel. First, there is no place near the shower to hang a towel. So, a hook on the wall nearby would be nice. Also, with such glorious bathtubs, they should provide bubble bath or bath salts. Truly an inexpensive thing they could provide that would enrich the experience greatly. However, when I asked the front desk for a feedback card upon checkout, they said the only way to provide feedback would be in response to the thank you email the hotel would send me. However, we checked out 5 days ago, and I have not received any email from the hotel. Not that my feedback is crucial; I'm just surprised at the lack of opportunity to provide feedback.
8) Come on, Marriott. Time to join the 21st Century and provide free WiFi to all your guests. It is obnoxious to charge $12/day for WiFi these days.

Again, this hotel isn't terrible. We did enjoy our stay. It just is not what it should be for the price and the poor location. Had we known all of the above, especially the shuttle limitations, we absolutely would have stayed elsewhere.

4  Thank moving_right_along
Reviewed February 24, 2011

The Mansion on Forsyth Park is a AAA Four-Diamond, luxury boutique hotel of 126 rooms. This was my destination for two things on my bucket list.
Savannah is known for the foodies it attracts and the chefs that call it home. I was about to take a cooking class with Chef Darin Sehnert at 700 Kitchen Cooking School. A former chef instructor at the Disney Institute, Sehnert took a group of a dozen+ students and first explained the whys and wherefores of Low Country Cuisine, its main food groups and spices. His explanations were captivating and luckily, a full booklet of notes were given out so we didn't need to try to take dictation. He next got everyone into the act of slicing, dicing, stirring and cooking a full blown Southern meal.
Excuse me if I brag, but it was the best lunch I've ever prepared with 12 of my closest (new) friends. From the mouthwatering cheddar and chive biscuits, to the shrimp in red eye gravy (my responsibility) to fried green tomatoes to the penultimate dessert - pecan praline angel food cake - it was out of this world. My only regret…I had to gulp my homemade pineapple mint tea so as not to miss my spa appointment.
After being around as long as I have, getting an upscale massage is something that you just figure is not going to happen. But being on a dream getaway, that's exactly what you are supposed to do - try something new, experience something you've never done before.
As I walked into the Poseidon Spa, I was met by Courtney Small, the spa director. Explaining their ten different type massage traditions, we settled on the Swedish massage. I entered one of their many treatment rooms and was instantly at home with the soft lighting, tasteful décor, and body-temperature massage table blanket-like covers. I could have instantly fallen asleep in this type environment if it hadn't been for the wonderfully talented masseuse who relaxed and rejuvenated this newfound devotee of the massage.
Upstairs, in the hotel, I discovered a gallery showing of Stefano Cecchini's artwork in the Bosendorfer Lounge. With cocktails and an opportunity to talk with Cecchini himself, it was a great way to bide the time before dinner. He paints luxury cars and large-scale wildlife with the detail that makes you wonder if you are looking at a photograph. Exquisite trompe l'oeil effects on wood are deftly created with oil and tempura. Stunning.
Having such a great experience in the Cooking School, I reasoned that I really needed to stay for dinner at the 700 Drayton Restaurant and see what the pros could do without my help. Somehow they managed to do quite well, and I really enjoyed their four course dinner with four wine pairings. For the entrée, they served Tybee Island seared shrimp, with Georgia camembert grits, wild mushrooms and pea tendrils. A Casa Defra 2000 Pinot Grigio was the perfect compliment.
Would I visit again? In a heartbeat.

• Stayed: March 2010