“The Perfect Relaxing Getaway!”

Mansion on Forsyth Park, Autograph Collection
Ranked #25 of 114 Hotels in Savannah
Reviewed February 25, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Mansion for two nights. This was our first time to Savannah and we were extremely impressed! The weather was gorgeous and just what we needed since we were coming from the frigid North. I took a chance booking this hotel(not knowing a thing about it) because we appeared to have gotten a decent detail for the style of this hotel. It was most likely due to it being there slower season. That was fine for us. We were looking for a relaxing getaway for a "babymoon." I later saw this hotel listed in a traveler magazine and it was rated as 1 out fo 500 top hotels.

Savannah is gorgeous and quaint and very romantic ,as we had heard. The room was a decent size and the bathroom was probably the best we had ever stayed in. Many others mentioned this as a positive in their review also. The tub also looked very clean which can be rare in a hotel. The bedding was luxiorous and soooo comfortable! I only wished I could take it home. It was quiet in the hallways in the morning, allowing for a great nights sleep. I called ahead to make sure we could get a king bed instead of a queen and they accomodated us without question.

The staff was very friendly, always helpful and the free shuttle service was a bonus. There was almost always someone waiting to open a door for you. The decor was very artsy and colorful ,which clearly makes this hotel unique. The lounge/bar area was also aesthetically pleasing. We didnt try the restaurant(700 Drayton) due to our short stay but from the outside it looked beautiful. If I were to go back I would make an effort to try it.

I have learned through experience that Trip Advisor is a wonderful resource but to also to not believe all of the negative reviews. If I had taken some of the reviews seriously, we would of missed out on an unforgettable trip. Our room did not smell at all and I would always recommend locking valuables in a safe if there was one available. Also, a few reviewers mentioned that they wouldn't walk around at night. We did, and infact we found it safe and peaceful. This could also be because we are from a bustling city and everything here seemed so tranquil. Also there are signs that you cannot panhandle which is great. In three days we only had 1 person on the street ask us for money and it was in broad daylight and he was really polite when we declined to give him anything.
I would love to come back to Savannah and I would definately stay here again!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 25, 2011

I have nothing awful to say about this property; rather, given the hotel's reputation and price range, the hotel simply is not what it should be. As a result, I recommend staying elsewhere. The Bohemian, The Mansion's sister hotel located right on the River, would be a much butter option, as would many of the numerous, beautiful Inns found in Savannah. Here are a few details:

The Good: The rooms are really very nice. The beds are very comfortable, the basic rooms are extremely large, and the decor is funky yet sophisticated. My husband LOVED the gigantic tub in the middle of the room, and as many others have suggested, enjoyed watching TV while soaking in the tub. The hotel itself is a nice property as well, with great artwork, cool elevator designs, etc.

My Issues:
1) The service. Not awful, but not as warm and hospitable as we had heard. We arrived just after midnight on Friday night (technically early Saturday morning). I had called earlier to say that we would be arriving late. When we arrived, there was no one there to valet our car, no one there to help us with our luggage, and the guy at the front desk was bored and boring. Everyone had commented about the great service, but this guy was clearly unhappy to be working the night shift.
2) Front desk staff: Most of them were SCAD students, and certainly nice enough, but they knew nothing about the restaurants/events/attractions that would be appropriate for the clientele. When I asked if there was a restaurant we shouldn't miss--not necessarily fancy, but tasty and local and wonderful, the front desk kept referring us to Cha Bella. I'm sure Cha Bella is lovely, but wasn't the local/Southern feel we wanted. When I said this to them, they said "Well, that's what our management told us to tell people. I don't really know where else to recommend."
3) Concierge: So if the front desk staff can't recommend restaurants, what about the Concierge? There wasn't one. Ever. There was a concierge desk. But never during our 3-day stay over the holiday weekend did we ever see someone sitting there. Ever. We wanted someone to give us guidance on which ghost tour to take, and no one was ever available to give us any guidance.
4) Location. This is nothing new; every review tells you that this property is far from "downtown"/River area. It is about a 25 minute walk to EVERYTHING. Besides the beautiful park across the street, there is nothing nearby. We're NY'ers, so we are used to walking, but my mother with a bad ankle would have had a lot problems. The hotel claims that they "solve" this by providing a free shuttle service anywhere you want to go. What they don't tell you is that a) the service stops around 10pm. b) the shuttle often needs to be booked in advance around dinnertime, and c) it is often full during popular times such as morning and evening. So twice we had to wait 30 minutes for the next shuttle, which meant it would have been faster to walk. I will say that the young man driving the shuttle was really really wonderful, though.
5) The bar. Given the remote location, the swanky hotel decor, and the fact that the shuttle stops at 10pm, one would think that the bar would stay open so that hotel guests would have a convenient option to relax and have a drink. However, the bar closed by 11pm every night during the 3-day weekend. When we arrived just after midnight Friday night, we wanted to have a glass of wine before bed. Since the bar was closed, the unhappy front desk guy told us to walk to this "cute little bar" right up the street. It was terrible; everyone was wasted, screaming, and smoking in the bar. On Sunday night, we came back to the hotel after dinner around 10pm, and were told we could only have beer or wine as they were closing.
6) Privacy of the rooms: This was NOT an issue for us by any means, but it might be an issue for you: Before booking this hotel, know that there are no walls separating the bathroom from the bedroom. There are curtains that can be opened and closed, but no walls. Which means that if the curtains are open, you can see someone on the toilet or in the shower, and even if the curtains are closed, you can hear people on the toilet or in the shower. If you are taking a new beau here in hopes of impressing him/her, it is a swanky place, but avoid this hotel if you need/want privacy in the bathroom.
7) No opportunity for feedback. While I enjoyed the rooms, there were two pieces of feedback I wanted to share with the hotel. First, there is no place near the shower to hang a towel. So, a hook on the wall nearby would be nice. Also, with such glorious bathtubs, they should provide bubble bath or bath salts. Truly an inexpensive thing they could provide that would enrich the experience greatly. However, when I asked the front desk for a feedback card upon checkout, they said the only way to provide feedback would be in response to the thank you email the hotel would send me. However, we checked out 5 days ago, and I have not received any email from the hotel. Not that my feedback is crucial; I'm just surprised at the lack of opportunity to provide feedback.
8) Come on, Marriott. Time to join the 21st Century and provide free WiFi to all your guests. It is obnoxious to charge $12/day for WiFi these days.

Again, this hotel isn't terrible. We did enjoy our stay. It just is not what it should be for the price and the poor location. Had we known all of the above, especially the shuttle limitations, we absolutely would have stayed elsewhere.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank moving_right_along
Reviewed February 24, 2011

The Mansion on Forsyth Park is a AAA Four-Diamond, luxury boutique hotel of 126 rooms. This was my destination for two things on my bucket list.
Savannah is known for the foodies it attracts and the chefs that call it home. I was about to take a cooking class with Chef Darin Sehnert at 700 Kitchen Cooking School. A former chef instructor at the Disney Institute, Sehnert took a group of a dozen+ students and first explained the whys and wherefores of Low Country Cuisine, its main food groups and spices. His explanations were captivating and luckily, a full booklet of notes were given out so we didn't need to try to take dictation. He next got everyone into the act of slicing, dicing, stirring and cooking a full blown Southern meal.
Excuse me if I brag, but it was the best lunch I've ever prepared with 12 of my closest (new) friends. From the mouthwatering cheddar and chive biscuits, to the shrimp in red eye gravy (my responsibility) to fried green tomatoes to the penultimate dessert - pecan praline angel food cake - it was out of this world. My only regret…I had to gulp my homemade pineapple mint tea so as not to miss my spa appointment.
After being around as long as I have, getting an upscale massage is something that you just figure is not going to happen. But being on a dream getaway, that's exactly what you are supposed to do - try something new, experience something you've never done before.
As I walked into the Poseidon Spa, I was met by Courtney Small, the spa director. Explaining their ten different type massage traditions, we settled on the Swedish massage. I entered one of their many treatment rooms and was instantly at home with the soft lighting, tasteful décor, and body-temperature massage table blanket-like covers. I could have instantly fallen asleep in this type environment if it hadn't been for the wonderfully talented masseuse who relaxed and rejuvenated this newfound devotee of the massage.
Upstairs, in the hotel, I discovered a gallery showing of Stefano Cecchini's artwork in the Bosendorfer Lounge. With cocktails and an opportunity to talk with Cecchini himself, it was a great way to bide the time before dinner. He paints luxury cars and large-scale wildlife with the detail that makes you wonder if you are looking at a photograph. Exquisite trompe l'oeil effects on wood are deftly created with oil and tempura. Stunning.
Having such a great experience in the Cooking School, I reasoned that I really needed to stay for dinner at the 700 Drayton Restaurant and see what the pros could do without my help. Somehow they managed to do quite well, and I really enjoyed their four course dinner with four wine pairings. For the entrée, they served Tybee Island seared shrimp, with Georgia camembert grits, wild mushrooms and pea tendrils. A Casa Defra 2000 Pinot Grigio was the perfect compliment.
Would I visit again? In a heartbeat.

• Stayed: March 2010
1  Thank TravelWriterDB
Reviewed February 23, 2011

WOW! Never thought we'd be able to travel with our dog and stay in such a fabulous place! The price was unbelievable for a hotel of this quality. Huge plush room, incredible bathroom - design, decor - top notch all the way. We ordered room service for dinner and had a really 5 star meal. Blueberry BBQ Chicken!!! My new favorite! Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 17, 2011

We really loved this hotel... Great location. Parking wasn't the best and is costly to park at the hotel. Being right beside Forsyth Park, beautiful during the day...we were a little nervous at night. We found ourselves being watched...so we knew when it was time to pack it in... The hotel really satisfied my artistic desires! :) The room needed a little airing out, but overall beautiful place to stay. The beds are fantastic! Loved that there was a Bose system in the room.

The Spa was absolutely wonderful! They really went above and beyond to provide great service! The only thing I'd say is that I don't like having gratuities added to the treatment price...I believe providers should earn this....thankfully we were very please with all of our treatments!

We hope to visit again :)

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 15, 2011

This is a beautiful and unique inn, however my wonderful stay was ruined by the theft of my irreplacable jewelry that I mistakenly left on the bathroom vanity. There is a safe in the room, so be sure you use it or don't bring anything too valuable on your stay! Unfortunately these things only seem to happy at the nicest of hotels.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank formerphap
Reviewed February 5, 2011

We booked through Hotels.com and got a very good deal. It was also "off season" and midweek, so that was a big help to keep the cost down. However, we would have been happy even if we paid more. We were thrilled with the entire Mansion, including 700 Drayton. The rooms are very uniquely decorated. The bedding was so lush, we chose to stay in one night just to relax and enjoy the comfort. There is a Bose system, playing ambient music when you arrive, and we even chose to buy the CD before leaving.

The staff was very friendly and promptly responded to our request for assistance with the coffee maker. (Operator error, not the equipment!) There's valet parking, shuttle, an art gallery, pool, piano bar (very quiet) and awesome restaurant (700) all on site.

Note: The Mansion is not in the "middle" of the nightlife of Savannah. We were looking to be away from the crowd, so we were thrilled with the location. You can't walk to the River or "downtown" area at night. We did walk to and from the historic district during the day. We did not need our car once parked in valet.

Would definately recommend and would probably choose to stay there if we return to Savannah.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple