“Not for everyone”

Ranked #26 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
New York, NY
“Not for everyone”
Reviewed April 28, 2007

My husband and I stayed here recently in connection with a business conference. This is clearly a place that you will either really like-- or find really grating. We fell into the latter category.

Starting with the rooms. Our room was dark. Very dark. The walls were brown, and the furniture and drapes were an olive green velour. To me, it felt like the inside of a coffin. To add to the problem, the lighting in the room was very poor. The hotel decorators must have envisioned the whole thing as lending an aura of Southern Gothic charm and whimsy, but to me, it was just gloomy, tacky and weird. There wasn't enough light in the room to read comfortably. The king size bed only had one night table and lamp, so if both people want to read in bed, it's impossible. Plus, since our room was on the first floor in a busy neighborhood, we couldn't open the curtains all the way to let the light in without feeling totally exposed. Atmosphere in the common areas of the hotel was really sterile.

Getting to service, they tried hard, but the service was inept. Housekeeping took forever, and the room never felt totally clean when we returned at the end of the day. The wastebasket in the room was not emptied once during our entire 3-night stay. When we checked out, our bill was totally botched. Staff did have a pleasant attitude, though.

All in all, this is not a luxury hotel in the sense that one would expect. When we travel, we will generally stay in upscale boutique hotels rather than the chains. We like hotels that are a little "different" and that provide a level of personal service. But the Mansion on Forsyth park fell short in most respects, and felt a bit "off." If I were paying my own money rather than staying for business, I would have checked out the first night. In talking to other guests there, people were really divided about the place-- this hotel, more than most, really is a matter of personal taste.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
9 Thank SASNY

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (389)
  • Arabic first
CT
Reviewed April 22, 2007

Mansion of Forsyth Park is difficult to describe. It is not what we expected in historic Savannah. The plus were the beds were comfortable(very important), the bath spacious. Everyone has different taste and for us, this was not terribly attractive. The paintings of naked women and modern crazy colors was strange to say the least. The location near some less than desirable areas of the city (the probabtion office) is not great. The exterior of the property is very pretty and attractive. The only service personnel we encounterred was the man at the desk at a late 12:30PM check in, who was less than friendly and totally indifferent. Several late night partiers were in the lobby as well. The staff of bellmen and valet parkers were great. They were friendly and very efficient. This is our personal opinion, but I would choose something more "historic" and suited to this pretty city.

• Liked — Bed comfort
  • Disliked — navigating the strange hallways
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
5 Thank Siteseekers
East Coaster
Reviewed April 18, 2007

This hotel was originally a mansion built in the 1800's and is in a very convenient part of the historical district. The room was small but well appointed. The overall decoration of the rooms, halls and public rooms is very modern and atrocious. Whoever painted the paintings should take up another career and quickly! However, the beds were divinely comfortable, and the service was quite good. They have a good valet service for your car.

The restaurant -"the 700" - is also a strangely decorated place, but the food and service were very good.

• Liked — Comfort of the room and the beds
  • Disliked — decoration
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dennburr
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed April 9, 2007

I was lucky enough to stay recently at the Mansion for 6 nights for a work trip and I enjoyed every precious minute of it. The first thing you notice though is that you are in the South and things go just a little slower paced than in other parts of the USA I've visited. This is not inefficiency, just seems to be part of Southern charm and you tune into it quickly and learn to enjoy it.

My standard room was exquisite. Beautiful bathroom with separate shower, luxurious fittings and a tub fit for Cleopatra.

I didn't eat in the hotel other than breakfasts which were scrummy. Gorgeous fruit and pancakes to die for.

Great free wireless internet in the rooms. On an entirely different subject I also visited the Spa which is exceptional.

I travel a good deal and I'm not normally this effusive but I couldn't fault the Mansion

• Liked — The room and the Spa, very helpful staff
  • Disliked — it wasn't made clear that the water set out in room wasn't complementary.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank DubAbroad
Orlando, FL
Reviewed April 2, 2007

My fiancee took me here for my birthday as we live near another Kessler property in Orlando and love the decor and ambiance. We have stayed at many 5 star hotels including the Ritz and Four Seasons and I agree the Mansion is different. But that is because it is not a "stuffy, reserved" 5 star hotel...it is meant to have a chic urban feel. If you are looking for a little more old school "Waldorf" type of location, this may not be for you. However, the service is outstanding and all the staff were very pleasent and helpful...opening doors, arranging valet service, making suggestions and reservations and always looking out for ways to help guests as they come in and out. The rooms are beautiful..most comfortable beds ever! The tub was a huge garden tub that you could really relax in after a day of walking around (fills up fast and lots of hot water but bring your own bubble bath!). The decor is like an urban loft type of feel and is very open. Everything we ordered from room service was excellent and once again the staff was great. There is a bar upstairs at 700 Drayton which had live music and was a nice place to have a few drinks before turning in for the night. The only negatives were that the house keeping was a little slow on getting our rooms cleaned during our visit and the food is rather expensive but not necessarily over-priced for what you get. Highly recommend for any hip young travelers or anyone who likes something a little different and modern.

• Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TravelgirlOrlando
Haymarket, Virginia
Reviewed March 29, 2007

My wife and I spent the President’s Day holiday at the Mansion. I wanted a little time to think about how I reviewed this hotel because it was a very uneven experience at the Mansion and I can’t help but feel it should have been so much better.

Building/Room
First off the building is very interesting. The original building is where the restaurant (700 Drayton) is located. This has been added on recently and they have done a very nice job creating a uniform feel to it. The red brick spires are visually arresting. Once you get inside, you will notice the funky decor (lots of paintings) and the piped in music. Some might find this visual stimulation a little too garish, but I liked it. I thought the black and white photographs of the fountain in Forsyth Park on the ceiling of the elevator were an inspired choice. I liked the combination of the conservative exterior with the novel interior. The location on the Park is fantastic and would only have been better if more flowers had been in bloom and if the run-down Forsyth Fort wasn’t directly in front of the hotel. The fort really did reduce the appeal of the area. Apparently there are plans to revamp this – Kessler (the hotel owner) is planning on building a café in the old Fort – but none of the employees could say when this was going to get underway.

The room we had was a nice room (Bohemian) – the bed was large and very soft with an ornate headboard. The chair in the seating area was very narrow and tall making it almost unusable as a chair. It was pretty though. There is enough hanging storage if you plan to bring several outfits to go out on the town. The Bose stereo was a nice addition to the room and the Kessler CD with a jazzy set of songs was great to listen to while getting dressed.

The bathroom while attractive was not particularly functional. The elevated tub is located on the side of the room nearest to the bed. The tub area is separated from the rest of the room by a half wall and two doors above that half wall that swing toward the tub. While this does open up the bathroom to the bedroom area and allow TV viewing from the tub, it doesn’t seal off the noises or light from the bathroom very well. I woke my wife up the first day we were there while I was taking a shower. The shower area was the biggest problem in the bathroom. The floor of the bathroom and adjoining water closet is marble tile. (This includes the floor pan in the shower as well) The doors in the bath – to the shower and to the water closet are made of glass. The doors do not seal well and as documented in previous reviews causes a great deal of standing water in the bathroom. I will be the first to admit I take long showers (10 – 15 minutes) – but I shouldn’t have to use every towel/bath mat/wash cloth in the room to sop up all of the standing water. This is a poor design and should be reconsidered.

Services
The room had a pair of robes and a single pair of slippers. We requested an additional pair and never received them after multiple requests. This is probably for the better as the robe was not particularly soft and I didn’t use it more than once.

The maid service was just not up to par, I’m sad to say. When I had to use all of the laundry after my first shower, I was surprised that only two towels had been replaced. No bathmat, no wash cloths, nothing. I had to request additional items to be delivered to the room and after two requests I finally received two wash cloths. (I asked for a bath mat, two more towels and wash cloths) By the last day we were there we finally had a new bath mat and a full complement of bathroom linens. The turndown service was just strange. There didn’t seem to be any set time when they would show up – one time it was 5 PM and the next it was 8 PM. We never had the bed turned down while we were there because we were usually in the room changing for dinner. The staff did do a nice job of cleaning the room while we were out during the day – as long as you clearly indicate what is to be taken away.

While we were there we had a massage in the Poseidon Spa – The spa area is nice. It is in the basement so there are no windows. This is great to get you into the mood for relaxation. The robes they have in the changing area are not made for tall people. The robe barely fit me – it was short and tight. The massage I received was good but not great. I thought the price was a little high.

Probably the best service we received was through the concierge desk. We asked for recommendations for dinner and lunch. We had them book the reservations for us and arrange for the hotel car to take us to/from the restaurants. While the reservations we skewed toward restaurants that could be booked through the Open Table website, I didn’t feel that they steered us toward bad choices. The only instance of questionable service from the concierge desk was when I asked them to set up a cab to take us to the airport. They got the time wrong on the pickup (5 AM instead of 5:30 AM) and we would have been without a cab if we had not been down stairs by 5:15. Easily the best part of the services at the Mansion was the use of the hotel car – we used it almost every day we were there.

There are ample goodies in the mini-bar (candy, chips, soda, and of course, alcohol of every variety) which is good because there really isn’t a place to get these items close to the hotel. (There is a natural food grocery at the south end of Forsyth Park that is within walking distance but if you want junk food you will go wanting.) There is a convenience store and sub shop on Abercorn and Park Lane. (About 5 blocks away) The sub store (Subs & More) was better than most – it was your “hole-in-the-wall” sort of place – but it was quick and good.

We had room service while we stayed at the Mansion – we wanted something small as we had finished off a couple of big subs from Subs & More a few hours before. The menu was ok but a little disappointing. I’m not opposed to froufrou food, but an in-room menu should have more than one or two options if that is not your preference. The food was costly even for room service and it was not exactly warm by the time it got to us. I can forgive the room-temperature food because the Mansion was hosting a wedding that evening and that should get the most attention.

Overall
Style over functionality does not make a four star hotel. The bones are there to create one of the best establishments in Savannah, but there are many drawbacks that must be overcome to get to that point. I would return but I believe I would wait for at least another year before doing so – and hope the management takes action to correct the problems there. (And of course, I would see what trip advisor’s members have to say)

• Liked — the use of the hotel car
  • Disliked — the leaky shower
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
11 Thank Haymarket_Sooner
Jacksonvile, Fl
Reviewed March 25, 2007

The Mansion is better than average but if you don't like velvet and fake Picasso-esque art, it may not be the place for you. The rooms are large, comfortable and clean but it is not historic or quaint, if you're looking for that, look elsewhere.

Positives: Food at 700 Drayton was excellent (yes, it's pricey). All staff was attentive and helpful. Room service was prompt and accurate. Cashmir's Lounge was fun and funky. Very clean room, bed was comfortable (pillows too soft for me).

Negatives: I wouldn't rate this place 5 star because of little details like the room phone had no information on it so we had no idea how to contact the front desk, room service, etc. we just guessed to push 0 and got somebody, there were several burnt out light bulbs in our room and the toilet paper holders weren't fastened properly to the walls and kept almost falling off. None of these things are a big deal but they do consider themselves the "best of the best" (and charge accordingly) so I'm just saying... Also, the hotel location is close to the seedier side of town and a little far away from the main historic locations but definitely within walking distance if you don't mind walking.

I would stay here again but would never pay rack rate (not worth that kind of money) and I would not pay extra for the "view of the park". When we were there a big fence covered the park and we couldn't see it anyway because of a tree directly in front of our window. View really wasn't that great, though I suppose better than staring at the side of the building. We got the best rate by just calling the hotel directly (better rate than any travel/hotel site and the hotel's own website).

• Liked — Clean, large room with nice amenities
  • Disliked — Pricey
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple