“Great Cooking Class”

Ranked #25 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
St. Petersburg, Florida
“Great Cooking Class”
Reviewed May 18, 2010

I was with a group of ladies that went to attend the cooking classes held by Chef Darin Sehnert. We learned a lot, had so much fun and the food was out of this world. I can't say enough good things about this adventure - I look forward to going back again.

The rooms were very nice. The bar near the lobby was closed. Too bad because we would have spent a lot of time socializing there - didn't care for the upstairs bar at all.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (376)
  • Arabic first
Fairfax Station, Virginia
Reviewed May 12, 2010

I had not heard of this hotel before, but actually stumbled across it on the internet. This is a very nice hotel, classy, historic, luxury at its finest.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed May 5, 2010

There is much to be said for this hotel: it has a great location on the lovely Forsyth Park, it is well-appointed, the outdoor pool is lovely, and it is one of a growing number of pet friendly hotels (pet deposit required). On check-in, pet owners will be provided a list of pet-friendly restaurants and venues in Savannah. There are a number if options on room sizes and configurations and plenty of suites. Just be sure you don't have a room that us anywhere close to the restaurant-nightclub that us part if the hotel. From midafternoon until as late as guests permit they play a constantly reverberating tecno music which causes your walls to vibrate. The club was empty both nights we stayed at the hotel, the music was nevertheless unrelenting. At 3 a.m. on our second night we had to call the front desk about music coming from the pool area. They immediately turned it off. We thought the bass-heavy tecno music Fron the club and the late night pool music demonstrated an insensitivity to the comfort of the hotel's guests. Otherwise, we would heartily recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2010
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed May 3, 2010

The good: beautiful hotel, including wonderful art everywhere you look. Decent location (nice to have Forsyth Park across the street). Excellent restaurant.

The bad: as other reviewers have noted, this is an expensive place to stay ($5 Evian bottles in the room don't help). I don't have a problem paying when the setting and service are spectacular, but here, the service isn't that at all. Problems included: the concierge messed up my Ghost Tour reservation, causing me to nearly miss the tour--I heard her give the tour folks an incorrect cell phone number for me, told her it was the wrong number, and she said she would call them back to correct it, but never did. We emailed ahead requesting to attend a cooking class at the restaurant, and I'm still waiting for a return email, with my stay already over. The bartender in the lounge above the restaurant was rude. He let us sit at a table without telling us that service is only available at the bar, left me standing waiting to place an order while he counted the cash in his drawer for several minutes, gave me the dribs/drabs at the end of a long-ago opened bottle of wine and never brought the water I requested. I'm not a high maintenance hotel goer and these little missed opportunities convinced me not to return to the Mansion, no matter how beautiful it is.

• Stayed April 2010
Salamanca, New York
Reviewed April 28, 2010

We spent the weekend here for our son's wedding. Pros: Very impressive from the outside. Valet, attendants, desk staff, and housekeeping very accomodating. Rooms and decor very elegant. Food excellent (all is provided by the 700 Drayton Restaurant). Great location. Numerous things to do and see within walking distance.

Cons: Over priced (everything from room rate to drinks at the bar), numerous hidden fees (don't touch or look at anything unless you want to pay)!. We were charged for "free internet access", pool fees (never went to the pool), etc. In all fairness when the 'Resort Fees' were questioned, the staff quickly removed these charges from all bills for our party. We all experienced problems getting hot water for showers. It would take up to 20 minutes for the water to get hot. The private dining room in the 700 Drayton Restaurant was far too small to comfortably accommodate the wedding reception; however, the food was excellent (it should be for $178.00 per person).

Overall it was a very pleasant once in a lifetime experience. Would I go back; highly unlikely. Would I recommend to others......depends upon your taste.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Statesboro, Georgia
Reviewed April 18, 2010

Not entirely satisfied, but I got a deal. So who's to complain ? Ironically, this place used to a funeral home, but since it was turned into a hotel it seems to be a very much desired destination for weddings/receptions/interludes. Expressionistic paintings on the walls suggest luxury and more. The attendants offered services respectfully, but they were not overbearing. They did well, but I wasn't there to play.

I was there on a weekend, so I didn't use the valet parking service. I parked on the street behind the establishment.

I was disappointed that the suggestion of luxury was not entirely true. (Maybe they gave me something other than a 1st class room because I got their online deal.)

My complaints are:

The room was not much better than another tourist class room of a hotel chain. A little larger? Yes. A little cleaner? Yes.
The ostentatious headboard of the bed looked like it had been pressed out of the same mold as any other plastic;
The seal around the shower allowed water to leak all over the bathroom floor;
You can't touch anything in the fridge without possibly being charged for the touch because there are sensors in the fridge.

I stayed at the Gastonian B&B a few times over the years, and the owner was lavish in his presentation and generosity. But now, the owners of The Mansion On Forsyth own that, too. I don't know that I want to return to the Gastonian, either.

I wouldn't stay here again, but if you're looking for ostentation, this is your Mansion.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
Florida
Reviewed April 9, 2010

Lovely location across the street from Forsyth Park. Very nice room, lovely common areas. Restaurant service was slow and the food typically pricey as in most hotels, but there are more reasonably priced eateries within walking distance. As mentioned in another post, we parked on the street rather than pay the $20 a night valet fee. A little far to walk to the riverfront attractions, but the tour shuttles all stop right outside the hotel. Cooking school was our main reason for staying here, and it was excellent.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple