“Great Hotel”

Mansion on Forsyth Park, Autograph Collection
Ranked #25 of 114 Hotels in Savannah
Reviewed July 28, 2009

My wife and I spent our anniversary weekend here recently. We had a great time. The hotel was perfect, the staff was friendly and very helpful, and the spa we awesome. One really nice feature was that they had a car and van that would take us to dinner, etc. It was very convenient.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pdemetree
There are newer reviews for Mansion on Forsyth Park, Autograph Collection

Reviewed July 14, 2009

I usually ONLY stay at Marriott's because no matter what part of the globe you go Marriott's ALWAYS have the same standards in their hotels.

So I was a little hesitant to stay at this hotel. But I was there for a wedding and that's where the rest of the wedding party was staying so I caved in. I was also skeptical of the price $149 for the wedding discount which was usually $198. For that price I want to know EXACTLY what I'm getting. I have NO problem paying $198 in a heart beat for a Marriott room because I KNOW what I'm getting.

Anyway I looked at the website and of course they had the most glossy, brochure air brushed pictures you could imagine and that scared me even more!!! I thought to myself "What am I getting into, nothing looks THIS nice in real life."

I went ahead and paid my deposit and crossed my fingers. I quickly received a confirmation email encouraging me to sign up for cooking classes, tours, and spa experiences and I still wasn't buying it and didn't sign up for anything.

I'm usually the optimist in my family but I was still stuck on my Marriott loyalty and wasn't willing to budge until we got there.

WELL!!! When we finally pulled up I was a gasp!!! The Forysth park adjacent to the hotel had a HUGE chain linked fence around it, making it look more like a combat zone. The valet parking drop off area was soo tiny we drove past it the first time and we were forced to drive around the block, and as we did drive around THAT block I IMMEDIATELY clicked the lock button on my car as I saw a man strolling down the street in a "wife beater" tshirt drinking out a big brown paper bag.

All I could think to myself was WHAT HAD I DONE!!! We quickly drove around the block, all the while my husband laughing at me, and finally made it to the valet parking drop off, where they announced valet parking would be $20 a day!!!

Well after seeing that man barely dressed drinking out a brown paper bag I was MORE than willing to have them park my car for $20 a day!!!

I know what you're thinking....how was this ONE of the BEST hotels you've stayed at....

Well from the minute, I finally got out the car until I checked out of the hotel, a few days later we were waited on hand and foot. The hotel staff were by far the most courteous staff I've encountered in a long time. They were extremely accommodating, helpful, professional and cheerful.

We had the Premium King room I believe and the room was, may I say, "opulent" and I loved every minute of it. Others have described it as shabby chic, I prefer opulent. I loved everything about the room, the color of the walls, the choice of decor, knobs on the armoire, the shabby chic curtains and matching lounge chair, I loved the mixture of white head board and dark room furniture, the glass shower doors, mini chandeliers and my greatest love was the barnyard style doors over the bathroom tub that allowed you to look out to the bedroom.

Another person reviewed the barnyard doors in the bathroom as a lack of privacy, I thought it was a novel and eclectic touch that was a well appreciated touch of style. Plus I have a 3 year old so I was able to put her to sleep and slip into the tub with my husband all the while being able to keep a watchful eye.

However, I really didn't need to keep a watchful eye as the quaint intimate swimming pool wore her out and that coupled with the bed kept her asleep all night.

Back to that bed....My husband described it as (and please don't take offense here) if he could imagine what it would FEEL like when god says "come to me my son it's time to go meet your maker"....how euphoric that MIGHT feel...THAT'S HOW SLEEPING IN THIS BED FELT!!!! As we were getting ready to leave he actually pulled up the sheets to check out what kind of mattress it was and found out it was a "Simmons Beautyrest pillowtop mattress". I think I might have to buy one for Christmas and put the Sealy Posturepedic Memory Foam Mattress in the guest room!

We did not eat at any of the restaurants so I can't review the service or quality of the meals. We ate a local place called Smokin Ribs or something like that...but it's fine forgot the name of the place as they ran out of ribs anyway...."How can a rib place run out of ribs?"

I also didn't have time to sign up for a spa experience which I was very disappointed about after I'd fallen in love with the hotel. But I did get to wonder the limited grounds of the hotel and especially get to take in the art gallery and I found the entire place well thought out and a master of decor.

I later found out after driving around the block once more, that across the street is an old people home and that's why I encountered the older gentleman poorly dressed and nursing the BIG brown paper bag.

I must say though that while the hotel was beautiful the surrounding areas are possibly in the middle of gentrification and while this is a sad turn of events once it is done the surrounding areas will be just a appealing as the inner comforts of the hotel itself. But until then just enjoy all that the hotel has to offer INSIDE!!!

But I do wish the gentrification did NOT have displace the poorer people of the neighborhood as it's their hands that made Savannah what it is today.

Oh before I forget don't forget to check out the fountain in Forsyth park across the street if you dare!!! The fountain was actually bought out of a "Sears and Roebuck" catalog so I was told!!! I also wanted to find out why the trees in the neighborhood that were used to hang slaves no longer bore willows while all the other trees had magnificent willows draping from each limb. But I'll hopefully/sadly find that out during our next visit...YES I WILL BE BACK it was worth every Triple A Four Diamond penny!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank Mel C
Reviewed July 9, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Mansion on Forsyth Park June 22 - 24 because he was taking a cooking class at the restaurant on site. The class started at 2:00 and check-in was not until 4:00. The front desk manager was extremely accommodating. He gave us an upgrade on our room therefore getting us settled in by 1:30. We had a Bohemian room with an "open air" bathroom. This means - no walls. There are curtains instead with a large soaking tub in the middle of the floor. The downside is the water closet is glass - so, if you want privacy there you must pull the curtains. But, this was a small inconvenience. The decor was fun - there was even an electric candleabra on the desk!

Previous Trip Advisor reviews mention the fitted bottom sheet popping off the corners of the bed. This also happened to us and was quite annoying! I reported this to the general manager the following morning. He said they had new sheets that fit the beds now and would have ours changed out. About 6:00 pm someone from housekeeping came and put the correct size sheet on - the problem was solved. So, you have to notify the staff if the sheets are not staying in place.

I must say that the entire staff was courteous, helpful, and friendly during our entire stay. We were missing washcloths when we checked in. I found a lady from housekeeping in the hall and she gave me the washcloths even though she said our room was not one of hers.

You need to be aware that the $12.00 resort fee does not cover valet parking. We made the mistake of not printing off our confirmation prior to leaving home for Savannah. When we arrived, the valet asked if we would like our car parked. We had already checked out the parking situation surrounding the hotel and decided valet would be the safest way to go. We were not told of the $19.00 per day valet parking charge. Neither are there signs stating the charge. Our assumption at that point was that it was covered with the fee. So, we were quite surprised when we received our bill.

Bottom line - We enjoyed our stay but will not stay here again. The $12.00 "resort fee" seems a bit much because this is not a resort. And, the valet parking charge is not communicated upon check-in. The issue with the "non-fitting" fitted sheet was resolved only because I voiced a concern. This is a AAA four diamond hotel so seems that management would get rid of all sheets that do not fit to eliminate any complaints.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 6, 2009

I just stayed at "The Mansion" for a family members wedding. The Hotel is in an excellent location to the Historic Area, the Riverfront and the party area of Congress street. If you are a runner, the park is across the street and a mile around, so it is a perfect location for those training. The staff is very friendly. The room are decorated haute couture shabby chique with plenty of space. My one complaint of the room was that they do not vacuum. There were hairs all over the floor. In fact, one of the other guests complained of hairs in their bed after it had been made. The bar in the Casimir’s Lounge is excellent and makes some of the best pomengranate and chocolate martinis in the area. However, if you plan to eat there, be wary. The service is slow and they got most of orders wrong and we had to send the food back several times. I would stay there again but plan to eat elsewhere, as Savannah has many wonderful restaurants.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank kimborkr
Reviewed June 30, 2009

Quirky and fun. Luxurious rooms with an attentive staff.

If you like everything the same; rooms, decor etc. the Mansion
will not fit your bill.

Also, with all the the fine restaurants in Savannah, don't overlook the
Mansion dining room. My wife and I had one of the best meals of our
vacation there.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 30, 2009

I recently spent five days at the Mansion at Forsyth. I traveled there with my mother. We had a great time.

The hotel is distinctive in its style. The decor was eclectic. The hotel room was a decent size. Much has been said in previous reviews about the beds. They are very comfortable. I did not experience the noise from traffic that some reviewers reported. I elected to stay in a room that did not front on Drayton Street. That might have made the difference.

The hotel staff were very knowlegeable about things to do and places to visit in Savannah. They were helpful, courteous, and always pleasant from check-in to check out. Each "thank you" that I uttered after receiving a service from any of the staff was greeted with the response, "My pleasure."

The hotel offers a car to its guests for transport to places within the Historic District. I used the hotel car a few times to go to the riverfront, to Savannah's Visitors Center and to restaurants for dinner. The car was always available. Pick ups were prompt.

The restaurant, 700 Drayton, served good food. The servers were quick and efficient. Most were friendly. I particularly enjoyed Tujuana, one of the servers in the restaurant. She was a delight. She went the extra mile to ensure that our dining experience was a pleasant one.

The hotel was ideally located. Forsyth Park which is across the street from the hotel is lovely. We enjoyed our walks in Forsyth Park after breakfast each morning. The hotel is also within walking distance to several lovely squares and points of historic interest. The surrounding homes and office buildings with their unique architecture are a photographer's delight.

I would recommend the Sapphire Grill as an off-site dining alternative. I had a great dinner there my last night in Savannah. The ambience was intimate. The meal was excellent. The staff were very friendly and gracious.

It was "my pleasure" to stay at the Mansion at Forsyth. I would stay there again if I make a return trip to Savannah and would recommend the hotel to family and friends.

• Stayed: June 2009
3  Thank YouLuz
Reviewed June 24, 2009

I would definitely stay at this hotel again. It was beautiful and the service at the hotel was fabulous. The rooms were clean. The hotel ambience was sexy, artsy, creative, unique, hip and cool.

The food at 700 Drayton was really good but the service was annoying. The waitresses had bad attitudes. But the decor was amazing with orange crystal chandeliers and pictures of cheetahs in orange and black, very dramatic. Too bad the service was bad, because everything else was wonderful.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends