“A Savannah Gem” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #24 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“A Savannah Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2009

Savannah's Mansion is without doubt the best hotel in town (in regard to design and quality). It ranks amongst the nicest hotels in which we've stayed. What a truly beautiful building, a stunning lobby and art-filled halls (on all floors).

Our top floor corner room had three windows and overlooked the pool. The design of the resort is a great mix of old Savannah and modern lines. A striking combination.

The bathrooms are large. The tub is enormous. The shower and toilet have separate glass enclosed rooms.

While located in the historic district on the lovely (and grand) Forsyth Park, the hotel is a bit removed. There are few dining options in the immediate vicinity of the hotel. A walker can cover all of Savannah on foot, but the average traveler may need a taxi or car to reach the edges of the district from the hotel.

Additionally, there is not a self park option at the hotel. All guest arriving with a vehicle must pay $19 daily (plus tips) for parking and valet.

All said, don’t let the location or parking steer you away. The hotel’s quiet, charming, one-off location is actually its greatest asset. Parking is always difficult in urban walking cities. If you are a design or hotel snob (without attitude) this is the place for you. If you like to be close to the city center but enjoy the quiet of a neighborhood this is the place for you.

• Liked — Design and quality
  • Disliked — Few dining options adjacent to hotel
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (361)
Chicago
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2008

The Mansion on Forsyth Park seems to have an idenity problem like the other hotels owned by this group...they need a new stylist in my opinion. The hotel tryes to be elegant...but it's not, the hotel tries to be hip...any maybe it would be if I were 25 but I am not.
I found the room nice - but dark...I could not read the newspaper, the water pressure poor and the air conditioner not working properly. The public space decor was nice and the restaurant ok.

With all the mirrors they need to buy some glass cleaner

arlington va
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2008

My husband & i had a great time at the mansion. We stopped off for 2 nights while on our way to FL for the holidays. We had a pet so they had to put us on the 1st floor. I really wanted the room w/ a tub so they upgraded us at no charge. The tub was fabulous! My husband & I also enjoyed a couple's massage at the poseidon spa. I really enjoyed it but he did not. He should have got a sports massage because he wanted the massage to be more deep tissue.The staff was super frinedly. I saw some of the negative reviews about the staff being snooty but I totally disagree. They were nothing but pleasant and accomodating. It was kind of a downtime in savannah because of the holidays but we really enjoyed it because it was not crowded. We will definitely return.

Stayed December 2008
Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2008

My wife and I stayed here for one night on our way from VA to FL. It was even better than the website made it look. The walls everywhere are covered (and I mean covered) with interesting art. The room was huge and beautifully decorated. I honestly can't understand how their rates can be so reasonable. We had drinks in Casimirs Lounge, which is one of the coolest spaces I've seen. Dinner at 700 Drayton was very good. All in all, a very satisfying experience.

• Liked — The size and quality of the room
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Palm Beach Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2008

I booked this hotel through an offer that came through Travelzoo.com after having already booked into another hotel in Savannah. I received a "too good to pass up" deal of $109 per night over Christmas. The special offer was for a King room, but, as I was traveling with my daughter, I called to see if the same price would apply for two queens and was given the same rate with a park view too boot!
As I was pretty familiar with the Historic District in Savannah I knew that the hotel was a pretty good distance from the main tourist area, nearer to the river, but was told that we could be transported wherever we needed to go via the hotel Town Car and driver, at no additional cost. Although we did not need to use this service it was nice to know that it was available.
The hotel is really beautiful and the staff that greeted us was very friendly and accommodating. There was an error on my bill which was promptly handled to my satisfaction.
Our room was beautiful, decorated with very dark walls, chandeliers, with velvet drapes, chairs and pillows. The beds were extremely comfortable with lush duvets and down pillows. A Bose radio with the hotel CD is in every room and provided a lovely touch.
The rooms are also supplied with coffee machines which use coffee pods (very good coffee0 but we had an issue with housekeeping in getting them to replace the china coffee mugs and replace the coffee pods everyday.
The only other issue we had was that the room lighting is VERY dim, making it impossible to read in bed. My recommendation would be to bring a book light if you like to read in bed.
We only had one meal, a hamburger, in the hotel bar, but it was quite good.

• Liked — Luxury appointments
  • Disliked — Lack of attention to detail by housekeeping
  • Stayed December 2008
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2008

The Mansion is a beautiful mix of classic architecture and updated styling. We had a premium king room, which was wonderfully comfortable and spacious. Check in was easy and friendly and they had a nice mix playing on the Bose when we entered the room. Every encounter with the staff was nothing but pleasant.

We were completely happy with the location, a little removed from the busier area but still close enough to get there quickly. The hotel also has a complimentary town car to drop off and pick up guests around town. Street parking on Abercorn (just behind the hotel) for our rental car was very easy and convenient. I would also recommend a spa appointment at Poseidon, the massages we had were excellent.

• Liked — Friendly staff, well-appointed room, convenient, peaceful
  • Disliked — Odd housekeeping hours
Atlanta
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2008

My husband and I reserved through the Mansion website directly. We'd just been through a major transplant surgery 3 weeks prior and were looking forward to a totally awsome stay in a highly touted Savannah hotel. I would not characterize our stay as terrible, however we experienced several service /quality issues I would not expect for a 4 or 5 star hotel charging a 22% gratuity on every service in addition to $12 dollar a day service fee. With these charges, I would expect impecable service.

1) Jacked up rate after online reseration made - I made this reservation online with rates $20 less than were sent in confirmation and confirmed upon check in. When I brought this to the attention of front desk staff, their attitude was indifference and quite frankly 'snotty' - 'it's disclosed on the website that we can change the rate based on capacity'. I followed up on this after the fact and cannot find this on the website nor was is provided from the hotel. Never an experience I've had at a 4-5 star hotel.

2) Spa Treatments - Spa is very nice and staff in the spa was pleasant, however sessions were overpriced with a 22% service charge which is excessive.
With these charges, we were still asked to report to the spa in our robes and slippers because 'the spa was very busy today'. Never an experience I've had at a 4-5 star hotel.

3) Room Service- we ordered breakfast to our room via breakfast card. Room service arrived with only 1 meal. When we pointed this out to the delivery staff, she was absolutely sure she had brought everything on the order and left. I chased her down the hallway and asked her to 'recheck the order' and she seemed inconvenienced and irritated and was sure it was me that had made the mistake. She came back a minute later to report she had in fact made a mistake reading the card. No apology, no regret. Never an experience I've had a 4-5 star hotel. On another occasion, my husband and I ordered a club sandwich for a late night snack. Although the order was correct, we both went to bed with upset stomachs. We canceled our reservation at the 700 club for the next night as a result - and was thrilled we had. We also discovered that of the 22% gratuity for room service (in addition of another 3$ service charge), the staff only recieves 10%. The fact the staff disclosed this to us tells me their staff is not happy which reflects in their service.

4) Maid Service - With these charges, I would expect maid service to be top notch. Our last day, we were out from 10 - 4:30 pm and returned to a room without maid service. We left for dinner at 7 and I asked the front desk for room service. He said he would try to get someone to go by for a light service. when I provided the feedback from the day, his first instinct was to question whether I had left the do not distrurb sign (we had not) - seeming shocked this could have occured.

5) inconvenienced - we were informed in the morning there would be wedding activities in the hotel lobby from 6 - 6:30 pm. My husband and I ran back to our hotel to make the 6 cut off - and arriving at 5:50, we were stopped and asked to wait for the brides grand entrance. Instead of taking the 30 seconds it would to get through the lobby, they escorted us through the side door. After waiting for 10 minutes, we were escorted to the service elevator. As a recent bride myself, I understand the importance of the day, but expectations were set that the staff did not seem prepared to deliver.

We also ran across other guest at the hotel who had issues with their room upon arrival - (used robes, used water and half eaten candy).

On the bright side - our room was clean and well appointed. We found the young men at the valet stand to be very professional and pleasant.

We would not stay here again or recommend this hotel to anyone. Bottom line is a hotel with these rates and extra charges should up it's game and deliver commesurate service. When mistakes are made, instead of questioning the customer, they should acknowledge their mistake and make every effort to make it right or reimburse the customer.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — service; extra fees
  • Stayed November 2008
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Debler