“Gorgeous decor, sloppy costumer service”

Mansion on Forsyth Park, Autograph Collection
Ranked #22 of 115 Hotels in Savannah
Reviewed May 31, 2014

Our stay at the Mansion on Forsyth was a little splurge on one of our weekends away. My wife and I adored the décor and the little touches that separate this property from the various options in town. Loved the photo of the fountain in the elevators ceiling for example, the bar is sumptuous and the perfect place for a good drink at the end of a long days' exploring the gorgeous historic center. Be mindful though that this is a modern interpretation of a stay at a mansion. If you want the old creaky floors and four poster beds this place is not for you. Would have loved to enjoy live music on the rooftop but during our stay it was not on. I would definitely go back, however, the reception (and departure for that matter) we received by the two girls working during our stay was very poor indeed. This was our first visit (of many future ones) to this beautiful city and we had tons of questions. It did seem that the girls had better things to do than accommodate us. When we asked how to get to Tybee for example our clerk verbally rambled off a bunch of streets and directions, when we looked a little puzzled she ended her statement by the words "..or do I need to print out directions?.." We were both shocked by the brazenness of these words, especially in a autograph collection - Kessler property. The essence of hospitality was missing in both her statement and her demeanor. When we asked to make some change for the meters downtown, again, no luck, no change available. By this time we thought that we had insulted someone. Upon proceeding to our car, no door was opened, although two valets were outside. When I opened the door (myself) one of the guys pointed to my car. No assistance was offered with my luggage. My wife and I packed everything ourselves (after tipping the guy, mind you!). All in all, this is a great property with tons of potential. It is gorgeous and worth the splurge. If the mansion wants to attract a loyal clientele however it will need to pay much closer attention to the little things that matter to the traveler. The essence of hospitality needs constant care. A polite answer to a question that has been heard a million times by the local employee deserves a pleasant and correct response, not belittlement. Having said that, we are seasoned travelers and would not let a couple of ill conceived statements stop us from going back. Maybe we can find out if my post had any impact on the behavior and customer service of the staff, inquiring minds want to know!

Room Tip: higher rooms facing Forsyth
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank patten36

Reviewed May 30, 2014

When I looked at picture, I thought those where just some of the select room, but no - mine was just like that. The room was spacious and screamed luxury so would be PERFECT for a romantic stay.

Excellent bedding and stunning furniture, gorgeous bathroom and toiletries. A very nice CD playing too. There are many upsell opportunities - you could buy the CD, the wine that is conveniently in the decanter or even the bath salts by the bath - but you don't have to and it is made clear that if you use them you will have to pay.

The service is excellent and the rest of the hotel is very beautiful - worth a wonder even for the art on the walls alone.

The hotel located very centrally but at the same time next to a park - so it is not noisy. There is a free shuttle from the hotel's end of town to a sister hotel down by the river - which is very handy when it's wet. When it's not wet - it's only a 5 min walk to all the lovely squares and eateries.

If you need an 'all out' experience to impress someone - this would be the place.

Room Tip: I believe rooms at the back will be quieter as they overlook an internal garden/swimming pool
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Tanya E
Reviewed May 28, 2014

The Mansion is exactly what the name implies, a former mansion converted to a boutique styled hotel. The artwork is amazing, the staff was very friendly and anxious to serve and please. The room was great and the bathroom design was quite impressive. Hard to beat the location, and it was a short shuttle ride to the Riverfront and an easy one mile walk back after dinner at The Old Pink House (another impressive experience). This was a five star experience!

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 28, 2014

You will never want to leave the hotel. Savannah is one of the locations we like to go to as a weekend get-away. We have eyed the Mansion, but could not justify spending lots of money when most of our time would be spent walking the city blocks. So, our anniversary came and I was surprised with a 2 night say here.

The staff is not pretentious as one would expect from a high quality hotel. They had the southern charm to them...always greeting you and willing to make your experience the best ever!

When we arrived, they noticed we were part of the Marriott Rewards, a AAA member, and also stay at the Marriott chain quite a bit, so they upgraded us without request! The room was most spacious and had charming view of the parks. The bath tub was to die for!

The park is directly across the street, so picnic picnic picnic!

Overall, the best hotel we have stayed at in a very long time.

Room Tip: Lower floor offers the best views of the park, as the higher floors can be blocked by the trees.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 28, 2014

The Mansion remains an excellent choice for vacationers and business people who want to visit historic Savannah, but stay away from the touristy downtown/waterfront area. Located directly across from Forsyth Park, it's a prime location for walks or runs through both the park, and the lovely historic squares. This is where one should stay if you're not into the B&B scene (Savannah has exceptional B&B options,) yet you want to be within strolling distance of the beautiful tree lined streets, parks, antique stores, restaurants, and SCAD facilities of Savannah. It is still within walking distance of the waterfront, yet is well removed, which is critical for visitors who want to avoid the crowds and congestion of the honky-tonk tourist scene.

The hotel has a nice combination of historic character and modern conveniences. Rooms are spacious, clean, and well appointed. My only real "suggestions to mgmt" are to provide slippers (a necessity at this price point) and to change the shower heads. With the already low water pressure, the shower heads' wide spray pattern felt like I would never get clean. Seems like an easy fix for hotel mgmt?

I would recommend street side rooms, as the inner courtyard is tight, giving interior rooms a much more confined feel.

Room Tip: Go for street side rooms for more privacy. The inner courtyard is tight therefore the windows are n...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank sybarite4
Reviewed May 28, 2014

The unusual decor is interesting but carryover to the rooms lacks functionality. Our room was dark with one small window over looking the portico but did include a view of beautiful Forsyth Park. No matter how we tried the lighting in our room was insufficient for easy reading and planning our next day's adventure. The soaking tub was interesting but more appropriate for a fun beach resort. The valet staff were great, very friendly and helpful. When on Sunday morning we asked for a recommendation for breakfast the clerk at the front desk suggested Starbucks. We did find a great neighborhood spot called Henry's. Although there are not many choices in Savannah, I think we will look elsewhere in the future.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Elisa D, Front Office Manager at Mansion on Forsyth Park, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2014

Thank you for bringing these issues to our attention. We are disappointed to learn that our decor was not to your liking during your stay with us. Being a boutique hotel some rooms have more natural light than others and I’m sorry we were unable to place you in a room that fit your needs better. Thank you for your kind words regarding our valet staff, I will be sure to pass these words of praise on to our team. I hope you will re-think your decision and give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Elisa Dickerson

Reviewed May 27, 2014

The Mansion on Forsyth Park is not so much a hotel as its is an experience. Baroque, over-the-top, eclectic but somehow still elegant.The rooms overlooking the beautiful Forsyth Park are lovely, beds and pillows soft and comfy and saving the best for last, giant whirlpool tub in the bathroom doesn't disappointingly run out of hot water.
Megan at the front desk is lovely and the entire valet staff is very friendly and helpful with directions.
It's a little out of the very center of the historic district but they do have a shuttle that runs to their sister hotel on the river. (Not available on the Monday we were there?)
Whatever, it's a nice walk past many gorgeous historic homes. Highly recommend having a drink around the fire pit on their rooftop bar. Made new friends and had great conversations.
I was sorry I didn't bring my suit as their relaxation pool looked delightful. I would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: My daughter and I enjoyed looking out over the park over coffee in the morning.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends