“Nice hotel but not GREAT as you would assume”

Mansion on Forsyth Park, Autograph Collection
Ranked #21 of 116 Hotels in Savannah
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Hotel was very nice except the location is far from the downtown area of Savannah and the staff was not very well trained and did not match up to the high quality of the hotel.

Very disappointed overall would NOT stay here again. Definitely not worth the premium rates you pay to stay here. I think Kessler had a great idea in purchasing a beautiful mansion as a hotel but I think it is lacking in location and staff.

We had a room on Forsyth square which would have been beautiful other than the fact you were across a major 2-3 lane road so that in the morning around 7am it sounded like we were in a Motel 6 right on the highway.

Room Tip: Get a room of the road to eliminate noise volume.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank John R
Write a ReviewReviews (1,848)

Reviewed January 7, 2014

The bellman was helpful, but the front desk a bit rushed and did not give an overview of hotel; Name, credit card, here's your key. Noticed on Saturday new arrivals were offered champagne. The room was large but not that clean. Needed some serious dusting. Glassware hadn't been washed for some time. Walls of hotel lobby decorated with some loud art work - not my taste. My husband thinks selling art work throughout hotel a bit tacky. We arrived late afternoon and wanted a bit to eat - restaurant closed so we sat in lounge. Tables really dirty - finger marks, dust, left over food. Food served good. Bartender/waitress very nice and prompt. Next morning breakfast at 700 Drayton - coffee cup had lipstick on rim - YUCK. Food was good, waiter friendly. Next evening had room service for dinner - ordered soup, and three entrees. We got silverware for two, and no spoon for soup. Tried several times for room service to pick up dirty dishes and remove table, but no answer. Overall, hotel ok. Downtown is about 1 mile away. You can walk it but it was very cold this past weekend. The sister hotel Bohemian is a better location for those wanting to be downtown near river walk and shopping.

Room Tip: Room 306 large corner room with king and sleeper sofa. Can hear street noise.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank boater2
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Eclectic paintings mention in other posts also weren't my cup of tea, but served to add to the place's charm in a strange kind of way. Excellent staff and extremely comfortable rooms. Pet friendly and plenty of nice walks with or without the dog. Very much enjoyed our 2 night stay during weekend after Christmas.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 7, 2014

This hotel is lovely. We stayed for one night. We chose it because we like unique hotels and wanted to be on the park for the dog. It was gorgeous. The room was lovely. The bathtub was a nice treat after a long trip. They should have included bubble bath rather than for sale bath items.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Upon entering this hotel your eyes are assaulted. It's pretty gaudy, lots of red and purple and turquoise, special-effects sponge painting, faux Roman columns, etc. I'm sure some people would like this, but I found it an eyesore.

My husband checked and was a bit "meh" about the whole affair. He left me with no key so I had to queue up and get a key of my own when I returned later to the hotel, and I was not impressed. There was a man in front of me having rather a complicated check-in; changing cards, changing rooms, arranging late check out, etc and it went on for some time and several times a manager walked by and saw me there and carried on doing something else that involved him walking around the hotel a lot. The woman then took my ID and gave me my keys and that was it. I said, what floor is it on? The second. Where is it? She pointed. Where are the elevators or stairs? Again she pointed.

My principle issue with the room is this: the bathroom is enclosed by... a curtain! That's right! No privacy.

My kids were staying a floor above us and their bags were in our room. A bellhop arrived with my sister and her bags, they were staying next door. I asked if they could take the bags upstairs (having tipped him 10 for the first round of deliveries) and he said, I can't because we have so many bags to delivery downstairs. I'll have to come back later.

The beds were fantastic, like a giant marshmallow.

The breakfast was absolutely grim. Hated it. The bagels were several days old. The waitress was incredibly unhappy.

I was really glad to check out of this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank MSMLondon
Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I just returned from a long weekend in Savannah staying at the Mansion. Overall we had a great experience and would recommend this hotel for a couples weekend. Due to the lack of privacy in the bathroom, I would not recommend for friends sharing a room. The location was great - we walked to downtown easily each day. The shuttle was also running on time to the sister hotel on Bay Street whenever we didn't want to walk.
The art collection within the hotel would provide those interested in art with a lot to look at / purchase.

Pros:
- friendly staff - we were always greeted upon entering the hotel
- great bars - Jason and Gavin were great entertaining bartenders
- clean, updated facilities

Cons:
- men's steam shower in spa wouldn't heat up
- poor water pressure in room shower

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Clt1984
Reviewed January 4, 2014

I couldn't have been happier with this hotel. Pulling into the gravel entry courtyard we were immediately impressed by the blend of historical and contemporary architecture. We were warmly greeted even at our 2am arrival. Our king room was large, comfortable and stylishly decorated with an eclectic blend of furnishings that were both romantic and functional. Ample storage in the bedroom in a large armoire and a very comfortable bed were divided off from a very large bath area by a shuttered door that was above the large tub. Just off of the lobby area is a courtyard that has a small pool area that has a waterfall on the back wall. There is sofa seating in the lobby and a very helpful concierge. A very attractive bar area echoes the rest of the hotel with a contemporary glass bar set in a room with warm wood walls and traditional furnishings and colorful contemporary art. Also on the first floor is a banquet room, art gallery and a wonderful wall display of antique women's hats. The hotel is connected to a large, red brick antebellum mansion that gives the hotel its name. It houses the restaurant which we had a wonderful lunch in as well as a wonderful bar space upstairs that has live music on the weekends that we wished we would have been there to see. Every room has its own feel and offers a glimpse into the past while providing an opportunity to utilize the space in a modern way. Great elegant spaces and little details are everywhere in this hotel. The location is just off of Forsyth Park, but is a distance from the downtown area. The trolley does stop just outside of the hotel and was great for getting around during the day. Otherwise the hotel was happy to call a cab. We look very forward to returning to this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple