“Awesome place for a couple- that knows each other REALLY well”

Mansion on Forsyth Park, Autograph Collection
Ranked #22 of 115 Hotels in Savannah
Reviewed November 24, 2013

So, we went on a wonderful girls trip to Savannah and stayed at this super cool and fun hotel. Too bad everyone in the room could hear you pee. We stayed in a two queen room with four people. The bathroom was separated from the room by a curtain. Yup. A curtain. The toilet was encased in clear glass, as was the shower. So, this meant that only one person could be with in the curtain enclosed area at a time. It contained the sink, mirror, hairdryer, bathtub, shower, and toilet. I could totally understand this arrangement in a room with only a king, but this room was designed for more than two people. It was a great looking room. You could see that the interior designer was trying real hard to be cool and funky. Too bad that function was completely over looked.
Ok, the good stuff: the bed were super comfy. The rooms décor was gorgeous, except for the scary modern art work (but some people like the stare at asymmetrical breasts on the wall, so...you know, whatever floats your boat). Staff was kind and helpful. Everything was clean. The restaurant in the hotel was delicious. And the concierge room was great with good food. Beautiful hotel. I would have given it 5 stars if a girl could just find a private place to do her lady business. But I think it would be great to go with my hubby. (No newly weds though...you need to keep some of the mystery for at least a couple of months. )

Room Tip: Ask for the handicap room. Their bathroom had a door.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank aes37
Write a ReviewReviews (1,824)

Reviewed November 21, 2013

We decided to stay here the last leg of our trip once we went into the hotel for cocktails and dinner. The hotel is beautiful, a combination of elegant and artistic. We were excited about staying there our last night after enjoying the kindness of the people of Savannah and HIlton Head. We could not have been more underwhelmed by the two ladies who we first encountered at the desk when we arrived to check in. They could not have been any less welcoming. They barely acknowledge us when we approached the desk. One was on the phone and never even looked at us while we stood in front of here waiting to check in. It must have rained earlier in the day and there are marble floors in the entrance and throughout the hotel. I slipped and almost took a bad fall, had not someone grabbed me who was standing in there. When I told one of the woman at the desk what happened so they could do something to prevent someone else from falling- she replied f the mop it, it will only get wet again. I suggested another mat out front, she just kind of shrugged. As I went to leave the desk, I slipped in front of he again ( water again on marble) I looked at her and she kind of rolled her eyes and said she would tell someone to look after it. It really set the tone for our opinion of the hotel. It was a Sunday night and the hotel was empty, yet it took at least 15 minutes for the bellman to get our bags to us from the lobby. HE was pleasant but we were anxious to get out things so we could go out to dinner. The hotel is absolutely gorgeous, as was our room. Boutique feel with an incredible interior design. Negative- The walls in your room are paper thin as we could hear the gentleman talking in the next room all night when we were trying to sleep. Any conversations people had as they went down the halls sounded as if it was right in your room. Positives- Great rooftop bar and lobby bar. We did not eat here as we ate at Garibaldi's restaurant ( GREAT ambience, service and meal) the Pink House, and the River House restaurants, (all I would recommend). We will be in Savannah a lot over the next year for business. It is a shame we did not receive the level of service we expected from the Mansion, as we really did LOVE the decor. This hotel is also not within walking distance to many of the area attractions, although they did offer a shuttle to their sister hotel along the River- The driver of the shuttle was EXTREMELY pleasant and accommodating!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cherNJ
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Unique room layout! This hotel was opulent and the staff was courteous and very helpful. Our room was plush! The bath and sleeping area were one big room with the tub almost in the middle of the room. There were curtains surrounding the bath area so you could have privacy. The gym was too small for the hotel with only one elliptical. The TVs on the machines didn't work. This hotel was not in the shopping part of town but they offered a free shuttle to their sister hotel in the shopping/tourist area.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 15, 2013

We went to Savannah, GA for Christmas Vacation. We stayed at the Mansion. Our room was very nice, old traditional style, a little dark. Great art work along the hallways. We requested a view of Forsyth Park. Unfortunately, our room was right over the lobby and the valet parking. So, we could hear people coming and going, cars starting, etc. We were close enough to walk through the park and the "squares" and the sites based on Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. It's a Marriott hotel, but looks nothing like a hotel. The front desk staff were young and somewhat unprofessional. I wanted to wrap a Christmas gift and asked if I could use their scissors. They had an attitude and made some type of negative comment as if I wouldn't return them. I wrapped the gift in front of them in the lobby and quickly returned them. The front staff could be more polite as guests enter and exit the "mansion". I am worthy.

Room Tip: Don't get a room over the valet parking.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 14, 2013

Immediately on check in, one takes in the ambiance of this hip, upbeat hotel: happy, helpful staff, original paintings and décor and urban mood music.

The hallways are adorned with eye-catching, contemporary original pieces of art and my room had original stylish decoration. The bathroom had a large bath with big shutters that opened up into the room. The room was quiet and the bed comfortable.

In the evening it was enjoyable to have a glass of wine and an hors d'oeuvres in the longue adjacent the lobby -- the bar tender was very professional and friendly. For breakfast, the associated restaurant next door serves a lovely, high calibre breakfast (at a reasonable price). This hotel is opposite a delightful park.

The only thing that was a little troubling was the feeling that the hotel was trying to make money on "extras." For example there were bath salts next to the bath that if you were not careful to read a note on the bubble bath next to it, cost $25 to use (which I accidently used without realising the cost). The bottled water was expensive, and the WIFI is not free (although, I must add that the front desk was kind enough to comp for me). However, all said and done, this is a wonderful hotel; I enjoyed my stay here and would be happy to stay again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 14, 2013

The hotel was truly beautiful. The art and the decor of the grounds are spectacular. The staff was very friendly and accommodating..The rooms were large and spacious and very modern…The room service was great and very quick and the prices were reasonable. The only down side is the hotel is a good walk from the downtown and river-front area where all of the shopping and other restaurants are…A great hotel for a getaway with your wife or partner, but not a hotel with a family. It is difficult for a family to get around. The hotel is not a great chose if you have kids bc the environment is very chic and does not lend itself for kids….

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Robert S
Reviewed November 14, 2013 via mobile

I travel the world and stay at some of the best hotels...this is not one. This is among the worst. Their moto should be over promise and under deliver. It's a nice enough property...not worthy of 4.5 stars...maybe 4 on a good day.

The good:
Hotel is interesting with decent sized rooms. Well appointed. Bar is cute with good service. Restaurant staff was great and really enjoyed our food.

And now for the bad:
Paid for a delux room and had a confirmation stating so. I was told by the guy at check in and then his manager that the third party from whom I purchased my room was to blame. That honestly held no water for me. I was able to prove to them that I had, in fact, paid for a delux room. They had no delux rooms for me until the following day when They offered to move me. Better than nothing. I check into my Standard room only to find it had not been cleaned! Disgusting!! Even the bell guy was upset. Manager offered to move me, but I told her to just clean my room. She said she would send up champagne for my trouble. Guess what...never came. Crowning blow was when our keys stopped working and I had to stand in another 30 minute check in line before the useless woman who seemed to be doing paperwork acknowledged me so I could go back to my standard room.

I love savannah, but this hotel needs serious help.

Stayed: November 2013