“Subtle Luxury”

Mansion on Forsyth Park, Autograph Collection
Ranked #25 of 114 Hotels in Savannah
Reviewed May 23, 2013

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Mansion. It was a bit further from the historic district, but I enjoyed that is encouraged me to take different routes to head towards the river. All the staff was attentive and I enjoyed the fun little extras like the infused water and sweet tea in the lobby, homemade fresh cookies. The beds are comfy, the bathroom is huge, but the walls are thin. The best part? The hotel is an art museum. I've never seen so many amazing pieces of unusual art. I look forward to staying here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Mansion on Forsyth Park, Autograph Collection

Reviewed May 22, 2013

We liked the décor and room at the Mansion, but were disappointed by the distance to River Street and the service from the valet team. We would recommend this hotel to people uninterested in nightlife as it's further away from Historic Savannah. If you are interested in night life, we recommend the sister hotel, The Bohemian on River Street. We are thankful for to Kia at the front desk for her great service and attention to our requests.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Elisa D, Front Office Manager at Mansion on Forsyth Park, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2013

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed the hotel’s décor and that you would recommend us to your friends. Also, we are pleased that Kia was able to assist you throughout your visit.

Reviewed May 21, 2013

This was the third time that my group reserved three rooms at the Mansion for three adults. I made the reservations in November 2012 for our trip in May 13. I speciifically requested the three rooms be together or at least on the same floor as each of us are single travels who take care of each other. Our rooms were not only not together but on different floors. All were inside rooms with a view of another side of the building. Rooms were average and not of the caliber we were given in the past. When I spoke to the desk clerk, I was told that we should have requested upgrades. I did receive an email about two weeks prior to our trip and immediately requested this; however, was told there were no upgrades available. The Mansion was a big disappointment and I would advise others making reservations to be very specific on the accommodations they wish. While the staff was polite, they didn't really seem too interested in making any future offers. Also, when we arrived, we discovered there was a big wedding while we were there. We will most likely consider to stay elsewhere in the future. The price is NOT worth it.

Room Tip: When making reservations, be specific. Request a room facing the park if that is important to you a...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

I was sad to learn of your recent experience while staying with us at The Mansion on Forsyth Park. I tried reaching you by phone but was unable to connect with you. It is always our goal to honor our guest’s requests so that we many not only meet your expectation but exceed it. I understand that we failed in that department for you. Please accept my apology. Although I know it can never truly make up for what you encountered I offer it to you with complete sincerity.

Please know that we take every guest comment seriously and value your opinion. We are committed to excellence and use your feedback to reach that goal.

Reviewed May 16, 2013

The hotel is located in front of the beautiful Forsyth Park and a very scenic 20 minute walk to River Street, which is filled with many restaurants and caffes.

During the walk you get to see and experience all of the Savannah's history.
You can also take a shuttle down to its sister hotel The Bohemian which is located in River Street.

The hotel itself has a lot of history and southern charm. Many believe it is haunted. The rooms are spacious with great views and are very clean. Staff was helpful and friendly.

All in all a great trip, and we would stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 13, 2013

A recount of my stay at the Mansion.
1) Booked on their website for a concierge floor at $385 a night which forces you to prepay for your room...with a complete refund if you cancel 24 hours AFTER your booking of the reservation.
2) Arrived around 3pm to find that the entire pool area was covered in a tent for a wedding and a sign saying that the pool would be closed at 5pm for an event. This hotel is built around the pool so that was disappointing. More about the wedding later.
3) Booked a massage for my spouse and I at the in house spa. Had nice treatment there, until the bill arrived and they had tacked on a mandatory 20% tip. Now I am typically quite gracious with my tips, however, that is my choice and should not be made for me. There was zero mention of this in the pricing on their website or on the price sheet at the counter.
4) Leave room around 7 for dinner and literally have to fight our way out of the lobby due to the spillover from the wedding party - 90% whom were not staying at this hotel.
5) Return to hotel around 9:30 for a nightcap to find that the wedding party cash bar has been set up litterally right in the middle of the small lobby bar with 30 people standing in line for drinks. The ballroom doors are all wide open to the lobby - so if we had wanted to sit at the bar and have our nightcap, we would be forced to scream to have a conversation.
6) Decide to skip drink. Head up to room to get some sleep for a 730 am flight.
7) Just get to sleep around midnight - awaken by screaming outside the hotel. Figure out that it is the wedding crowd. Walk downstairs to see if something can be done about the noise. Was very indignantly told that this was a wedding facility. My response was "sorry I was mistaken, thought it was a hotel". Noise continues till 2am. Screaming and cursing.
8) Leave hotel around 6am for my flight with a whopping three hours of sleep. Mention to the front desk clerk that I was very unhappy with the setting and circumstances and that I did not feel that the experience came anywhere close to the nearly $400 they charged me for a month in advance. He said he could not do anything because it had been prepaid - which seems rather ironic. Told me that when his boss came in they would adjust the bill and send me a copy via email. "We will make it right".
9) Get off flight home and open email to find a HUGE $20 credit. So very impressed.

In recap - if you are getting married this is a wonderful place. It is obviously the hotel's priority. If you want a hotel, book the Motel 6 or the Thunderbird - you might actually enjoy it.

A little side note. I travel approximately 100 nights a year, all over the world at luxury properties, and have for 20 plus years. I have never felt compelled to sit down and write a bad review...ever. Congratulations Mansion

8  Thank Matt D
Elisa D, Front Office Manager at Mansion on Forsyth Park, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to correspond with me regarding your recent experience. We are working diligently to resolve the issues you shared with me. I’m also glad that we were able to resolve this matter to your satisfaction. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to make your next experience with us above and beyond your expectations.

Regards,

Reviewed May 6, 2013

We had a king bed room. It was beautifully appointed but felt cramped because of the large furniture in it. The bathroom was much more spacious than the bedroom. We had a view of Forsyth Park which was lovely. We stayed on the Concierge Floor and really enjoyed both the cocktail hour and the breakfast.

1  Thank PamDowns
Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

Staff are all very friendly. Yummy cookies and cool drinks at the reception when you check in. Rooms are very boudoir like. Only a curtain separates the bathroom to the room which means lots of light and noise from tap water, bath tub, shower and toilet if somebody is trying to sleep. Good location across from the park. A nice 20 minute stroll to the riverside.

• Stayed: April 2013