“An End to End Disaster”

Mansion on Forsyth Park, Autograph Collection
Ranked #25 of 114 Hotels in Savannah
Reviewed March 31, 2008

While the rooms and public areas are nice our stay was an end to end disaster. It took 3 hours for my parents bags to be delivered to their room on check in. Our room had so much mechanical noise and so much noise from garbage being thrown out that you could not possible sleep in it. Promised resolutions were never made. Even the person they said they would send to hear the noise on the second night never showed up. Finally on the third night they offered us another room, but they never provided even a token discount despite our request. In fact they charged us for mini bar items in two of our rooms even though we had not taken anything. The concierge never made my wife's requested nail appointment and we just never heard from her again, bizarre really. The restaurant is nice and the food is very good but the service is abysmal. It's a shame, the place has potential but I would never stay their again.

4  Thank johnlittle
There are newer reviews for Mansion on Forsyth Park, Autograph Collection

Reviewed March 26, 2008

Paid $250 per night for a lovely room with two Queen beds and a limited view of the building mechanics.

I don't have much to add to the other reviews. The rooms are beautifully appointed and you would do well to avoid room service. Staff were pleasant.

I am tired of getting to hotels with internet service that is nearly unusable.

I am pleased to report that every room has wi-fi and the speeds are excellent. I used speetest.net and got the following results:
Download: 1,450 kb/s
Upload: 1,367 kb/s

2  Thank candidCIO
Reviewed March 24, 2008

The hotel is eclectic and funky with a twist of luxury. Very good stay but not outstanding. I have stayed at places that take service to the max so I may be picky here. I liked the decor and our room was clean with good service. Bathrooms not private(open floor plan) in room if traveling with family and or friends. May have other room plans if you ask. One problem or just mix up with 1 of 3 delayed bags delivered from airport and 1 held back by a bell hop for tip I suppose(only guessing). Also reserve town car in advance for use. We liked the pedicab(ask at desk) for a fun ride to a restaurant or attractions. Enjoy the Cashmir Lounge deck and spa looked very nice . The cooking school in the hotel is the is #1 favorite attraction in Savannah and I agree. So Fun and informative. If you don't mind not being right in the center of the action this is nice.

2  Thank ccminnesota
Reviewed January 31, 2008

We went to Savannah for our Anniversary and had the best time. This was our first Trip and the resort at Mansion on Forsyth Park was out of this world. They have one of the best door staffs in the business. Their rooms were great and the art work will be remembered for many years to come. We ate at their restaurant 700 Drayton and it was a great atmosphere and the food was wonderful. We also took part in their cooking school called 700 Kitchen. Chef Darin was the best we had ever encountered in all of the cooking classes we have participated in. He was so personable and the food was exquisite. Mansion is a great resort and the staff are there to make your day enjoyable.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank alabama_number_1
Reviewed January 21, 2008

With four children, the opportunity for some 'alone' time doesn't happen very often so when it does, we go for the best!
We loved the Mansion. We found the staff courteous, polite and happy to do little things like store our fresh Australian treats that we were taking back to NY in the fridge. Our room was amazing....great tub and a view across the park...plus a little sitting area in the turret space. We ate breakfast at their restaurant which was great as well as dinner and have no comlaints. I guess you just have to remember that this is really a boutique hotel and not like a 5 star chain hotel. It is a little more eclectic. Would we go back? Yes, I think we would. As someone previously mentioned it is on the very outskirts of the historic area but after visiting the downtown, we were more than happy to make our way home away from the hustle and bustle. We just loved every minute of Savannah and the mansion just made our visit perfect!

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank travelbunny
Reviewed January 14, 2008

My wife and I stayed here for a special anniversary weekend and simply could not have been more pleased with the experience. The building itself is beautifully restored and its location on Forsyth Park is a perfect setting, affording beautiful views, especially from the front-facing rooms on higher floors. The interior design is a sort-of mod, mad Southern Gothic style with touches of Versace and Anne Rice that is anything but traditional. It is not the way that I would ever choose to decorate my home and is not the most instantly calming aesthetic, but it is different and quirky enough to really set the experience apart. FYI, the female form is evident in numerous works in the rooms and public areas of the hotel, so easily offended types should not consider staying here.

This was a special weekend for us, and the staff went out of their way at every turn to make it a pleasant experience for us. Our dinner at 700 Drayton (their restaurant) was wonderful, with delicious food and attentive service. Its lounge upstars was lively and fun, with live music nightly. I had been hoping for more jazz, but the band seemed more inclined towards a late-'70's-early-'80's playlist being played at extremely high volume. I think they could benefit by showing a little restraint.

The pillow-top mattresses are exceedingly comfortable, but I'd suggest that they invest in deeper fitted sheets. The ones they use are too shallow, and , as a consequence, I was kept up half the night by the sheet slipping off the mattress and having to stretch it to try to get it back on. As a result, I did not sleep well.

The location is on the edge of the historic district, but within easy walking distance to just about any attraction you'd want to take in, and the proximity to Forsyth Park and its beautiful fountain is quite enjoyable.

All in all, if you are visiting Savannah and are not partial to B&B's I would highly recommend this property for a wonderful luxury experience with a staff that is very eager to please.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
5  Thank jcoltrane
Reviewed January 2, 2008

This is the only five star hotel in Savannah, and it is truly deserving. You know from the moment you step out of your car that service is a top priority here. From the doormen, the concierge, the front desk personnel, the drivers - all were outstanding. We made two restaurant reservations through the hotel, as well as a tour reservation, and all worked out perfectly. We were driven to our dinner restaurants both nights in the hotel car by a wonderful young man (Sam!) who was the epitome of politeness. Our room was fabulous - the bed was more comfortable than my own at home. The decor was very upscale, clean and comfortable. We very much enjoyed the jacuzzi tub, though were a bit taken aback by the clear glass enclosure around the toilet area! The only slight downside was how small the spa turned out to be. They refer to themselves as a "boutique" spa, which I assume means SMALL! But still, the service was great, so no real complaints here either. All in all, what a great place to stay. I highly recommend it and will stay there whenever we visit Savannah, which, by the way, is a lovely city!

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with friends