“It was so close to an excellent.”

Mansion on Forsyth Park, Autograph Collection
Ranked #23 of 115 Hotels in Savannah
Reviewed September 3, 2012

I wanted to give an "excellent" review, but it had a couple things that gave it a "very good." It was a lovely room, but we really didn't like the first floor location. The hotel was too booked to move us up to a higher floor. We had an executive king studio in the turret. This room was over $400 a night.

For over $400 a night, I do not expect to find a heavy layer of dust on any fixture. The bathroom sconces were heavily caked in dust. Unlike some other reviews for less expensive rooms, we were not greeted with any special amenities. We were on a trip for our 21st anniversary.

I also want to ask future hotel designers to please not make the room or door to the toilet translucent or transparent. I see this more in Europe, but I'm also seeing it in the U.S. Who wants to go to the bathroom in a room with glass walls? Maybe I'm just getting old. I like solid walls and a solid door for my toilet.

For over $400 a night I do not want to see rust trickling down any surface. I found this along the glass wall of the shower.

OK, those are my criticisms, now to the positives.

I loved the location. It was a little hike to the river area and all that activity, but being across from Forsyth Park was lovely. We loved the upstairs lounge. The staff was great in the hotel. The lounge upstairs had wonderful jazz over the weekend and we enjoyed the roof terrace. The lobby lounge was also great. Having a shuttle to downtown was very nice. The flavored water in the lobby was refreshing. The pool area was beautiful. Our bed was extremely comfortable. The lobby boutique shop is filled with exquisite art and jewelry. The art in the hotel is wonderful.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel, but it does have a few things to work on. I have gotten pickier over the years about what I expect in a hotel. If I'm paying these kinds of prices, and paying $4.00 for a can of Coke from the in-room honor bar, I expect near perfection. This was close, but not quite there. I hope the hotel will work to get this beautiful property to where it should be.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor. The first floor is a bit noisy with street traffic, especially in the mornin...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,835)

Reviewed September 3, 2012

Favorite hotel in Savannah. You feel like you are in GQ magazine when you walk through this place. Every common area room, gym, spa, pool area feels like you are in a photo shoot. Right across the street from the park. I have stayed here 3 or 4 times. Staff could be a little more hospitable.

Room Tip: Stay on the club level.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Went for aour anniversay in May and really enjoyed the stay. The property is terrific, clean and very well appointed. it is walking distance to everything you want to do in Savannah. The river front is a few more blocks, but you walk through parks and the old streets of Savannah so it seems to be short as you sightsee your way to and from the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 3, 2012

We scouted this place out in 2011 for our wedding and fell in love with it. The hotel is beautiful, the rooms are luxurious, the beds are comfy, and the staff is very attentive. Needless to say, we decided on the Mansion for our wedding.
We stayed 3 days for the wedding and our entire party loved the place as well. Effie was our wedding coordinator and was a joy to work with. The staff were very flexible and accomidating for any requests.
We dined at 700 Drayton for breakfast and the shrimp and grits are not to be missed. The staff at breakfast left a little to be desired for, they were SO slow, but 700 Drayton also catered our wedding and the food and the servers were fabulous.
We had drinks at both bars/lounges and the bar staff weren't the most attentive initially, but once you got an order in, they were quick to keep check on the levels and ask if you wanted another.
Valet service was hit and miss, we had several errands to run and had the car out a few times, some times the car was brought to us immediately, others it took 5-10 mins, which is a lot considering the parking is right behind the hotel.
Rooms were clean and spacious, all 5 guest rooms that our party had booked had different layouts and color schemes, splurge for a park view it's so nice.
Overall, we love this hotel and of course it will always hold a fond memory for us, but I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a romantic get away or a luxurious weekend. The location to the park is wonderful, one of the trolley's has a stop right outside the hotel, and are close to numerous little cafes.

Reviewed August 31, 2012

Mansion on Forsyth Park is one of the nicest hotels in which I've ever had the pleasure of staying. No detail was too small, from the fresh flowers in the elevators (!!) to the immaculate furnishings in the spacious guest rooms. The marble covered bathroom was absolutely gorgeous. I can understand that the funky, artsy decor might not be to everyone's taste, but my husband and I loved it, and it was the perfect place to spend our anniversary weekend. It's very rare that I can say that a hotel is worth the price...this was totally worth it. We were on the concierge level, which had continental breakfast (lovely fresh fruit) and snacks in the evening (we never made it to that, unfortunately). The location on Forsyth Park was beautiful- it was a bit far from the riverfront, but an hourly shuttle runs between the Mansion and the Bohemian, its sister hotel, which we were able to take advantage of. The pool area was beautiful, too, but unfortunately we weren't able to enjoy it as there was a wedding taking place that weekend (and the pool was being drained and cleaned prior to the wedding). Next time! The only reason I haven't given it five stars is that our room wasn't made up when we returned from being out all day. We did leave the room a bit late in the morning (around 11), but the housekeepers were still in the hallway, and we did take our do not disturb sign down. I asked at the front desk, and they did send someone up while we were at dinner, but they just made the bed and didn't refresh our towels or clean in the bathroom. Despite that small inconvenience, we absolutely look forward to returning on our next trip to Savannah.

Reviewed August 27, 2012

What an amazing find in the Mansion on Forsyth Park! The location at the edge of the historic district in Savannah, GA was perfect for us! Our room faced Forsyth park, had a huge king bed, funky upscale decor, an open bathroom with spa tub, and a bottle of wine with cheese plate waiting on us at arrival. We liked the courtyard pool for relaxation and enjoyed the bar service out there. We walked easily to River Street and restaurants as shopping. The hotel staff was exceptional and friendly. Room service from 700 Drayton next door was delicious as was dinner in the restaurant at night. We will return again for sure!

Room Tip: Opt for the Premium room!
Reviewed August 25, 2012

We took a beautiful trip up the southeast, staying at excellent hotels along the way. After a great experience at the Casa Monica, Planters Inn, and Inn on the Biltmore prior to arriving here, I was expecting Mansion on Forsyth Park to be as wonderful. Unfortunately, our welcome paved the way to several disappointments. While it is located across from beautiful Forsyth Park, the surrounding areas are not the best. We had paid a concierge level room with two double beds since we were traveling with our daughter. As soon as we arrived, we were told they were sorry but they had sold out of the double beds and only had a king size bed to offer us. Three adults (my daughter is a teenager) sleeping in one bed was unacceptable so they said they could bring us a rollaway. We all know how uncomfortable those are and not appealing to the eye at all. The second offer they gave us was to put us on another floor that had a sofa bed (also not comfortable) and give our keys access to the concierge room for the meals and so forth. Long story short, this is what we had to do. So we had to take the elevator to the concierge level to have a quick breakfast, or any other time we wanted to go there, and were placed in a low floor. The sofa bed remained open throughout our stay which completely deterred from the beauty of the room. The room itself was beautiful, with elegant furnishings and a nice jacuzzi in the bathroom but unfortunately we couldn't enjoy it, tripping over ourselves with the open sofa bed. Although our luggage was supposed to be delivered to the room with us, and it is a relatively small hotel, it took forever to arrive. We even had to call the front desk. The next disappointment came with the shuttle service. On our first night, we were told the shuttle service operated until 11 PM. They have a sister property on the Riverside, which has more nightlife and restaurants, so we decided to go there. The driver told us to call the hotel when we were ready and as long as it was before 11, we would be picked up. Well, we had a quick dinner, and practically jogged back to the Riverside property to catch the shuttle. I called them at 10:50 pm to let them know we needed to be picked up. The operator told me shuttle service ended at 10:00. I explained we were told 11:00 by both Mansion at Forsythe and the shuttle driver. She said she'd let them know and that someone would pick us up. At the Riverside property, we were told by a young man who worked at the entrance, that the shuttle had left at about 10:53 for the night and would not be returning. I told him the same thing I told the operator and he said he would go inside to find out. He never returned and we stood there for about 20 minutes waiting. Finally, we went to speak inside and were told that the shuttle service had stopped for the evening. Frustrated, I argued with them and they paid for a cab to take us back. Still, for the price and for the Kessler name, it was unexpected. While we were not going to use the pool, it didn't have water in it when we arrived and there was a sign stating it would be closed for a private event the following day. I'm sure that wasn't a good thing for anyone who planned on using it. While the hotel is decorated very nicely, with colorful paintings throughout the walls, it was not the service we were expecting. The food at the Concierge Level was not very good and we ended up passing on that while we were there. In conclusion, I do not recommend this hotel, and would encourage them to be more careful on their bookings and on the information they convey. It is frustrating for so many mishaps to have occurred after we had had so many excellent hotel experiences in the other legs of this trip.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family