“Absolutely perfect! We will definitely stay here again!”

Mansion on Forsyth Park, Autograph Collection
Ranked #25 of 114 Hotels in Savannah
Reviewed June 8, 2011

We made our reservation at The Mansion, after finding a great deal with Travelzoo. My husband and I stayed Sunday, June 5 - Wednesday, June 8, 2011 to celebrate our wedding anniversary.

Please note: I cannot express how glad I am that we made our reservation PRIOR to reading all of the reviews on TripAdvisor. I was taken aback by some of the horrible reviews, and almost canceled our reservation altogether. Thank goodness I did not cancel the reservation!

This is absolutely one of the most beautiful hotels in Savannah, and the service was consistently superb during our entire stay. From the moment we walked in the door, the staff exceeded all of our expectations. We arrived around 3pm on Sunday, and our room was not ready yet. We were immediately upgraded to a corner suite with a park view. The room was enormous, lavish and absolutely perfect for a romantic get-away. The artwork in the room, as well as throughout the entire hotel, is amazing, too.

We had breakfast each morning at the hotel's restaurant, 700 Drayton. While the service and food were great each morning, our waiter this morning (Adam) was outstanding! It's not often you really remember (or recognize) breakfast wait staff, but Adam went out of his way to make our morning perfect. What a gem.

If you have read all of the negative reviews for The Mansion, I urge you to reconsider. This hotel was amazing, and the staff went over and above in every way to make us feel welcome, special and create a memorable experience.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank GoodGrayvee
lindsaygartrell, Guest Relations Manager at Mansion on Forsyth Park, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2011

We are thrilled you chose to stay at The Mansion on Forsyth Park for your special anniversary celebration and appreciate the detailed review of your visit. We are pleased to hear the “staff exceeded all expectations” and you were able to enjoy the room’s park view. It is wonderful you enjoyed the breakfast offerings of 700 Drayton and experienced outstanding service by Adam. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back when you again travel east to Savannah.

Reviewed June 7, 2011

a beautiful but small hotel. The restaraunt was the niceset piece of architecture the hotel was a pile if funcky pieces of art. We were disappointed with the service, almost felt like i was doing the staff a favor being their. The staff seems to be afraid to help! I will select another hotel closer to the historic district next time this one is a dangerous walk to the river front district.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank bilwil1950
lindsaygartrell, Guest Relations Manager at Mansion on Forsyth Park, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to The Mansion on Forsyth Park. Please accept our apology the service was a disappointment and failed to meet both your expectations and ours as a company. We make every effort to provide a memorable experience for our guests so your comments will be shared with the front office team for immediate improvement. We would love to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed June 6, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Mansion and enjoyed it. It is a unique hotel/art gallery. The hotel is large, many long hallways lined with interesting art work. The hotel looks like it was designed to keep some old mansion charm with art neveau twists and very modern bathrooms. Our room was large, the bed was a king with a partial memory foam mattress, very cdomfortable. The bathroom was large and new with a garden tub and walk in shower. The only thing we didn't care for in the room were the two bizarre portriats of older women, one of which stares right at you while you are in bed. My husband took it down so we could sleep. It was creepy, but I think they may have designed it that way, however I didn't get that the place was haunted. Sadly the pool was being worked on while we were there, which the pool was one of the reasons I chose the hotel. We ate at the sister hotel on the riverfront and that was fantastic! All in all it was a good stay.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple

Thanks for the review of your recent visit to The Mansion on Forsyth Park. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and were able to appreciate the hotel’s location and our unique art collection. We do apologize you were unable to use the pool on your visit to The Mansion but hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back when you return to the area.

Reviewed June 5, 2011

My husband and I booked a 4 night stay and were not in the least bit disappointed. The accommodations were lovely (and clean!). The room decor fulfilled our expectations of a boutique style hotel. Initially, the location seemed a bit off the beaten path of the local sights, but by the 2nd day, we were so glad we chose a location across the street from a peaceful and beautiful park -- that's only about a 15 minute walk to any sightseeing destination. Every single staff person we encountered was friendly and helpful. We were nervous and tempted to cancel our reservation after reading some of the recent reviews, but did not encounter any of the problems reported by previous guests. We dined at 700 Drayton, had evening cocktails at the hotel bar and indulged at the Poseidon Spa, so the additional amenities offered by the hotel added to our satisfaction. Kudos to the staff at the hotel for making our vacation getaway a memorable one!

1  Thank Epicurious77

We are so pleased we were able to make your “vacation getaway a memorable one!” and appreciate the kind review you shared regarding your stay at The Mansion on Forsyth Park. It is rewarding to us you were able to enjoy dinner at 700 Drayton and the Poseidon Spa. Our location near the park is always a favorite view and we are glad you enjoyed it. We look forward to the opportunity to serve you again when you are in Savannah.

Reviewed June 4, 2011

My husband and I recently spent three nights at The Mansion on Forsyth Park. It is a beautiful boutique hotel, in a great location right on Forsyth Park. We had a park view room, which was wonderful. The decor is art deco, which was unexpected, but very impressive.

The services provided in the Spa were GREAT and the team running Valet (especially the young lady) knew how to balance Southern hospitality while making you feel like a valued friend.

We enjoyed both breakfasts and dinner at 7000 Drayton, the hotels restaurant, with my favorite meal of our week-long vacation being the shrimp & grits at breakfast. No heavy bacon sauce, just CREMY grits with a slightly sweet caramelized tomatoes and sweet peppers sauce with the shrimp.

So, why the three stars.....
CHECK-IN, at time of check-in, there was one other couple being taken care of, and initially, one clerk. It was clear the couple was having problems having their credit card approved, and I heard quite clearly that another card would need to be offered. The issue continued with the other card so after numerous attempts, the clerk finally called for help. She was told she needed to call the card company for authorization. (Did I mention, during this 10+ minutes I was NEVER acknowledged and clearly heard every word said.) At this time, there are now four employees behind the desk (as I am finally acknowledged and told one is signing onto her computer to help me), and an employee standing off to the side, behind me, not acknowledging anything, including the brace on my foot which I have been standing on for close to fifteen minutes. (I even mentioned the pain I was in to the 'head' clerk, when he told me the other gal was opening). When I finally was able to check-in, I once again said I was in a great deal of pain, and could I come back and give them my card (I had a pre-paid package). I was told no, that without the card, they could not code keys... FINALLY, probably 25 min later, I received keys to the room.

THE ROOM: As a 4 star hotel, in a deluxe room, I was expecting excellent accommodations. Night one, I sure did wish I had booked the Holiday Inn, as I can't imagine their housekeeping team would do such a job. I am not overly picky, there was a light burnt out, a broken cold-water knob, etc... Which should be checked before every new guest, but I know it's not always done. BUT, the fact that I and my husband both kept waking up on bare matters, was just unacceptable. I expected quality sheets, not some that were too small for the bed and kept popping off. HORRID night, maybe I have a bit of OCD on cleanliness, but sleeping on a naked hotel mattress was just not possible. Neither my husband nor I had more than a couple of hours of sleep that night.... (REALLY ruined our first day in Savannah) I talked with the desk clerk, Susan (about 10am) and let her know about the three issues and she promised to call immediately and have them fixed by the time we returned from our tour. We returned about six hours later, as we had a spa appointment and when I checked the bed, the sheet was covering maybe an inch or so of the mattress. I was LIVID, so much so that I took a photo and marched back to the front desk (on my torn ligament) and showed it to Susan. She was very apologetic and called again and asked that it be fixed immediately (a man working with her gave me the explanation that it's a king sheet and one side is longer than the other... maybe he should have instructed the staff about that, not me). I had not checked the other issues, but I am happy to report that both the water knob and the light where working, but failed to realize in my quick visit, a bottle of pink cleaning solution was left on the toilet (pink lemonade for any small child), our towels were not changed, soap, etc.... As we were leaving the new housekeeper showed up and I explained the problem, as well as the cleaning solution and she took care of both items. Towels were not fresh, but I just figured they conserve water.
The following day, the room was well taken care of. (oh yea, I saw a maid working on the suite next to us for probably three+ hours, including time sitting on the bed watching TV)

CHECK-OUT: The room package I choose included meals, gratuities, etc. When I pulled up the charges on-line, there were many fees which I should not have been charged, based on the package. So I went to the front desk and spoke with another young lady about the issue. My conversation was overheard by a gentleman, who quickly asked the clerk to take care of the issues. I did not take the time to review it again, but when I got home found there are still about $50 in excess charges for tax's and tips at the restaurant, as well as spa tips which the spa clerk told us not to fill in, as they were covered with our package..... Now, I do need to add, the GM seemed quite upset and offered to make it up to us on a future visit.

It is clear; 'something' has changed the spirit of the team. Everyone must have been instructed to say "My Pleasure" to the guests as many times as possible. It's a beautiful saying when genuine and appropriate, but to hear it a hundred times a day makes it clear the staff is being forced to do so.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank azscubagal
Reviewed June 4, 2011

Before the negative, I will say the staff was very accommodating and that was a pleasant experience.

I have been a Marriott platinum member for over 5 years and never experienced the two problems we had here.

There were two major issues.

First. The room service food we ordered arrived cold and lacking taste. I had the pasta and it basically was a lump of cold cheese and noodles by the time it arrived. My children had the chicken fingers and macaroni. Both were cold to luke warm.

The second most bothersome issue was that my family brought home bed bugs. My two young girls had bites over the arms and legs. They slept in the same bed. My wife's bites were less and I had several bites on my legs. We needed to clean our house throughly and I believe they are now gone.

I don't recommend this hotel. If you google the hotel name and bed bugs you will find several other references. Looking at the reviews, the hotel has had many negative reviews recently. It was the only hotel available in the Marriott chain the Memorial weekend on a late notice and now I understand why.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank ThompsonATL

Thank you again for your valued feedback. We apologize deeply for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay at the Mansion on Forsyth Park. As mentioned when we spoke, we looked into the issue immediately. We contacted an outside company that meets all federal and state regulatory requirements to inspect the room you stayed in. We are pleased to announce we received a clean report. We take this issue very seriously and have re-trained our housekeeping team. Please accept our most sincere apology regarding your experience with our housekeeping department, as well as the unsatisfactory room service. Please know that we do not take these issues lightly and the reviews we get here on TripAdvisor are being used to help us improve the property and provide an inspirational experience for all of our future guests.

Reviewed June 3, 2011

Checked in later in the evening and received a meidorice greeting from the gentleman behind the desk. Went upstairs to our room, we were exhausted and starving. Cracked open the room service menu and found some delicious sounding dishes. Added a bottle of wine. The guest rooms books (hotel info book) say room service is open 24 hrs. We ordered at 9:45. My fiance went to take a bath, as she was checking out the bathroom, which was gorgeous, she discovered a hair and soap scum in the tub. That grossed her out so she took a shower, the shower and tub are both freestanding. Room service comes around 10:10. I was impressed with the speed and struck up a wonderful conversatino with the server. I had not reazlied that she had mixed up the wine and given me a bottle of wine that was almost $15 more expensive than the one I ordered,the price +22% delivery fee +tax means almost $20, the bottle we were given was not even on the menu! I called room service around about 10 min later and no one answered (found out the next day the close at 10). Oh well, so the next day before we went out I mentioned to the front desk that our tub was dirty and was told ok it will be fixed (note the lack of apology). Came back later that day looking forward to the beautiful pool since it was so warm. We got to our room and saw it was opened but the housekeeper was cleaning the room next door. We changed quick and made our way down to the pool. Now the pool area was immaculate. Except there were no towels. So my lady ran inside to ask the FD for some....25 minutes later it is not getting cooler and I really wanted to go for a swim. So I went back and asked for towels. She gave another call to housekeeping....another 20 minutes I walked past the desk and said do not worry about the towels I will get them from our room (still being cleaned). After another half hour at the pool we had enough and wanted to get changed for lunch. Got to the room and it was still being cleaned. We were gone for well over 90 minutes the housekeeper told us she needed another 10 minutes. So we wandered around the art gallery in the lobby, another beautiful feature at this hotel. After a quick nap we wanted to grab something to eat. I had remembered from the cocktail menus in the bar that the restaurant was open from 7AM-10PM. Walked into the restaurant and was told they were closed, we would have to eat in their lounge which lacked some of the finer items from their restaurant meu. Overall I had a great time in Savannah. The hotel is beautiful and I would recommend it to travelers who want that cute botique experience. Had their been no issues with housekeeping I would have rated it higher. But when something as obvious as the white tub has a hair in it, makes you curious about the rest of the room.

1  Thank NY414

We appreciate the detailed review of your recent stay at The Mansion on Forsyth Park. On behalf of the Kessler Collection, please accept our sincere apology your stay was negatively impacted by the several housekeeping as well as the food and beverage issues you encountered. Please know our guest's comments are taken very seriously and used to improve our customer service. Please know your concerns have been shared with the housekeeping and food and beverage departments as well as the General Manager in order to improve our customer service. We certainly hope we have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.