“Worth a stop”
Review of Johnny Harris Restaurant - CLOSED

Johnny Harris Restaurant
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations, Takeout
Description: For over 90 years, Johnny Harris Restaurant has been a staple of Historic Savannah dining. Three public dining rooms: the "Kitchen", the "Ballroom" with high starlit ceiling, and the Maple Room Tavern all provide an eclectic atmosphere for your dining enjoyment. The signature BBQ sauces are a great compliment to the famous pit-smoked items, and the secret recipe fried chicken is not to be missed. Family ownership gives this restaurant an intimate feel despite it's size, and the restaurant cookbook, penned by Julie D. Lowenthal, is a must take home keepsake. Private dining room bookings are available as well as adjacent banquet facilities with seating up to 200.
Reviewed August 15, 2013

My dad loves the BBQ sauce and takes it home to Iowa every time we visit Savannah, but I had overlooked this restaurant on previous visits. This time, I was told to try the 1924 salad, which was excellent, I mean REALLY good. We got great service and all the food was very good to excellent. It is quirky and big and worth a stop. Next time I am going for the 1924 burger... I hear it divine.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

We ( two of us ) had dinner here, no drinks / appetizer / desert $ 50.00 including tip. GREAT staff, really good BBQ and lots of it. Manager came to check on us, make sure all was OK. This is an old funky place, VERY fun. You will not see another. Place is safe, clean and great for families. Listen to the waiters, spare ribs the best, don't waste your time on the baby backs.

1  Thank morgan s
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We visited Johnny Harris on the Foody Tour and they were so nice and accommodating. The manager came to our table to welcome us and was kind enough to answer a few questions. The best ribs I have ever had...they were so tender and the flavor was incredible.

1  Thank Cynthia D
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Recently ,while visiting Tybee Island, our family ate at Johnny Harris Restaurant in Savannah. We all enjoyed our lunch especially our 4 yr. old grandson. The BBQ is made with a sweet sauce which he loves. I had ribs that were tender and easy to eat. The taste of the Brunswick Stew was good, but the texture was not my favorite. The stew itself was mushy. I like my potatoes, okra, etc. chunky not ground. We ate lunch and even though we didn't have to wait for a table, receiving our food seemed to take extra time. Overall everyone enjoyed the experience. There were 4 adults and 2 children and the bill was about $65 plus the tip. The history behind the restaurant was interesting and some of the original wallpaper and paint was still present. Their were lots of pictures of days gone by which were fun see. I would recommend a visit when in Savannah.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

This is a place I really want to like...the history, the ambience, but each time I find myself a little disappointed, thinking I should have gone somewhere else. The food is okay...good, but just okay, good selection and moderate prices. Service has been up & down during my visits...sometimes it's really good (Kim was our waitress), sometimes not so good. As we only usually get down to Savannah once a year we'll probably be back, just to see if anything has changed.

1  Thank John G