“Worth A Trip to Savannah All By Itself!!!”

Olde Pink House Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Olde Pink House Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #26 of 908 Restaurants in Savannah
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Bryan and Congress
Reviewed November 14, 2012

When people travel they look at what Theme Parks ect.. are in the area, I look for great restaurants. This is one. I try to make it part of my Savannah - Charleston Route whenever possible. Perhaps not a 10 but a definite 9+

Write a ReviewReviews (12,718)

Reviewed November 13, 2012

This is our favorite Savannah restaurant and we go at least once on each trip to the area. This time, however, was not our best trip there. We arrived at 5:30pm on Sunday evening, expecting this to be (as it has been in the past) their most slow time. There were four of us, including my elderly parents (mid-80s). I told the hostess we had no reservation, and she responded that we could be seated in the basement tavern, their "first come, first served" seating area. We said that was fine, and proceeded to follow her down the very poorly-lit stairs. This was very difficult for my parents (and for me, actually) because we were unable to see the stairs well. My mom didn't see, and missed, the last step on the middle landing and slipped. She caught herself and did not fall, but had a back ache later that evening and the next day. I mentioned to the hostess that the steps should be better lit, but she made no comment or apology. When we arrived in the tavern, she passed us off to the hostess there, who told us they were full and the wait would be at least an hour. She directed us to the bar to wait. However, my parents do not drink and were also not easily able to climb up onto the high bar stools. I ordered a glass of the house wine for myself and an ice water for my nephew. The wine was delivered, but not the water. We were standing around the end of the bar, but were clearly in the way of the wait staff and the others waiting for seats, so I found some chairs in a hallway near the kitchen area and just outside the handicap bathroom. Telling my parents and nephew to go on to those seats, I finally got the bartender's attention again to tell him I still needed the ice water and wanted to pay for the wine as well. I was shocked when the less-than-4-oz glass of house wine was a little over $9, excluding tip! I paid and we sat in the hallway for the rest of the hour wait. While sitting there, we learned from another customer that they have an elevator that goes to all floors for customer use. Why in the world didn't the hostess tell us that before dragging my parents down those hazardous steps?? NOT the best customer service, by any means.

While waiting in the hallway, I spoke briefly with one of the male servers and asked him about the crowd at this time on a Sunday evening. He said that the restaurant had been featured on the TV ghost hunter's show and a Food Network show, and had been slammed ever since. It struck me that I had not asked the hostess upon arrival if there were any open reservations in the main restaurant or the other bar seating section, so went back up and checked with her. She said there were no open reservations until 10:15pm. I didn't even know they still served dinner that late on Sunday evenings! I retreated back to my basement hallway seat, watching patrons come and go in the handicap bathroom and trying to keep my feet out of the pathway of the servers coming and going to and from the kitchen.

When finally seated, the table was a small round bar-type table just large enough for two plates, three at the most, and certainly not large enough for four people. When our entrees were brought, we had to send away the bread plates and basket, and put everything onto our entree plates in order to have room for the dishes on the table. (Vegetables came on separate plates, but we also "dumped" them onto the entree plate to have room to eat.) I ordered my favorite dish, crispy scored flounder, with sides of mashed potatoes and asparagus. On the plate were three small asparagus spears, not the serving received in the past. Also, the menu prices have increased since our last visit earlier this year.

Lessons learned: 1) NEVER again go without a reservation, and 2) no matter how nice the ambience of the basement tavern, NEVER again be seated there with more than two people. The only reason for the "very good" rating this time was the taste of the food. All of our meals were, as usual, delicious, even if they did almost miss putting the asparagus on the plate. The litte of it I had was great! Had it not been for the food quality, the rating this time would have been average at best, mainly due to the customer service. I fear they are not able to keep up with the demand brought on by their new-found advertising, and have lost a lot of the gracious service and attitude previously found in this restaurant. The whole event felt crowded, rushed and strained this time and was not the pleasant dining experience usually had here.

1  Thank sittingonready
Reviewed November 13, 2012

An amazing dinner - great setting, delicious food and wonderful service. Our server suggested a combo appetizer of crab soup and their blt salad (which wasn't on the menu as a combo option) and it was amazing. I would go back just for the salad!

1  Thank allygirl_05
Reviewed November 13, 2012

This was my second time at Olde Pink House this year. My wife and I very recently enjoyed a wonderful night out. Jovan (our host for the evening, formerly from Lumiere in Vancouver!) was exceptional, a true professional and made the evening just perfect. Food was better than I remember. All in all, a great night out. Service from all staff was very impressive - five stars!

1  Thank thirty-something72
Reviewed November 13, 2012 via mobile

We ate downstairs which has a great atmosphere with piano music,everything we tried was absolutely outstanding especially the pork shank which was tender and tasty,our servers name was summer and was very good at her craft,I cannot pick one fault with our visit..5 stars