“Important History”

Pin Point Heritage Museum
Ranked #9 of 218 things to do in Savannah
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Saint Louis, Missouri
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Important History”
Reviewed June 23, 2014

I was first introduced to Gullah Geechee history during a trip to Charleston so when planning a trip to Savannah, this site became a "must-see." It did not disappoint. Tour gives a great history of an important and fascinating culture here in the States that a lot of people are unaware exists. The tour gave a glimpse into history of the people and of their way of life. Facilities were well kept, all staff was incredibly friendly, entertaining and educative. Would recommend to anyone.

3 Thank cara s
Tania P, General Manager at Pin Point Heritage Museum, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
Cara,

Thanks for visiting our museum. We are always
excited to have guests who appreciate the history
of this community. Their story is an inspiration to
all of us.

Olive Hill, Kentucky
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Blessing!”
Reviewed June 22, 2014

The ladies working there were Very friendly and knowledgeable.One had lived there her whole life so she was able to share with us firsthand what life was like there.Plus she was very engaging and made the tour fun! The people of Pin Point were just good hard working Very spiritual people who earned their living the hard way,from honest hard work.But they were a close knit group who looked out for and cared for each other. We really learned a lot from our visit there that made us really appreciate these people.
They have a nice gift shop with nice souveniers.Nice clean restrooms.The grounds are beautful!
I would highly recommend this museum to anyone who like history.

3 Thank Connie30
Thank you for coming and we appreciate
you taking the time to share your comments.
We really appreciate it.

Heartfelt thanks,
Forsyth, Georgia
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“Great museum -- admission fee and only open on Thursday and Saturday!”
Reviewed June 21, 2014

I do not know if I missed it, but I was not aware of the admission fee and was a bit put off by the lack of posted fees. The cost is $7/adult and $4/child (no matter the age -- this irked me a bit as my two year old was certainly not going to remember the experience). That being said, the cost is certainly worth the wonderful experience and the attention to detail that was put into this interesting museum. We were given a tour by someone who once worked at the crab and oyster factory, and she was incredibly animated and knowledgeable. Even though I wasn't expecting my children to be entertained/involved, she did a great job of including them. I really enjoyed the quality of the displays and wished I would have had more time to read them (instead of run after my little rascals). This museum is different -- an old factory that employed mostly the Geeche people of the area. We were treated to a "Shout," or a style of praise dancing and singing.

Be aware that the museum is only open on Thursdays and Saturdays. I would highly recommend visiting this interesting historic site.

5 Thank jtr2010
Thank you for commenting about this museum
It was a pleasure having you here.

Best regards,
Savannah, Georgia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“A true American Story”
Reviewed June 18, 2014

The Pinpoint Heritage Museum is one of the most outstanding places I have EVER been to. It is a must see, it is more fascinating than any of the downtown Savannah tourist sites. The video describing how Pinpoint was founded, the tour guides, are fabulous. It is a truly wonderful heart rendering story...it just should NOT be missed. Please go, you will be amazed at the hard work, faith and love of fellow man that made this beautiful community the special place that it is. Young and old will love this spot.

1 Thank Gerry M
Tania P, General Manager at Pin Point Heritage Museum, responded to this review, June 21, 2014
Thank you for visiting our site. We are proud to be
a part of the team that tells this community's history,
and the ones to share this wonderful legacy with all who
come to visit us.

Best Regards,
Lexington, North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“One of the best Cultural Learning Experiences”
Reviewed June 7, 2014

My lady and I visited Pin Point Heritage Museum today. If you are in the Savannah area then this is something you should make time to see. I have toured the historical district in Savannah more times than I can count, and I love it, but this today was one of the best things I have experienced in or near Savannah. I have been to museums literally all over the world, and I do not know if I have ever met a more dedicated and committed staff and guides than at Pin Point. The museum is their story of their history and community and they do a wonderful job in telling that story. Do not miss out on the introductory documentary as it is extremely top notch and well done. Also, ask for a guide. More than likely he or she will be a member of the community. We had Gail and her passion for her community's story was awe inspiring. Every American, regardless of their own race or culture, should know the story of the gullah/geechee people. It was also fascinating to learn that the Pin Point community is the only gullah/geechee community that the land is still owned by African-Americans along the entire coast line. Pin Point is something that needs to remain and the Heritage Museum does it part in telling this amazing story of life in this part of the world. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

4 Thank nancedance
Tania P, General Manager at Pin Point Heritage Museum, responded to this review, June 8, 2014
Thanks for the wonderful review. I am very
happy you came to visit. I appreciate you taking
the time to write about your experience. It is
an honor for the staff to have guest like yourself
visit with us.