“Great Southern Cooking....worth the hype”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Lady & Sons

Lady & Sons
Ranked #101 of 858 Restaurants in Savannah
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Buffet, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: America loves the "First Lady of Southern Cooking" Paula Deen and her The Lady & Sons restaurant in Savannah, Georgia. The Lady & Sons had its humble beginnings in June 1989, when Paula and her sons Jamie & Bobby launched the Bag Lady catering company out of her home. Soon after, the family's landmark restaurant opened its doors to much acclaim. The Lady & Sons offers The Lady's Southern Buffet daily for Lunch and Dinner. In addition The Lady & Sons offers a full menu packed with Deen Family Signature dishes Monday through Saturday, for Lunch and Dinner.
Conroe Texas
“Great Southern Cooking....worth the hype”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2010

Eating at The Lady & Sons was the reason we first picked Savannah as our vacation destination. The enitre experience was good, and I will go back again if I am close to The Lady and Sons. I took the Paula Deen tour with Old Savannah Tours and it was great. Our tour guide was so good and very informative. Plus we received a card for preferred seating card which allowed us to make a phone reservation.
Our food was really good. All four of my party chose the buffett, and we could not stop talking about how good the food was. The fried chicken tasted like it was fried in an iron skillet - not mass produced. The greens were some of the best I ever had. Even the salad bar was good (loved the picked green tomatoes).
Make time to visit the Paula Deen store. I would have like one of everything. We just shopped while we waited to be seated. Our reseravtion was for 8 - we were seated and eating by 8:10.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Greenwood, South Carolina
“Just as good as the first time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2010

My wife and I ate her about 3 years ago and ate here again on a recent trip. On the first trip, we went early to stand in line to get placed on the hostess' list for the 11 am meal. This time, we happened to ride by about 30 minutes before lunch began and were able to get on the list for the first lunch group. On our first visit, we ate on the first floor and, this time, we ate on the third floor. You can eat from the buffet or order from the menu. We ate from the buffet and found all items to be very good. We would recommend this restaurant to others. And, after the meal, we shopped at Paula Deen's store next door and found her son, Jamie, to be both kind and gracious as he signed autographs and allowed his picture to be taken with customers. We would recommend that folks eat at this restaurant and experience good Southern cuisine.

Manassas, Virginia
“So Much Fun”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2010

We loved Paula Deen's restaurant, "Lady & Sons". The reservation process is very organized, we ate on the 3rd floor and our waiter, Travis was very fun. All of the staff was very friendly. The food was great, my husband ate from the buffet, my daughter order seafood, my son ordered a crabcake burger and I had the crabcake. Very good. When we return to Savannah we eat here again.

Marietta, Georgia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“worth every minute of standing in line”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2010

Despite negative reviews and a couple of folks who felt the need, even while standing in line, to "share" negative comments they had heard from friends and family, the whole experience was just great! The reservation process works out well. As someone commented earlier, this a tourist attraction as well as a restaurant. I think the process they have worked out is efficient, run like a well-oiled machine. Once the line starts moving at exactly 9:30, it moves quickly. My friend and I arrived at 9am, with coffee in hand. After we received our reservation time, we returned 15 min earlier as instructed, waited in Paula's store for less than 5 min and were ushered to the elevator. Once seated, we were greeted by a friendly woman with a plate of pipin' hot hoecakes and cheese biscuits. I commented to my friend that if the rest of the meal went downhill from there, I would leave happy. After being served a perfect glass of sweetened iced tea with mint, we chose the buffet. We were not disappointed. The vegetables tasted just like my grandmother used to make. The food was what I hoped for but was expecting less because of the negative comments I had heard. The fried chicken was delicious and the meat loaf, just like home. The desserts were yummy, small, but just enough after that big ol meal! I am so happy I didn't listen to the negative reviews or the lady in line who said it wasn't worth it!

1 Thank lwspear1
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Good Enough to Go Twice”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2010

On my way to Ft. Lauderdale from Cincinnati for a family graduation, I knew that I had to stop in Savannah for a visit to Paula Deen's restaurant. I have been a fan of Paula's since she began on the Food Channel. I stayed overnight in North Savannah and the next morning I drove to the downtown area, parked in a garage right around the corner from the restaurant (there are numerous inexpensive garages in the area), and at about 10 AM I made a reservation for lunch with the hostess in front of the restaurant (she is there beginning at 9:30). I walked around downtown Savannah for about an hour (the restaurant is in the center of all you want to see in the city). When I returned at about 10:45, there was a large crowd on the sidewalk across from Lady & Sons -- old, young, families, individuals. At 11, a woman with a triangle bell to call people to lunch came out of the restaurant and welcomed us to Paula's. I was called by name (at about 11:10), along with groups ranging from 2 to 10. A ticket indicated I was to go to the third floor.
Even though I was a solo diner, I felt comfortable. Although I had heard good things about the items on the menu (eg--the crab cake), I decided to go for the buffet. The restaurant was crowded; however, it was clear that service was very well organized and that they knew what they were doing. I tried a little bit of everything at the buffet--my favorites were the fried chicken, greens and sweet potatoes. The food was nicely presented, very tasty and the line moved quickly. Without a doubt, the fried chicken was the best I had ever eaten! With tip, the bill was about $20.00 -- I had sweet tea and along with the buffet came a small dessert (I decided on the banana pudding.)
Overall, my visit was well worth the side trip to Savannah. At no time did I get the impression that the restaurant was a "tourist trap." The food and service were quality. It just happened that it was Paula Deen's place.
To show just how satisfied I was with my visit, on the way back north from Florida I stopped in Savannah just to have lunch again at the restaurant. This time, witthout a reservation, I was able to get a single seat at the bar and the food and service were as excellent as my first visit. As someone who eats out at restaurants a lot, I highly recommend a visit to Lady & Sons and that you have the buffet. A special compliment goes to the restaurant staff. Everyone I had dealings with were as friendly and gracious as Paula.

2 Thank LancerFromCincinnati