“Service and atmosphere excellent. Food could be better”
Review of Lady & Sons

Lady & Sons
Ranked #169 of 925 Restaurants in Savannah
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: America loves the "First Lady of Southern Cooking" Paula Deen and her The Lady & Sons restaurant in Savannah, Georgia. The Lady & Sons had its humble beginnings in June 1989, when Paula and her sons Jamie & Bobby launched the Bag Lady catering company out of her home. Soon after, the family's landmark restaurant opened its doors to much acclaim. The Lady & Sons offers The Lady's Southern Buffet daily for Lunch and Dinner in addition to a full menu packed with Deen Family Signature dishes.
Reviewed September 9, 2009

This was my second time in Savannah and my second time at Lady & Sons. We were lucky enough that we did not have to put our names on a list or wait an hour or two to be seated. Both times we went there was no wait. I did not have the buffet my fiance did and he said it was okay, not great. I tried the macaroni and cheese and it was alright, nothing to write home about. The first time I went I had the Chicken Pot Pie and it was okay. The presentation is beautiful but the puff pastry, in my opinion is just too heavy for a chicken pot pie. The second time I went I ordered the potato and ham soup. Unfortunately I had to return it as it tasted of salt and potato. Never have I tasted such a salty soup. The manager was extremely nice though. She came to the table, apologized and offered me a salad or something in place of it. I declined and they took the soup off the bill. I am not one to ever return food in a restaurant but it was just physically impossible for me to eat the soup. In all honesty, I think the place is moslty name and I would not wait more then 5 minutes to eat there. However, if you are a huge Paula Deen fan (as am I) and want to try it out then go ahead, you might like it...everyone has different tastes..I just dont think its worth the line that people make for it.
I still think Paula Deen is a great cook and her life story is inspiring to me but I believe that there may be some quality control issues in her restaurant.

1  Thank LCJ82
Write a ReviewReviews (9,633)

Reviewed September 4, 2009

Don’t waist your Time or Money at the Lady and Sons!!!!!!!

Go to Express Café & Bakery instead far superior Quality food and Price

My wife hade been looking forward to eating at the Lady and Sons for months. My wife WAS a huge fan of Paula Deans. We went to eat lunch at the Lady and Sons on our vacation to Savannah. The food had no taste. I got the BBQ pork it tasted days old. My wife got the Fried Chicken and it was horrible, KFC is much tastier. Every thing we ate tasted Prefab like it was just warmed in a microwave. There is no smell of food cooking like you would expect. I hade the barbecued pulled Pork but no smell of a BBQ smoker to be found. Unusual for any restaurant serving BBQ Not to have a hint of smoke in the air.

We felt bamboozled while her recipes are good. Her food in the restaurant is more like something Served in Prison. Needles to say we will not watch her TV program or order her magazine any longer. Just on principal alone we will not support image of Southern cooking any longer as she is a fraud. To say were very disappointed is an understatement.

3  Thank Grobins1
Reviewed September 3, 2009

i have ate at paulas place and went again the following year just to eat there i traveled all the way from illinois i have waited tables for 17 years at many places and no one place has ever topped my experience at paulas i would recommend her restaurant to the entire world deeanna scheib of springfield illinois

Reviewed September 2, 2009

My husband and I had both heard some negative reviews on the restaurant, but we live in Savannah and decided we just could not live there and never try it for ourselves. We went on a Thursday night in August and were seated immediately. Our waiter was fantastic, and the food was very good. Paula Deen's cooking style is not overly fancy or complicated, it is just southern good cooking. I had the steak and tomato pie..yum!! Definitely worth it just to say you've been there, and we might even go back for more.

Reviewed September 1, 2009

My husband and I recently ate at the Lady & Sons for my 42nd birthday. Being a Paula Deen fan, I knew exactly what to expect. Southern food cooked the southern way. Lots of butter!! We got in line for the Sunday lunch buffet about 9:15 and gave them our name shortly after 9:30. We requested a 11:00 lunch. We were told to come back and stand across the street at 10:45 and wait for them to call our name. The young man that came out to "rowdy" up the crowd seemed a bit cheesy, but it wasn't anything too terrible. The food was great. My hubby loved the fried chicken, I preferred the baked. The greens and other veggies were tasty but our favorites were the macaroni and cheese and the sweet potatoes. We did shop in her store after lunch and were able to pick up her recipes for both! :) I guess if you are a true Paula fan, you know what you have to look forward to. If you are looking for a fancy place with fancy fare, that's just not her style. The buffet costs less than 15 dollars and you can eat what you want! We had a wonderful meal with wonderful folks and if I didn't live so dang far away, I'd be a regular!!