“Paula and Adam like it and so do I”

Sweet Potatoes Kitchen
Ranked #22 of 870 Restaurants in Savannah
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Takeout
Memphis, Tennessee
“Paula and Adam like it and so do I”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Yeah, that is Paula Deen sitting at the next table scarfing down authentic home-cooked Southern food with a little Greek zest added. And Adam wasn't wrong when "Man v. Food" pegged theirs as the best banana pudding on the planet. So you're safe here and by safe I mean cleanliness and care in preparation as well as taste and value. Tourists have a hard time finding it in that it's located far from the historic district and locals like it that way. After all, there was a time when Paula Deen was doing the cooking in her place and it was all you could eat for ten bucks. Those days are gone at Lady & Sons but you can still eat well on a budget at Sweet Potatoes.

1 Thank milesraymond

nyc
“Probably the best restaurant on the planet”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

This was honestly one of the best restaurants that my family and I have eaten at. When we were driving there we almost passed it, its exterior is unassuming, just a glowing orange sign above some tinted windows in a two-shop strip mall; but when we walked in it was filled with warm lights that matched the entire freindly-feel of the place. The walls were covered with brightly colored flowers and the atmosphere they created was just one that made you feel good.

Our waitress was one of the nicest people I have ever met, the service was fast, and the food was absoutely stupendous. I got shrimps and grits. It came with a super-fluffy biscuit and had fresh shrimp that tasted just like you think shrimp would taste in a perfect world. The sauce was amazing and went tremendously well with the grits. My dad got a chicken pot pie, which I tasted, that was seasoned perefctly and was so popular that it was almost sold out. My mom got the fried shrimp, and it was delicious beyond description. This is the kind of food you want to keep eating even when you can't fit another crumb in your stomach.

They sure earned their name. The sweet potatoes we had were sweet, steamy, and delicious. The kind they were serving the day we went, was a baked sweet potato with sugar pecan butter. It was heavanly and made the perfect side to our dishes.

My dad, a man who praises food he likes with a "not bad" or an "it was okay", said, in exactly these words: "This is the best food I've ever eaten". And I completely agree.

You won't be disappointed.

2 Thank aprilblack
Cambridge, Canada
“Yummy!”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

We went to Sweet Potatoes because we learned about the famous banana pudding from Man vs Food. We were not disappointed. The restaurant is cozy and the chairs are very comfortable. The bright colours and friendly staff made the whole experience excellent. The catfish was so good. My son had the salmon and my wife had the macadamia chicken. We all had the baked sweet potato of the day and it was amazing....it was a brown sugar and pecan butter. Delicious. I don't have anything negative to share about this experience, and yes the banana pudding is the best! Take it to go if your are too full from dinner.

Visited August 2013
4 Thank Gavin F
Fort Myers, Florida
“True Americana”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

We took our visitors from Italy for a taste of southern cooking. After reading the reviews here I was expecting good things, but Sweet Potatoes delivered even more. We tried the fried chicken (only available on certain days) and it was without a doubt the best I ever had. Ditto on the pot roast. Even the veggies were delicious. I'm not a fan of well done veggies, but the greens with lemon could have come from Italy. Of course we shared banana pudding. It's not a dessert I'd typically order, but it was deliciously creamy. Only thing I'd skip is the wine. But then this isn't a fine wine place. Go for a beer or iced tea.

All the staff were engaging and competent. Just the right mix.

3 Thank NRPNewJersey
Central Florida
“Great food, a hidden gem”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

We found a review of this restaurant and based on the raves decided we had to try it. The food is excellent, the prices very reasonable. We were seated almost immediately. The only reason my review is not a 5 would be because of the waitress. Maybe she was just having a bad day-she seemed annoyed at every question we asked about the menu. I'd go back again next time I'm in town, though, and I'll tell all my friends to check it out.

Visited August 2013