“More than great gelato”

Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Outdoor Seating
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed October 25, 2012

When we saw the sign outside the cafe, we thought OK it's a gelato place. A further look at the menu showed numerous lunch options. We've selected organic paninis and were really surprised how good they were. Probably the best we ever tasted. A small but friendly cafe at City Market in Savannah.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

We stopped into this little cafe on the way back home from Florida. It was in a great location where someone was playing music outside. As soon as we opened the door, the flood gates appeared to have opened as more and more people swarmed inside. That said, it was a pretty tight squeeze, but once the crowd diminished, it wasn't so bad with the musical ambiance in the background.

I ordered the Stella which is a chicken parm sandwich. It was delicious. The woman who took my order didn't offer banana chips, and her co-worker had to remind them to offer them. It was nice to have a healthier option than Sun Chips and Ruffles, so hopefully the clerk will remember to offer them next time in spite of not liking them. They are unsweetened and natural, and I have never seen them offered on a menu as a substitute for chips before. Very unique.

We didn't order any gelato because our intentions were to get in, get out, and walk around a little more. However, the food was quick to come for most of us. My cousin had to wait a good while for his though, so there are time inconsistencies here. I, however, have no real complaints.

Reviewed September 6, 2012

My husband and I stopped in Café GelatOhhh with the intention of getting a panini for dinner and getting gelato to enjoy afterward. When we walked in, it took a full minute plus for the person working to acknowledge us (she was on the phone). She then informed us that the panini grill had already closed... even though, to us, it was still a reasonable dinner hour (around 6:15-6:30 in the evening). We said we would come back for gelato afterward, and after our dinner, we walked back down City Market. When we got to the door, there was a handwritten sign that said they would be back in 10 minutes. There was already someone waiting outside the door who said the had been there about 10 minutes already. After waiting for 15 more minutes, we decided to forget it and left. We did not go back later to try again because we had such a horrible impression!

Reviewed August 31, 2012

My husband and I came here twice on our two day trip to Savannah- once just for gelato and once for lunch (and more gelato). Having been to Italy a few times, I consider myself a bit of a gelato expert, and this was the best I've had in the US hands down. Since I'm now dairy-free, I'm not able to do the classic gelato, but I didn't let that stop me. The first night, I tried the strawberry basil sorbet, and it was amazingly delicious- I even tried to recreate it at home in my ice cream maker after. On our second trip, I tried the coconut lemongrass sorbet, and I couldn't tell you which one I liked more- it was also fantastic. My husband loved the tiramisu, as well as the blackberry. Pretty much all of their fruit sorbets are dairy free. The paninis were also yummy- delicious bread and fresh, organic ingredients. I wish we could have gone back again!

Reviewed August 9, 2012

Gelato was average-below average. Chocolate and peanut butter flavors weren't rich and creamy. Will try another place next time.