“Outstanding organic, sustainable food, Eco sensitive VERY fine dining”
Review of Cha Bella

Cha Bella
Reserve with OpenTable
Cha Bella is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #152 of 887 Restaurants in Savannah
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: At Cha Bella we bring a new and exciting culinary standard to Savannah. Our emphasis is on consistently delicious, organic, and seasonal fare served in a fun and innovative space.
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We greatly enjoyed our recent dinner (as part of a large group) at Cha Bella. In the first place, they managed our group perfectly. Service was spot on and felt quite individualized and personal rather than as a large group. Following cocktails in the bar - a beautifully designed space filled with warmth and tradition, we were seated on a balcony overlooking the main dining room, which allowed us to mix and talk among our group, while not feeling isolated from the general atmosphere and energy of the restaurant as a whole.

Now to discuss the meal. It was really wonderful. To skip to the chase, the next day, and even a week later, those present that night were still talking about favorites of the night. That's about as good as it gets.

To begin, I should say that the wine list was to be commended. Beautifully considered and selected to compliment the menu - of course with our group, several selections were chosen according to meals ordered - and compliments were shared across tables. Everyone was impressed with what they were drinking - and this extended as courses were served.

The meal began with a salad, soup or appetizer and all were terrific. The salads featured the freshest of organic seasonal produce with just the right amount of dressing. The soups were striking in flavor and complexity - spoons were being passed to those who hadn't ordered soup and the other appetizers brought similar reactions and shared bites. Not a miss in the offerings.

The main courses brought similar delight. I ordered the shrimp risotto and am still thinking about it 3 weeks later as I write this. It had a completely different flavor and texture, being quite light for a risotto, than I expected. The shrimp were perfectly cooked and just slightly sweet - allowing the shrimp and the risotto - each with different flavor components and texture, to "marry" beautifully. My husband ordered the swordfish served with beautiful, and again, perfectly cooked organic spring vegetables and enjoyed every bite. I must say that several in the group ordered this dish and it perhaps received the most conversation later ( in raves) .

We shared a chocolate mouse cake dessert - scraping the plate clean - and while it was delightful, it did not outshine the main course - which is the mark, I believe, of a truly wise and skilled chef with no need to try to end with something to send you home smiling...you should be smiling throughout the experience in his/her restaurant.

This evening, combined with our stay at The President's Quarters - just down the street and a long time favorite - was delightful in every way. Cha Bella is definitely our favorite restaurant in Savannah now.

3  Thank ldm010

Reviewed February 19, 2013

Walked into the place and felt like I was in one of those harry potter movies. the outside looked small but inside looks a LOT bigger than the outside hints at.

Went on Valentines and were seated at 5:30. Staff was VERY nice and helpfull. We ordered the 4 course meal for $55. I ordered the oyster stew and Valerie got the scallops...the scallops won. Not that the stew was not great...I never thought stew could have such a huge flavor of oyster but it did. The server said they use the shells in the base for the soup...Wonderfull!!! Valerie's scallops were Perfect! Seared on the outside to a light golden brown and juicy on the inside....I did the dance of joy on the inside.
I got the goat cheese and blood orange salad and my wife got the fennel salad. Both were great. vegies were fresh and the sauce and cheeses were great. Then came the blackened strip steak...Oh My GOD! Tender is not the word to use here and the outside was crusty and black with that great carmelized flavor while the inside was juicy and red. I am NOT a fan of any sauce on my steak but the bourben and butter sauce was not placed on the steak. It was place under the steak in the gap created by the steak being balanced on one end on the garlic potatoes...another big hit. I could get as much or as little as I wanted. it was a very light flavored sauce and went GREAT with the steak. The wilted spinach was also very good.

We got desert to go and ate it at home...incredibly light double chocolate mouse cake...WOW! Not to sweet but sweet enough.

Can you tell I will go back? you will not go wrong at this place. The wine was a hit as well..great selection.

8  Thank Joe M
Reviewed February 11, 2013

If you like an intimate atmosphere, select menu and prompt service, you'll like Cha Bell, which is called Bella's by folks in Savannah (not to be confused with Ciao Bella) The menu is small but runs the gamut from beef to fish to poultry. Vegetables are fresh from the Bethesda Farm. And they have this great "Small Plates" to start and maybe they mean Appetizers. But a combo of the SP scallops and roasted vegetables made a tasty meal that left room for dessert. Both the key lime pie with raspberries and triple chocolate mousse (white chocolate, mocha and dark) were delicious. Good wine selection. Outside area for nice weather and sometimes a pianist, we were told. Great evening.

9  Thank Turquoise2012
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I dined there a couple times, most recently this month. It's OK, not great. If I want Italian, I will go elsewhere. Service is good, food is just so so.....

15  Thank Jimmy D
Reviewed February 10, 2013

fortunately and unfortunately, this was the dinner we shared with a dear couple who now reside in bluffton. the fortunate part is that we got to enjoy their company and reasonably good food. unfortunately, the service was less than desirable. our server was very inattentive, never brought bread for the table and was poor in her follow-up at our table. She was knowledgable about the menu and did make some good recommendations. Things did seem a bit busy, so she may have been distracted. The genteleman who served our food had obviously just returned from a smoke break and this did nothing to enhance the dining experience. The food was good but not great, especially for the price. If looking for a place to go in savannah, I would have reservations in recommending cha bella.

28  Thank Troy L