“Simply Superb”
Review of Toucan Cafe - CLOSED

Toucan Cafe
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Toucan Cafe is the inspiration and hard work of Steve Magulias and his wife Nancy. Their dedication to the creation of incredible dishes and a unique environment began in a tiny restaurant on Eisenhower. Our extensive menu includes Greek salad with Jerk Chicken, Salmon Sandwich, , black bean burger, blackened tilapia tacos, tomato dill soup, black and bleu ribeye steak, Moroccan salmon and a variety of vegetarian dishes. Full bar and a nice selection of wines. We also feature a private room that seats up to 18 . It is ideal for business meetings, baby showers or private events of any kind. If you love honest, high quality food, a warm environment and friendly service, come check out Toucan Cafe today. We look forward to seeing you!
Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

We've been to Toucan twice in two weeks. Meal and service are simply superb... And reasonable. Moroccan salmon is a taste treat. Lots of kalamata olives. Figs. Fruits. Caribbean chicken also very good, as well as chicken marsala. Tonight the chocolate mousse crepe was a special... To die for.

There are newer reviews for Toucan Cafe

Reviewed September 24, 2013

We were greeted by the owner and had a good conversation with him about the restaurant. My wife had the Orange Salmon and I had the Moroccan Salmon. We wanted to lick the plates clean it was just that good. This was, by far the best Salmon we ever had. The staff was just great. We had Anna for a waitress and she was just great. She suggested the dishes we had and she was right on the mark. The desserts are fantastic. We had a good conversation with Shawn, the general manager about the restaurant and the food. We are going back tomorrow for another great meal.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

Visited for lunch recently for the first time. We were shocked at how incredibly busy this place was on a Wednesday afternoon! It was an almost half hour wait for a table. We weren't really in a hurry, so not an issue for us, but might be for those on a lunch break. Despite the volume, hosts were polite and seemed to be managing the table turnover very efficiently. The decor is really colorful and fun, and the place looked clean and well maintained.

It is a bit on the pricier side for lunch for a casual restaurant in that part of town, with sandwiches in the $10-$13 range, and plain salads (no meat) around $10. They seemed to have a decent wine selection, and although I didn't have a glass on that day, the table next to me had what appeared to be a very generous pour. (I almost rethought my decision when I saw it!)

The food was good. I had a Greek salad, which was huge and had plenty of "stuff" on it. My dining companions had the homemade black bean "burger" and the shrimp salad croissant. The black bean patty was great, served open-faced on pita points, which seemed a bit unusual but was not really a negative, My friend said she liked the shrimp salad but that it was pretty heavy on the dill. The croissant seemed pretty standard. Service was prompt and courteous despite how busy they were.

The only negative was that the room we were seated in was excruciatingly cold. I shudder to think what the electricity bill must be there for it to be kept at that temperature on a 90 degree day. I heard other patrons mentioning it around me as well. It was truly to a point that it was uncomfortable and I was almost desperate to leave by the time the check came. Overall we had a decent experience and I could recommend it to someone looking for a place to dine in that area, although I don't think I would make a special trip to go there again. Everything was okay, just not necessarily memorable.

Reviewed September 7, 2013

Fun menu with great tastes. Rubbed rib-eye is one of my favorites. Nice wine selection to go with the menu.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

Great restaurant. Service was friendly and fast. The Bourbon Salmon and the ribeye were excellent. Definitely recommend trying this place. It is a little tough to find as it is behind another building but worth the effort.