“Amazing”

$90.00*
Downtown Savannah Helicopter Tour
Ranked #31 of 218 things to do in Savannah
More attraction details
Owner description: Housed in the former Central of Georgia Railway Roundhouse and Repair Shops Complex at Savannah, the Georgia State Railroad Museum exhibits a collection of historic, restored rolling stock and interprets the history of railroading in the state of Georgia, offering guided tours, student programming, private tour & event bookings, and more!
Reviewed April 16, 2014

My 3 year old grandson loves trains, and this tour put a huge smile on his face (and ours). We loved every aspect of the tour & train ride. Thanks so much

Reviewed April 14, 2014

The Georgia State Railroad Museum is a must see for anyone who loves trains as much as I do. I have been back two years in a row. I am not one who needs to be lead around, or one that even spends much time reading the associated literature. I am a photographer and I love Trains. I adored wandering quietly through the round house and the out buildings. I simply soaked it all up. I did take many photographs as the buildings were built with an extraordinary attention to detail. The brickwork is fantastic. Now the engines...Oh! simply fantastic creatures. They took my breath away to stand next to these iron giants. I hope that if you love trains, that you make this a place to stop and soak up some history. They do have some tours, which are great to go walk inside some of the passenger cars. But if you are a Train enthusiast like myself - then go!

Reviewed April 14, 2014

My 86 year old Dad has been a train fanatic all his life to this stop was a must. The staff was great & spoke with him as we waited to ride the steam train. Unexpectedly, they offered a chance for someone to ride in the engine with them & Dad was the one. Dave, George & the rest of the staff went out of their way to be sure he had the time of his life! They got him dressed, let him blow the whistle & made him feel like one of the crew. He'll never forget it & we loved seeing him have so much fun. Other guest had fun & help take pictures for us. He still hasn't stopped talking about it & shows the pictures to everyone. We enjoyed the other tours of the stationary trains & the young lady giving the tours was great too. If you are into trains, be sure to visit. Check the online calendar to see when the trains are running.

Reviewed April 13, 2014

This was a surprise delight for me! I love that my grandson loves trains, but without him along, I really wouldn't stop to see this. My husband insisted and i'm glad he did! So rich in history and all of it is still here to be enjoyed! One of the few remaining "round houses" in the world. And a little train ride to boot!

Emily_Beck, Historical Interpreter at Georgia State Railroad Museum, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2014

Thank you for your review! We're so glad you enjoyed your time at our museum!

Reviewed April 13, 2014

First of all - DO NOT go here if you have any serious environmental allergies. They were running a diesel or coal fired train around the lot and the black smoke belching from its stacks nearly overpowered me. It was so bad that when we tried to go through the railroad car exhibits, the smell inside from the trapped exhaust was sickening. Honestly I do not understand how the city allows this pollution machine to operate. I would not think this is a safe environment for children, I wish I could tell you more about this, but had to leave in order to breathe. Waste of my $10.

1  Thank Augcruiser

We're so sorry that you were unable to enjoy your time at GSRM! During Steam Days at our museum, we operate an authentic 1913 coal-powered steam locomotive. Most visitors to our museum truly enjoy this special and unique experience. This locomotive is a small industrial switching engine exempt from EPA regulation because of her age and relatively small amount of smoke and steam exhaust. Although the smoke and steam exhaust from the No. 30 is not dangerous for our visitors, and is quite a draw for many, we understand that some visitors with special concerns like allergies and asthma could be sensitive to these environmental conditions. We hope you enjoyed the rest of your time in Savannah!