“9-yr old and adults LOVE it! 12-yr-old not so much!”

Georgia State Railroad Museum
$155.00*
Downtown Savannah and Whitemarsh Island Helicopter Tour
Ranked #34 of 218 things to do in Savannah
More attraction details
Owner description: Housed in the former Central of Georgia Railway Roundhouse and Repair Shops Complex at Savannah, the Georgia State Railroad Museum exhibits a collection of historic, restored rolling stock and interprets the history of railroading in the state of Georgia, offering guided tours, student programming, private tour & event bookings, and more!
62 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“9-yr old and adults LOVE it! 12-yr-old not so much!”
Reviewed April 3, 2012

My 9-yr old son LOVED this railroad museum! He enjoyed climbing and walking through the historic rail cars and getting a tour of them. He also liked reading about the history of the cars themselves. My 12-yr-old daughter was less than impressed. My husband and I found it interesting and remarkable that they actually allow you to sit in some of the historic cars and touch much of it!

It only took us about an hour to make our way through at the end of a Sunday afternoon. There were only a couple of other people there at the time. We felt like we had the place to ourselves.

I would recommend this for rail enthusiasts or anyone who is interested in history.

Visited March 2012

berwick
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Amazing history”
Reviewed February 6, 2012

restorations ongoing in the rail yard. Very well informed employees who were excited about what they were doing everyday. How rare is that?

Visited September 2011
Savannah, Georgia
55 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“One of the best musums in the savannah area!!!!”
Reviewed February 6, 2012

This is one of the best museums in the savannah area...in my opinion... The kids loved it, they rode the train, got to see lots of demonstrations of the equipment, all the staff is very nice, they can tell you lots of great information on all the trains and equipment.... This is a place i'm glad we didn't miss

Visited February 2012
1 Thank jacjasjoc
Sydney, Australia
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 128 helpful votes
“What a great museum, and I don't even like trains”
Reviewed January 10, 2012

My husband and son wanted to include this museum when we purchased our tickets to the Savannah history musuem, and I sort of sighed and went along with the idea. The tour was amazing, the guide a true train lover and very entertaining. The way they have tried to reproduce the past and the way the trains worked and travelled is fantastic. Some serious train lovers have lovingly restored the carriages of the old trains and as you walk through you can just imagine the Chairman of the Atlantic Railway planning a new route. I really hope these devoted people get some serious funding to help complete their dream of finishing the re-enactments they have planned. I really enjoyed the tour of this museum.

Visited June 2011
2 Thank jodi06
Orlando, Florida
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Shopping”
Reviewed December 22, 2011

An incredible journey back in time to the days of the true rail experience. Besides the history be sure and pick up that unusual gift for that special person.

Visited December 2011