“Yummm”

Sweet Spice
Ranked #94 of 897 Restaurants in Savannah
Cuisines: Jamaican
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Description: This is a restaurant that offers authentic caribbean and american cuisine.Our goal is to share the caribbean exotic flavors all over the world..
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Wonderful and Authentic meal! In a small, yet homey place. The chef/owner came out to greet us when he learned we were from out of town... A great guy! I ordered the 3 meat sampler and each tasted better than the next. But if I had to choose I'd say the jerk chicken & curried goat were my favorites. I cleaned my plate and then brought home meat pies and dessert...and so glad I did. Some how this man can also bake!!! My 17 yr old daughter's words after eating the coconut cake, and I quote "I want to marry this cake and have coconut cake babies". Needless to say... Fantastic. Take a piece home with you!

Reviewed August 26, 2013

Great casual dining experience. The owner is very personal, greats everyone, and makes you feel like you're at home. The wait staff provides you with a thorough explanation of how the foods are prepared. Each item had it's own unique flavor and texture. The sampler plate was a great introduction. The oxtails were fantastic. The beef stew was tender and juicy. The jerk chicken was full of spices. The curry shrimp had a very delicate curry flavor and the shrimp were sweet. The Escoviech Fish was superb! The rice and peas (cooked in coconut milk) was a nice sweet contrast to the tart peppers and onions served with the fish. The cabbage and carrots was a wonderful combination. The plantains were delicious.
Prices are very reasonable - Highly recommended!

1  Thank traveler1468
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Sometimes the best things come in small and simple packages. This tiny little jewel has amazing food! Stopped here after a long drive. We were greeted with a warm and friendly welcome by the owner. No wait. Our food was ready quickly. One bite and we knew we had made the right decision for dinner. My 7-year-old daughter said, "Can we come back tomorrow?" The steamed fish, curried goat, jerk chicken, curried shrimp and plantains were so good. The kids claim that the Mac and Cheese was the best they've ever had. Eat here. Yum!

Reviewed August 24, 2013

If you are a lover of Jamaican/Caribbean food, this is a must. It is out of the tourist area, so you will probably have to drive as opposed to walking or taking the free Dot bus. But, well worth it. The food (I got the sampler of curried goat, curried chicken, jerk chicken, rice and peas AND plantains) was excellent and the owner and staff were very friendly. I would definitely recommend this small restaurant. We went for lunch and thoroughly enjoyed the small, family atmosphere.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

We arrived 2 minutes before closing and expected to be turned away but couldn't have been more wrong. Met with warm smiles, the staff jumped into action to move some smaller tables out the front door so they could set up a folding table to accommodate our party of 8. A table covering and enough chairs appeared while the owner, Donavon Smith, told us how glad he was that we were there!

The whole staff was warm and friendly, joking with us and treating us like family. The menu was covered a wide array of choices and the owner explained to our 10 year-old daughter that his Mac and Cheese was a sought after choice...taking great pains to explain how it was made. She is a skeptic but, had to acknowledge how good it was when she tried her brother's order.

I ordered the small Jerk Chicken which was nicely spiced and just the right amount of food. My husband got the ribs which were delicious and a great BBQ flavor. My Mother and sister-in-law loved their beef stew and curry and the kids were very happy with their chicken fingers.

The food was so well done and special but the atmosphere and our servers took our experience to the next level. Since we were the last ones in the restaurant we sat and chatted with Donavon, his daughter (a very mature and impressive young lady) and another delightful server. Since we had all lived in NY (city area) before, we bonded over discussing the differences between there and Savannah; Donavon also took the time to impart some of his "life's wisdom" to our kids.

Will remember this meal for a long time and will keep and eye out for the future successes of Donavon and his crew!