“"Stay Away"”

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed August 16, 2013

We went this past Tues.evening 8/13/13 and we just wanted appetizers,of which we ordered 3,the spring rolls were pretty good,the shrimp were terrible and we sent them back,they smelled very fishey,which is not a good thing.Then we had the tempura which was just OK,almost too hot to eat had to wait for it to cool down.When I got my check I was hoping the cost of the shrimp appt.had been removed,not so lucky,so I ask for the mgr.What a mistake that turned out to be,he been arguing with me that they bought them frozen and only cooked them,so NOT their fault.I told him to take the cost off and we would come back again,or not and we would never return,the cost remained,which was really no surprise.

1  Thank mdnewman1
There are newer reviews for Ta Ca Sushi & Japanese Fusion

Reviewed August 9, 2013

Stopped in for a Friday lunch. I like to try a sushi place on Thursday night or Friday afternoon because this usually when the fish is freshest. First thing we noticed that the place was fairly empty during prime lunch time, several tables were sitting dirty and the floor was super sticky. Some of the staff stood right out in the middle of the dining floor watching the TV while tables sat dirty and un-bussed.

We ordered a simple lunch combo and an order of nigiri with jalapeño. I understand there are different ways to freeze fish and different qualities of fish. The tuna delivered to my fiancé and me on Friday was horrible. It was a very pale pink and had a mealy texture as opposed to velvety. Just gross. There were stacks and stacks of this tuna wrapped and stacked in the sushi cooler.

We asked about the jalapeño nigiri. Neither of the servers knew what the jalapeño nigiri even consisted of. It ended up being a horribly conceived, hard to eat and poorly executed dish. One half of a large, whole jalapeño (deseeded) spread with some cream cheese concoction (not mentioned in the server description) rice, tobiko and a very large piece of the poor quality tuna. The order consisted of two pieces that were near impossible to eat. The jalapeño was thick and the bad tuna had way too many of the white lines in it that would not break upon biting. The tuna just separated from the lines and was all mushy leaving just the white fibers hanging from the bitten piece.

The combos we ordered had some basic rolls and chef's choice nigiri. The salmon and whitefish that nigiri were delivered were large portions, but just not good quality fish. I would rather pay for better fish and less quantity any day. The combo came with a large, depressing bowl of ice berg lettuce covered in standard ginger dressing and a bowl of "soup" that tasted like college ramen without the noodles.

It was the server's first day and he was nice if a little lacking in knowledge. He had the manager take off the jalapeño-tuna thing. I have lived downtown for years and visited Ta Ca when it first opened. At least I know I have not been missing anything and definitely not recommending or going back.

2  Thank zkoz
Reviewed July 25, 2013

The food was very good. The place is well decorated and the music is fun. I did not try the sushi, but I did try the shrimp and chicken with fried rice. All of the Hibachi meals from with soup and salad and its all reasonably price. I would recommend to anyone in the area and I will return!

Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

Went here for sushi based on the many good reviews. The fish quality wasn't bad (although the tuna was not great), but the signature rolls were just weird. Smothered in strange and unappetizing sauce. In a pinch, if you're jonesing for sushi, go with the sashimi or stick with the classic rolls. Honestly, I'd say go to Sushi Zen. It's way better.

1  Thank Jedburgh392
Reviewed May 4, 2013

I love the concept of blending flavors to the food. Very nice fusion concept inspired menu. I enjoyed my sushi so much, I took some back to the hotel for a midnight snack. The staff were very nice, and knowledgeable. The outdoor seating is a welcome to those wanting to get away from the crowd. We will definitely return on our next trip. Great recommendation!