“Excellent”
Review of Maxwell's - CLOSED

Maxwell's
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: State St./Broughton St.
Description: Unique mix of eclectic cuisine from around the world that is guaranteed to please the most discerning palates
Reviewed January 17, 2014

My husband and I and another couple had dinner at Maxwells last night - and we all thoroughly enjoyed our meal. It was one of the best we've had in Savannah in quite a while. The ambiance is extremely comfortable for downtown. Our server, Chris, was very nice and attentive even though our foursome talked and talked and talked. His suggestions added to our pleasure with our meal.

1  Thank slisharon
There are newer reviews for Maxwell's

Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

While a lovely place the buzz is not there and the food isnt special enough. Good for the older set as seems to b their clientele. Owner a bit nosy for our liking seems like she's listening in on your conversations. Need to step up their game with the prices they charge.

1  Thank Jennyjag
Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

We stopped on for a drink and a nibble. Not worth the $45. Both drinks were watery and not well constructed. The tuna was iffy at best. We're pretty picky, but wouldn't go back.

Reviewed December 7, 2013

My husband and I dined at Maxwell's last night during our Savannah vacation. I think everything about this elegant small restaurant was excellent. Our server, Jimmy, was a delight with spot on suggestions for both food and wine. When we complimented our experience the chef came to our table where we were able to express our appreciation personally. The price was reasonable for the quality of the food. We had salmon in a delicate chili glaze that was the best I have ever eaten. Don't miss this small gem in favor of the more famous places in Savannah. You won't be disappointed.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

First and last visit to Maxwell's. This may be a little wordy but... Made reservations at Maxwell's last week and I went to Maxwell's last night in a party of 8 for an early dinner prior to an event. Read reviews and went to the restaurant's prior to going. The place was not busy and there were never more then half the tables in use.
Web page states Happy Hour with Free "Hor Derves". Informed by bartender that "Oh, yeah, it says that, but we don't do it." Asked what kind of pate when I had interest in an appetizer that says "and pate." Told that it really doesn't come with pate but pickled cucumbers instead. "We have pate but you don't get it even though the menu says pate." That was the start. I asked about a hot appetizer while we waited at the bar and I was told, "The chef is not here yet.
We sat down at the table at 5:45ish and the waiter brought water and six small rolls for 8 people. We immediately gave our orders and waited. And waited, And waited.
Now I will digress. Many years ago I went on a fishing trip to Guyana and stayed in a village of 300 Amer-Indians 80 miles from a paved road. No electricity except solar and water from a well. Tired of eating fish for 9 days, I went to a "restaurant" with 3 tables. I asked the woman owner if there was any chance of getting chicken and she replied, "I know a woman who has a chicken she might sell me." Then she left, negotiated the purchase of a chicken that had to be chase down in the yard. It was captured, brought back to me for inspection, killed, gutted, plucked and cooked. THAT TOOK LESS TIME THEN GETTING SOME RARE LAMBCHOPS AT MAXWELL'S.
The salads took more then a half an hour and they were tasty but small. We asked for more rolls while we were waiting hungrily and they brought a few more rolls which they had cut into thirds and did not bring butter.The entrees took more then an hour. My friend next to me asked the waiter for water four times with no success.The lamb chops were good but certainly not worth the wait. I left hungry.
After we complained, the "manager" took $15 off of our bill. I was surprised that they taxed the total amount and then took the $15 off of that. There was never any apology or attempt to truly make us want to give Maxwell's another chance.
I did leave a tip for the waiter. He did not deserve it but I understand that he is taxed on the bill and not what is left.
They don't deserve my patronage.

3  Thank andrewinsavannah
Rick B, Manager at Maxwell's, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2013

The staff and management of Maxwell's pride ourselves on giving excellent service and food to our guests and take all our reviews good or bad very seriously and go over these reviews with the staff to better improve our service and food.

The quests had a reservation at 5:30, they were told upon arrival that their table was ready, 40 minutes later all the guests finally arrived and they were seated. The were asked at least 4 times at the bar if they would like to be seated and start the order as we were concerned about them getting served and out on time. We are a small restaurant with only 15 tables, therefore when we are totally booked it does create a problem in the kitchen if a party of eight is 40 minutes late being seated. By 6:30 every seat was occupied and most were going to the same event. The waiter did tell the party that the kitchen was backed up but that we would get them out on time, they left at 7:15 with only a five minute walk to the event that started at 7:30.

After reading the review and meeting with the staff I did find out that there was an issue at the bar while they waited for the remaining guests to arrive. The guest asked about the Chef's Trio which from the menu reads" assortment of delectable's that may include homemade pickled vegetables, various tapenades and pates or purees" . The bartender went to the kitchen with chef what was available on the Chef' Trio and was told that we had the pickled vegetable this evening as the pate with limited stock was reserved for another dish on the menu. The bartender said the guest was visibly upset that he could not get Pate, evidently this was not properly conveyed to our guest. The comment the "Chef is not here" must have been a mis-communication as the bartender had just gone to the kitchen to ask about the Chef's trio.

Bar snacks are available at the bar and it was our mistake that we had overlooked taking the free hors dourves during cocktail hour off our website.

When I approached the table to find out what the problem was and to find a solution I was made only aware that they were unhappy with the service and the arrival of food. I did apologize to all the guests and was asked by the guest what I was going to do about it. I asked him what he would like for me to do and he said a discount which I was happy to do. I offered a $15.00 per check, there were four checks, one check was given a $30.00 discount the rest a $15.00 discount for a total discount of $75.00. All the checks totaled to $256.00 for a discount of 29%. I felt this was more than fair as the problem was created by the guest arriving at their table 40 minutes after the reservation.

Maxwell's always welcomes the opportunity for the unhappy guest to give us another try so that we can show that we do give good service and our food is excellent.