“Cheap and clean-ish”

Savannah International Pensione
Kansas City
“Cheap and clean-ish”
Reviewed May 28, 2007

I paid extra to get a private room. It was $60 a night for the carriage house, which also meant you weren't locked out during the day. I shared a bath with my neighbor, and we had access to a kitchen. The place was the cheapest I could find in Savannah. The owner was friendly -- although he didn't seem to be a good business man. A couple stopped by while I was waiting for my taxi, and he actually told them to come by later rather than showing them a room and taking their reservation. Oh well. If you're low maintenance, you'll do fine. If you'd rather have something a little nicer where you don't feel like you have to wear flip flops in the shower, look elsewhere.

It's in an OK neighborhood, and the owner tells you where you shouldn't stray after dark. It's close to the park, and everything is within walking distance, although you're also close to the free tourist bus.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Shared bath
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
4 Thank wes4406

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed July 9, 2006

We waited until the last minute to find a room in Savannah on the 4th of July weekend. There was nada available except super high priced rooms in generic chain hotels and those weren't even in the historic district. But thanks to the Lonely Planet Guide we found the Savannah Pensione!
Brian Sherman, the manager, was friendly and accomodating. The building is a wonderful old victorian with amazingly high ceilings, screened in sleeping porches, wrought iron on the huge windows. It's a bit shabby and they are in the middle of remodelling. The AC didn't work terribly well. But we really liked the place.
It's a shared bathroom and kitchen. You get little "sleep sheets" and a scratchy blanket for bedding. But hey - it's a hostel so you shouldn't expect luxury.
We paid 80.00 for the room.
It's walkable to the tourist areas, down gorgeous old brick streets and through many lovely squares. There are resturaunts within a couple of blocks and a big grocery store across the street.
Savannah would be a great city to ride bicycles around, but we didn't have time for that.
Also recommend the Ghost Talk Ghost Walk Tour (912-233-3896).

• Stayed July 2006
3 Thank ashevillejm
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed March 20, 2006

I stayed at the Savannah Hostel for some of my spring break in early March. I was there with 4 other friends and we were all able to stay together in the same room. The room was perfect for us; there were 3 nice sized bunks (all with a top and a bottom bunk) and a spacious bathroom (with plenty of hot water) connected to our room - and if we had to all get showers, there is also a bathroom down the hall. There was also a futon in the room so we could put our stuff down on it. I loved the house; it was perfect for walking around the historic district (no more than like a 20 minute walk and you can take pictures of all the squares while doing so). There is also a kitchen for guests to use. We all had a blast and I am planning on staying there again.
*NOTE: You might want to bring your own pillow, but they do provide a sheet sleeping garment, pillow and blanket. During colder times of the year, bring extra stuff to stay warm.

• Stayed March 2006
8 Thank CamellaLoca
England
Reviewed November 21, 2005

The people running the place were really nice to a friend and I when we were able to stay here in June. It's not in the best area, but luckily we had a car, so getting about wasn't a problem - though for others it may be a concern. The nicest thing about the place - the decent people. The worst? The cleanliness of the hostel which was absolutely diabolical. It was the worst hostel for cleanliness I have ever seen - and I've been to more than a fair share. The sheets given to you are no more than rags. Another traveller who we met there also had arrived into Savannah during the day, and there is a long shut out period during the day (9am til 5pm if I remember rightly), which is absolutely ridiculous for a functioning hostel, and he had to sit across the street in the rain for many hours. It's a shame the people running it were nice, otherwise I would have been in touch with the authorities long before now to have the place shut down. My opinion, I know, but I would be amazed if others could stay there and disagree with me.

• Stayed June 2005