“Location is great but rooms need updating.”

Econo Lodge Savannah South
Ranked #106 of 114 Hotels in Savannah
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Stayed here on our way back home to Florida. Older hotel (use to be Holiday Inn) that needs updating. Desk clerk said that would begin in January. Carpeting needs to be replaced,walls need to be redone. Room was okay, bed very comfortable and bath room was nice. Perkins Restaurant on site thru lobby is excellent. Pet friendly. I will try them once more after the remodel. If not for the remodel I don;t believe the wife would stay again. Price is right but many other options available at this exit.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Herbert S
Tamika B, Manager at Econo Lodge Savannah South, responded to this reviewResponded November 24, 2013

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to write a review on your stay. We value you as a customer and we appreciate your business. We are doing some renovations at this time and replacing the carpet. So I would love it if you would give us a second chance to make amends. Give me a call and I will personally make your reservation. My name is Tamika Brightwell and I am the new Manager of the property. I can be reached at (912)925-2770.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

I've stayed at a lot of "Choice Hotels" but this one is the first awful stay I've had. Location is great, and the Perkins restaurant on site is lovely, but that's about it.
Our first room had a broken A/C and broken phone.
Second room had an "okay" A/C which cooled us down finally after it had been running for a solid six hours. The tv did not work until my husband pulled out the armoir and rearranged the plugs on the hanging power strip. The secondary lock on our door was broken. Clean bathroom and vanity area, looked pretty recently updated. The ice machine was plugged in but was not running/making any ice. The pool....it was algae green. Couldn't swim (huge bummer for me) and when I checked out, they told me the filter was broken but it would "be replaced today." Sure. The hotel staff member who checked me out was rude, and did not acknowledge any of my complaints. There's a sign in the room that says "if you have a problem with any part of your stay we'll make it right, or that part of your stay is free." Obviously that's some corporate [--] that they do not abide by. The whole place was pretty run down and grungy. We ran into the maid on the way out of our room in the morning, and she was rude. Wearing a tight white t-shirt and leopard print leggings no less....don't bother with this place, spend the extra $15 to stay at one of the better hotels. The free wireless was pretty poor, in fact the front desk clerk who checked me in told me she "hated it."

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mrs_Messano
Reviewed July 8, 2013

This room by far the worst I have ever seen in a home or motel. The room was very moldy, dusty, just plain out dirty. The State Board of Health needs to be called in there, the air is not fit to breath.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

This is the worst motel I have ever stayed at!!! When I checked in I had originally planned on staying two nights.The guy at the desk was somewhat friendly,but as soon as I got in the room my blood pressure started to go up. There was mold around the base of the walls and hairs in the bed and 2 cockroaches ran from under the bed. I called down and told the man at the desk and he said he would give me another room. He came upstairs to investigate and stood watch while I lugged my bags downstairs(2 trips and he never offered help). So I supposedly was getting the cleanest room in the place, which was not that clean to say the least. It was better than the roach room, but I still had to put on my shoes when I went from the bed to the bathroom.I checked out early the next day and drove a few miles down the road to a clean comfortable motel.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed April 15, 2013

We stayed in the smoking room so I can understand the smell of smoke but burn marks on the bed covers???? Found hair in the bed (not belonging to my husband or me), floor dirty, bathroom walls had mold, ring around the toilet, and dust an inch thick. I purposely clipped my nails and left on the floor just to see they vacuumed, well the bad new is no! I can tell you I found my hair on the floor in the bathroom and in the tub and the nails still on the floor. The dust was still there as well. I could hear the traffic from 95 but that wasn't bad compared to the cleanliness of the room. If you don't mind not so clean, dusty, and moldy than you found your place. Need some updating badly! Perkins on the other hand was excellent!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank j z
Reviewed April 2, 2013

The Hotel was okay for the location, luckily I had family that cam e and picked us up and took us downtown to the parade for St. Patrick's Day. Well for the price I can't complain. About a 10-15 minute drive to Downtown, The good thing there was a shuttle that pick up and drop off every hour for a roundtrip fee of $20 per person. Outlet store was directly behind the hotel which was a plus not many stores but who cares when you love to shop.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 8, 2013

The good news is that this place is right off of the exit ramp from I-95. The bad news is that it is right off of the exit ramp from I-95, and I can hear the traffic from my room. I can live with that, but not everyone can. I drove around and determined that this was the least expensive among the hotel options at this exit. And its actually a pretty good deal. The area seems safe, everything in my room works and the housekeeping is good. The wifi is decent. If you just need a room for your night on your way somewhere then this Econo Lodge will work fine, provided that you can sleep with traffic noise.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business